Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humidification Beads FAQs
N2Advnture 10:10 PM 03-11-2011
Originally Posted by piperman:
Are your's and Dave's (Heartfelt) the same?
Unfortunately, I do not know with any certainty who his manufacturer currently is.
[Reply]
vzontini 10:38 PM 03-15-2011
I have an approximately 12x12x16" humidor with seven internal shelves about 2 1/8" tall. From your site I would use an 8 oz pack of beads for this size. However I can't tell how big this unit is to see if it would work with the shelves.

Can the bag be laid down in a wooden shelf and be less than 2" tall or does it needs to stay in the tube?

How close can cigars be to the bag?

I'm interested in the 65% beads if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your assistance.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 03:42 AM 03-16-2011
[quote=vzontini;1206848]I have an approximately 12x12x16" humidor with seven internal shelves about 2 1/8" tall. From your site I would use an 8 oz pack of beads for this size. However I can't tell how big this unit is to see if it would work with the shelves.

Can the bag be laid down in a wooden shelf and be less than 2" tall or does it needs to stay in the tube?

How close can cigars be to the bag?

I'm interested in the 65% beads if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your assistance.[/QUOTE
Howdy,

If you're talking about the RH Beads, they don't stay in the tube package. There is a permeable mesh bag included.

8 ounces laid flat @ 2" would probably covert about 1/3 of one of the shelves. I would recommend splitting the 8 ounces into 2 mesh bags.

I hope this helps.

Mark
[Reply]
vzontini 08:55 PM 03-16-2011
Thanks for the help. I just placed my order and look forward to trying them out.
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 07:39 AM 03-17-2011
Thanks for sharing a wealth of information.
[Reply]
Samsquanch 07:18 PM 03-30-2011
I'm having trouble keeping my humi above 50-55%, I have 60% RH beads and they worked great for the first 6 months but lately I've had the problems. I have recharged the beads regularly but I just can't get the humidity back up to 60%. Any tips?
[Reply]
bobarian 07:36 PM 03-30-2011
Re-calibrate hygrometer, check for leaks, be sure 2/3 of your beads are clear. :-)
[Reply]
alexa071 04:14 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Samsquanch:
I'm having trouble keeping my humi above 50-55%, I have 60% RH beads and they worked great for the first 6 months but lately I've had the problems. I have recharged the beads regularly but I just can't get the humidity back up to 60%. Any tips?
Did you recently drop a bunch of new sticks in the humidor? Sometimes it can take awhile to equalize after loading it up.

Otherwise, sometimes the winter gives me problems. The outside air in MN is like 10% RH in the winter and the beads just can't keep up with the loss of RH from the humi. Try recharging the beads more frequently even if they don't look too dry. If my humi drops down by 5-10% RH I'll recharge the beads twice a week until I get stabilized at my target RH. After that it seems to be easier to maintain. It's almost like reseasoning on the fly.

Randy
[Reply]
Samsquanch 12:27 PM 04-02-2011
@bobarian - Hygrometer is right on and the humidor seals tight.

@Randy - haven't put a lot of new sticks in lately but I'll start recharging more frequently and see if that works. Thanks for the input guys.
[Reply]
Swif 09:00 PM 04-25-2011
So I have 3,612.9 usable space with my new Humi coming from waxing moon. These means I would need 7 oz of RH beads. If I step up to 8 oz i should be able to go longer with out recharge correct?

My other question is i will not be able to feel this new humi up right away and will have plenty of room in here. Will this effect the RH beads and my sticks that will go in her?

I have two bead boxes that will be be made for the humi and I and thinking of placeing them at different levels of the humi. Is this the right idea?

The other think I was thinking about picking up a remote hydrometer from radio shack that comes with 2 or 3 readers. Have any of you had the experience of these?

Thanks for your input.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 09:06 PM 04-25-2011
So I have 3,612.9 usable space with my new Humi coming from waxing moon. These means I would need 7 oz of RH beads. If I step up to 8 oz i should be able to go longer with out recharge correct?

Correct

My other question is i will not be able to feel this new humi up right away and will have plenty of room in here. Will this effect the RH beads and my sticks that will go in her?

No

I have two bead boxes that will be be made for the humi and I and thinking of placeing them at different levels of the humi. Is this the right idea?

Within the same humidor? If so, doing that wool help evenly distribute the RH level throughout.

The other think I was thinking about picking up a remote hydrometer from radio shack that comes with 2 or 3 readers. Have any of you had the experience of these?

I don't know about the current model but previous models work great.

Your right on track.

I hope this helps.

Mark
[Reply]
ysr_racer 07:47 AM 05-20-2011
Does it matter where I put my beads? Top or bottom of the humidor?

Is humid air denser than non humid air? Does it sink to the bottom?

Thanks in advance
[Reply]
Drez 07:57 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:

Thanks in advance
Depends on the humi. If you just have a desk top then it really doesn't matter. I keep my beads in the bottom of the desk top cause humid air rises.

In my vino I keep a pound on the bottom, half a pound in the middle and half a pound up top. Even then i don't really notice a difference when I had them mostly at the bottom.

In a cab is where you will notice a difference in top/bottom levels. If you have a good seal then the difference should be very small maybe 1-2% from the cabs I've seen.

Also it depends how full you humi is. If you keep it well stocked the rh will hold more steady than if it was empty.

Finding out where to put the beads is part of the fun of the hobby. Play around with it and find a place where they fit and you like it. Overall I don't really think it will matter.
[Reply]
N2Advnture 08:14 AM 05-20-2011
Originally Posted by ysr_racer:

Thanks in advance
Humid air is less dense and typically rises to the top but this is usually only a concern for very large humidors (like cabinet) which is resolved with fans and placement of RH Beads at various levels thought to help evenly distribute the RH.

I hope this helps.

Mark
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 02:40 PM 06-13-2011
I just ordered some beads and mesh bags, once the beads are charged in the bag, can I just lay them into my humidor, or do I have to worry about the moisture damaging the cedar inside and put the bag in a small tupperware container?
[Reply]
jesseboston81 02:43 PM 06-13-2011
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw:
I just ordered some beads and mesh bags, once the beads are charged in the bag, can I just lay them into my humidor, or do I have to worry about the moisture damaging the cedar inside and put the bag in a small tupperware container?
As long as you don't overcharge the beads and/or leave the mesh bag wet, your cedar will be fine.
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 02:44 PM 06-13-2011
That's what I figured, just wanted to be sure, thanks Jesse!
[Reply]
Ncpsycho 09:16 PM 11-13-2011
Should i get HCM beads or is there a better type?
[Reply]
pnoon 09:19 PM 11-13-2011
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho:
HCM or Hearfelt beads are equally reliable products.
Might as well ask Coke vs. Pepsi.

What you buy is a decision you will have to make yourself.
[Reply]
bobarian 09:20 PM 11-13-2011
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho:
I use Heartfelt Industries 65% beads but the HCM beads are equally as good. Check the calculator at HeartfeltIndustries.com for the amount of beads you need for your humidor. Amounts would be the same for either type. :-)
[Reply]
Page 3 of 5
< 123 45 >
Up