Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>My Hygrometers are Crazy!!
RHNewfie 09:02 AM 04-07-2009
I am trying to figure out what exactly is going on with them! I have four hygrometer, if I salt test them all in the same ziploc, or with a Bovida pack, they all read correctly. If I then take them and put them in my humidor (that is maintained with an Oasis and reads 65%) one is dead on and the other three are out, some by a mile!!

For instance, this morning I have
65%
59%
51%
49%

Anyone have any clue as to what is going on?

Thanks!
[Reply]
Martin 09:05 AM 04-07-2009
First thing I'd do is replace the batteries
[Reply]
md4958 09:07 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by Martin:
:-)

The same thing was happening to me. Replaced batteries, issue resolved :-)
[Reply]
RHNewfie 09:07 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by Martin:
My bad, should have mentioned that I already did that :-)
[Reply]
md4958 09:13 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
My bad, should have mentioned that I already did that :-)

Im at a loss then. Perhaps post in the "beginner questions" so that Mark will see it for sure. Maybe he has a solution for you (or at least an explanation)
[Reply]
hotreds 09:13 AM 04-07-2009
Hmmm- do you leave each one in overnight to allow it to stabilize? Do you place them all in the same spot?

If you tested them, there is NO WAY you should have one reading 65 and one reading 41 if all the variables are the same.

As far as being crazy- well, you are, after all, an inmate in an asylum. That could just be sympathy loonacy!
[Reply]
md4958 09:15 AM 04-07-2009
is the lowest reading the hygro at the top?

what happens when you rotate the hygros, do they read the same as they did before, or do they read what the old hygro in that spot read?

if you dont see what im getting at, the RH is ususally higher towards the bottom. If the RH drops progressively as you go up in shelves then that might be the answer there.. you might need some air movement

Just a thought

Edit: Im using the assumption that you have these in a cabinet humidor. like a tower of power or something. Is that correct?
[Reply]
Volt 09:17 AM 04-07-2009
IMO - all hygrometers are crap. I basically posted the same thread earlier this year almost to the very same words you used. I now just trust in my beads and by feel. How freaking hard can it be to measure the water content in the air?????
[Reply]
darkninja67 09:24 AM 04-07-2009
I am with md4958, sounds like circulation issues to me.
[Reply]
leasingthisspace 09:32 AM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
IMO - all hygrometers are crap. I basically posted the same thread earlier this year almost to the very same words you used. I now just trust in my beads and by feel. How freaking hard can it be to measure the water content in the air?????

I know I am still a newb but I didn't even have a hygro untila couple of weeks ago. I just trusted the beads and feel. I know blind faith.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 05:02 PM 04-07-2009
I am starting to think I should just go by feel too.

They are all in the same place and left overnight and all have fresh batteries... oh well, shoulda paid the extra for adustable ones!
[Reply]
WildBlueSooner 05:11 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
I am starting to think I should just go by feel too.

They are all in the same place and left overnight and all have fresh batteries... oh well, shoulda paid the extra for adustable ones!
Hmm it really is weird...I would go by feel but leave the one correct one in there just to make me feel better
[Reply]
kfish 05:12 PM 04-07-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
is the lowest reading the hygro at the top?

what happens when you rotate the hygros, do they read the same as they did before, or do they read what the old hygro in that spot read?

if you dont see what im getting at, the RH is ususally higher towards the bottom. If the RH drops progressively as you go up in shelves then that might be the answer there.. you might need some air movement

Just a thought

Edit: Im using the assumption that you have these in a cabinet humidor. like a tower of power or something. Is that correct?

Had a similar problem with my cabinet and an Oasis, would 65% at the bottom and in the low 50's at the top. Once I added a half pound of beads to each shelve and got the air circulating everything started reading 65.

kfish
[Reply]
Up