Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 139 of 270
« First < 3989129137138139 140141149189239 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
pektel 11:58 PM 10-28-2011
First time using this rub, Peter. Thanks for the confidence. The gf decided to throw a Halloween party tomorrow, so I'm cooking for a few guests as well. I'm pretty new to the smoker, but it's been a fun experience so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
pnoon 12:04 AM 10-29-2011
Originally Posted by pektel:
First time using this rub, Peter. Thanks for the confidence. The gf decided to throw a Halloween party tomorrow, so I'm cooking for a few guests as well. I'm pretty new to the smoker, but it's been a fun experience so far.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds delicious.

I was given this book by a very kind and generous inmate.
http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Cha...9868041&sr=1-2

Worth its weight in gold.
[Reply]
pektel 12:07 AM 10-29-2011
And thanks for the link. Going to order it now :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
OLS 03:21 PM 10-29-2011
Remember the cardinal rule of smoking, since you are going for the guest-feeding routine....THIN, BLUE smoke,
no billowing white or gray smoke. Glad to see you are enjoying the cave-man's art...I know I never smoked
anything until about three years ago, and now I am addicted. it's such a great thing to have delicious
meat that tastes better than you can get in a lot of "barbecue" places and to have it last so long in the fridge
if you can't get to it fast enough. The magical smoke rocks.
[Reply]
GWN 07:02 AM 10-30-2011
Family coming over today.
Two racks of pork ribs the fridge I rubbed with Magic Dust last night.
Also planning to debone two whole chickens and stuff them with ham, provolone, spinach, mushrooms, onion and a little apple and top with bacon.
Rest of the bacon will be used for ABTs. :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 09:51 AM 10-30-2011
I know some have had bad luck with FoodSaver, I haven't and this is a great deal.

Foodsaver starter pack for $48, once you add it to your cart.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.asp...urce=MainImage
[Reply]
jonumberone 10:01 AM 10-30-2011
Originally Posted by kydsid:
I know some have had bad luck with FoodSaver, I haven't and this is a great deal.

Foodsaver starter pack for $48, once you add it to your cart.

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.asp...urce=MainImage
Just ordered! :-)

Thanks for the heads up, Jason!
[Reply]
pnoon 12:28 PM 10-30-2011
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
hey pnoon.. did you brine your salmon before smoking?

found a link for a bradley and cold smoking salmon... http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=55.0
Originally Posted by pnoon:
No.
I did a dry cure for 36 hours. I will post the recipe this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
As promised:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=50507

This turned out really good.
[Reply]
replicant_argent 03:32 PM 10-30-2011
Shoulder rubbed with kosher salt, pepper, brown sugar and smoked paprika, wrapped and back in the fridge to rest tonight and into the smoker tomorrow morning. I think I may stuff some jalapenos with Italian sausage, panko, and grana padano and toss those on the empty racks for kicks and giggles. Maybe some wings too.
[Reply]
proguy747 02:29 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I typically use sharp cheddar and alder. Of all the cheeses and smoke wood combos that I tired, it yielded the best and most popular results.

It's pretty easy to do. All you need is a tin can, a weller soldering iron (other brands seem to burn up under this misuse) and some wood chips. Clean the grates on the grill or use pastry cooling racks to hold the cheese above the grate and load the can, stuff the iron in it, put it down at the bottom, let it run for 1-3 hours depending on how much smoke it's making, how thick the cheese is and smoky you like things. After you pull the cheese off, cool it down, then vacuum seal it and leave it alone for at least a week or so.

If you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a pm.
wow great and inexpensive way to cold smoke. I have been dreaming of getting a MAK 2star but this will keep those dreams away for awhile.
[Reply]
proguy747 02:37 PM 10-31-2011
Getting ready to head out and buy supplies for this weekends showdown.

LSU Alabama. Everyone wants Baby backs, i wanted brisket but they are paying so ribs it is. I have a local butcher that gets some great BB's the size of spares. Cost a little more but the pork has a clean taste that you cant get at the stores around here. Going with to rubs, one is my custom brown sugar based rub that everyone loves ( too sweet for me). Second is my favorite rib tickler. All smoked on my WSM with Hickory and cherry. Might have to get some pics up.
[Reply]
manny 04:10 PM 10-31-2011

Seasoned with salt, pepper, mashed garlic, sour orange, and Mojo.

Placed in an oven bag for two days. smoked for 5 hours.

I should have let it smoked for more time, i need a two chamber smoker in order to control heat .
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:39 PM 11-03-2011
Originally Posted by manny:

Seasoned with salt, pepper, mashed garlic, sour orange, and Mojo.

Placed in an oven bag for two days. smoked for 5 hours.

I should have let it smoked for more time, i need a two chamber smoker in order to control heat .
brisket?
[Reply]
kydsid 08:32 AM 11-04-2011
Hey all question on Pork Shoulder?

To date I have only made pulled pork from pork butt's I got at the grocery store. Having a house warming with a few people so got the Costco Pork Shoulder double pack.

Do ya'll trim down the shoulder and just smoke the butt for pulled pork or just throw it all on the smoker and go hog wild?
[Reply]
kydsid 08:35 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
Just ordered! :-)

Thanks for the heads up, Jason!
You're welcome Dom. I have the quite older version of that same sealer. Had it for years. Only seal stuff maybe once a month. Hasn't let me down yet *Knock on wood*
[Reply]
pnoon 08:36 AM 11-04-2011
Originally Posted by kydsid:
Hey all question on Pork Shoulder?

To date I have only made pulled pork from pork butt's I got at the grocery store. Having a house warming with a few people so got the Costco Pork Shoulder double pack.

Do ya'll trim down the shoulder and just smoke the butt for pulled pork or just throw it all on the smoker and go hog wild?
:-)
[Reply]
Steve 09:21 AM 11-04-2011
Go for broke brother, throw it all on!
[Reply]
kydsid 09:32 AM 11-04-2011
How can I not follow the advice of the BBQ MacGyver and a guy with one of the biggest BBQ Pits I know! :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 09:34 AM 11-04-2011
On another note the old lady has been jonesing for Carolina pulled pork so I looked up a sauce at the BBQ Bretheren.

What do ya'll think and/or use yourself?

1 C Cider vinegar 1 T Brown sugar 1 t salt, or to taste ½ t Ground cayenne ½ t Ground black pepper
[Reply]
T.G 11:02 AM 11-04-2011
I prefer a mustard or a lexington style sauce myself. For something simple like a spiced vinegar sauce similar to what you posted, I just use Suka Pinakurat brand Philippine spicy coconut vinegar that Benedic turned me on to.

Here's two good sauces that I have found:

Miss Piggy Mustard Sauce

1 cup Mustard
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Cider vinegar
1/4 cup Brown sugar, light
2 tablespoons Chili powder
1 teaspoon Pepper
1 teaspoon White pepper
1 teaspoon Cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Hot sauce
1 teaspoon Soy sauce, dark
2 tablespoons Butter

Combine all ingredients except soy sauce and butter. Add the vinegar last. Add to your desired thickness.
Simmer for 10 minutes.
Remove from heat and add butter and soy sauce.

Lexington sauce
(I know, not a Carolina sauce)

1 c cider vinegar
1/4 c water
1/4 c ketchup
2 t Worcestershire sauce
1 T dark brown sugar
1/2 t cayenne pepper
1 t fresh ground black pepper
1 t salt
1/2 t chipotle pepper

Simmer 10 minutes.