Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>A little help with new box.
joeobx 06:00 PM 10-21-2009
Looking for a litttle help. Just ordered a new cabinet humidor and looking for some advice on setting this one up since it's bigger than anything I've had before. I got the Montegue thats 24x26x30. Any help on what to what to use to season it and for how long would be great. Also what to use for humidification (electronic,beads,gel). I feel like a kid waiting for x-mas morning to get here.
[Reply]
Dux 07:39 PM 10-21-2009
I would go with beads, I have a very large cab and have no issues with using just beads.. Check with shilala

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23111
[Reply]
sjnovakovich 02:41 PM 10-22-2009
You are going to love that box man! I bought one about a year ago. Me, my recliner, my tv, my remote, and my Monte by my side.
[Reply]
joeobx 03:35 PM 10-22-2009
Hope it gets here soon, running out of space in 50qt cooler. Any suggestion on how I should season it. How many lbs of beads should I use, I've never used them before. I have about 250 to put in it.
[Reply]
md4958 04:21 PM 10-22-2009
Scott will school you on what you need for beads.

As far as seasoning, i use a small bowl of distilled water with a crumpled up papertowel in it. Take care not to spill any water, and if you do, soak it up, too much water could cause the wood to swell and warp.

Seasoning could take a week or it could take a month... it depends on how dry the Spanish cedar inside is. When the hygro reads 65% or above for a few days in a row you should be good.

ps. you might consider getting some 65% humidity beads. I find that my cigars smoke better at 65, than at 70, but to each his own
[Reply]
DBall 04:31 PM 10-22-2009
Find a pic of it online and post it up here so we can see what it looks like! :-)

I have a cabinet humi also and right now I have (probably not enough) beads and a moist'n'aire. Works pretty well for me.....
[Reply]
joeobx 04:37 PM 10-22-2009
Just like the one 4 posts up. Would also like to find an oust fan or two if anyone knows where I can find them.
[Reply]
DBall 04:45 PM 10-22-2009
Originally Posted by joeobx:
Just like the one 4 posts up.
I'm not seeing a picture... maybe it's on a hosting site I blocked. I'll check from a different browser.
[Reply]
DBall 04:48 PM 10-22-2009
Tried with a different browser and my palm pre... still not seeing a pic.
[Reply]
md4958 05:02 PM 10-22-2009
Dan, hes talking about the pic in sjnovakovich avatar
[Reply]
joeobx 05:09 PM 10-22-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
Dan, hes talking about the pic in sjnovakovich avatar

Sorry should have pointed that out......still new to postin.....buy the way cigar monster has a decent deal right now if you like RP
[Reply]
DBall 05:26 PM 10-22-2009
Ahh... ok. That's a nice little cabinet! :-)
[Reply]
fyrftr 06:56 PM 10-22-2009
I think I remember seeing your shed...umm...hum(ungus)idor in the show us your big gigantic humidor thread!

I am looking at a Montie also, might have to step down a size though. But the deal I am able to get makes me want to sell something to get the bigger one. I have the feeling that a humidor is a lot like a gun safe. Get one bigger than you think you will ever need. That way it will last a couple of years longer, before you need to get a new one!

Tim L.
[Reply]
joeobx 08:46 PM 10-22-2009
cheaphumidors= 575 on my door step
[Reply]
DBall 10:32 PM 10-22-2009
Originally Posted by fyrftr:
I have the feeling that a humidor is a lot like a gun safe. Get one bigger than you think you will ever need. That way it will last a couple of years longer, before you need to get a new one!
You, sir, are a smart man!
[Reply]
fyrftr 10:34 PM 10-22-2009
$375 with $7.00 shipping. If the deal still stands, will find out if still avalible in a couple of weeks when the distributer gets back in state. I'll have to fill it with empty boxes to help hold the rh and to keep it from echoing! Anyone want to buy some ammo?!?!
[Reply]
joeobx 03:34 AM 10-23-2009
Man thats a great deal, thought I looked at about every web site..... best I saw was 495 but had 100 shipping. I've been stocking up on empty box's too.
[Reply]
fyrftr 06:36 AM 10-23-2009
Sorry Joe, It's not on a web site. I have a friend, who has a friend who's sister...

I believe it is a wholesale/distributer price (limited time offer!). I can't really afford it, but how can I afford not to!!

Ya know?

Tim L.
[Reply]
joeobx 06:23 AM 10-24-2009
Tim if your looking for a new box you can't beat that price......beg, barrow, steal
[Reply]
captain53 07:30 AM 10-24-2009
Originally Posted by md4958:
Scott will school you on what you need for beads.

As far as seasoning, i use a small bowl of distilled water with a crumpled up papertowel in it. Take care not to spill any water, and if you do, soak it up, too much water could cause the wood to swell and warp.

Seasoning could take a week or it could take a month... it depends on how dry the Spanish cedar inside is. When the hygro reads 65% or above for a few days in a row you should be good.

ps. you might consider getting some 65% humidity beads. I find that my cigars smoke better at 65, than at 70, but to each his own
:-) Only thing I do different is use a fresh new clean sponge rather than the papertowel. Shilala Beads:-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up