Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Aristocrat To cool or not To cool ?
skullnrose 04:49 PM 04-21-2009
First off I know Aristocrat's are cool! I have 2 Mini's and have zero problems keeping them at my desired 61-64%. I live in the North East and so far have had no problems with keeping reasonable Temps even during the summer. I'm looking into an Mplus or MXT and would like to get the most storage space for my money. If I go for an uncooled unit I can get a bigger box for less money than the smaller cooled Box. When dropping down the funds for one of these I just don't want to be second guessing myself. So anyone that owns either of these cooled or uncooled I'd like to hear your thoughts.I hope Bob doesn't read this and hear me calling his works of art a box!

Thanks in advance,
Scott
[Reply]
68TriShield 05:26 PM 04-21-2009
I'm in MD with a non cooled unit. So far so good with the central air.The cabinet stays in the 68 to 72 degree range.
If you lose power,those cooling units wont help you unless of course you have back-up power :-)
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 05:51 PM 04-21-2009
If you're getting along fine without a cooled unit now, then I can't see why you'd want to spend the extra $$ unless you think you might move to a hotter climate someday.

I live in the desert and had Bob put double cooling units in my Aristocrat. It was a wise investment - they run a lot in the summer.
[Reply]
reflex 06:06 PM 04-21-2009
Originally Posted by 68TriShield:
I'm in MD with a non cooled unit. So far so good with the central air.The cabinet stays in the 68 to 72 degree range.
If you lose power,those cooling units wont help you unless of course you have back-up power :-)
Well if you look at it like that if a door falls off it won't hold humidity.:-)

I live in Ca and today it is 100 degs so unless I want a beetle circus I have to have a cooled unit. I have the Aristocrat M Plus THC and it has worked out great. You do loss a little room because you don't want to block the cooling fans but other then that it is great.
If you can keep the temp down in the 65 to 68 ranges all year I wouldn't get a cooled one and save yourself some real cash. :-)
[Reply]
BORIStheBLADE 06:40 PM 04-21-2009
Ya if you don't have issues right now and don't think you will in he future I wouldn't spend the money on a cooled one either.
[Reply]
groogs 07:23 PM 04-21-2009
Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE:
Ya if you don't have issues right now and don't think you will in he future I wouldn't spend the money on a cooled one either.
:-) Don't spend the extra money if you don't have to. Save it for more cigars.:-)
[Reply]
ucla695 08:26 PM 04-21-2009
I live in CA and have a cooled unit because it's a necessity. Right now, it doesn't seem to make sense for you, but do you plan on living in the NE way on down the road? Whatever you decide to do, just make sure it will suit you needs in the future. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:34 PM 04-21-2009
I live in Illinois and have been using a non-cooled unit without temperature issues.

When I retire and move somewhere warm, I will invest in a cooled Aristocrat, but the unit I have now is fine for the upper Midwest.
[Reply]
skullnrose 12:16 AM 04-22-2009
Thanks for the replies. Only real reason I was considering A cooled unit is I want this to be the last one I buy for a while. I started with the Mini thinking I'd never fill it up because I was coming from a 150 count desktop. Well you know how that works out! I picked up a vino temp and it works but It's not my thing and yea it's full now too. I bought the second mini used from Ligero88(Josh)Because the price was too good to be true for a mini with the Set & Forget well that's full too! I have The Geneve 500 count that cheap humidors sells paid 75 bucks used couldn't pass it up and it works great for loose sticks. I guess your answers were just what I was looking to hear Go bigger and if you don't have temp problems now don't sweat it.

Thanks for letting me think out loud.
[Reply]
adampc22 03:58 AM 04-22-2009
i had a dream i few nights ago were i had a aristocrat but i couldnt open it
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:13 AM 04-22-2009
Go even bigger and a get a cooled unit. It sounds like that is what you want and just want your answer validated. If this is truly to be your last Aristocrat then go over board on the size and get it cooled; done...
[Reply]
GoatLocker 02:18 PM 04-23-2009
First, get a cab that will fit your storage needs, i.e. the biggest one you can afford. :-) All other things being equal, a cooled Aristocrat will provide a better, more stable environment for your sticks. One other thing to consider, and this is not to bash Bob Staebell at all, is that the THC system does have a relatively high failure rate (relative to his non cooled cabs). I know a few people who's cooling has failed and a couple have had repeated failures. Bob has excellent customer service, but a cabinet is a long term purchase and if it fails 10 years from now, your options may be limited. Of course, my opinion is based on a small number of failures. I have no idea what the failure rate is at say, 5 years, but it's well above zero. I have no doubt Bob can give you better info if you give him a call.
[Reply]
Up