Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Women's World Cup...USA beats Brazil...
BigAsh 05:14 PM 07-10-2011
Great header by Amy Wambach to tie it 2-2....USA wins on PK's...

http://eye-on-sports.blogs.cbssports...63034/30568372
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:03 PM 07-10-2011
It was an awesome game to watch, great resolve by the US to fight back when down a player. The US ladies got some questionable calls against them that cost them both goals and had to score before the clock struck midnight. :-)

I found it slightly ironic and funny that the fans (US and neutral) were booing Marta everytime she touched the ball for the 'flop' and subsequent second penalty kick. Also the US scoring in the extra time of overtime was fitting as they were given it by a bush league stalling technique by the Brazilian defense. :-)
[Reply]
rebelknight 06:07 PM 07-10-2011
Abby grew up 10 minutes from where I live. Everyone here loves her and they were all going crazy today. World class player and person. U.S.A. U.S.A.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:02 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
It was an awesome game to watch, great resolve by the US to fight back when down a player. The US ladies got some questionable calls against them that cost them both goals and had to score before the clock struck midnight. :-)

I found it slightly ironic and funny that the fans (US and neutral) were booing Marta everytime she touched the ball for the 'flop' and subsequent second penalty kick. Also the US scoring in the extra time of overtime was fitting as they were given it by a bush league stalling technique by the Brazilian defense. :-)
I am thrilled with the US victory. A testament to playing hard until the final whistle.

As for the officiating, I think the referee team did an outstanding job except for one, and only one, questionable call. Retaking the PK due to encroachment was astounding. I thought the awarding of the PK and subsequent red card was fair and appropriate. As for time wasting, it happens. I think it's a travesty when it happens but a team does what it can within the laws of the game to work the clock. The referee can and did issue yellow cards for delaying a restart and added time as required.

:-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:07 PM 07-10-2011
I have to disagree on the PK call. two players both sticking their legs out for a ball, both fall down it is called a PK.

When the ball was flipped over the defenders head, it became a 50/50 ball IMHO.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:11 PM 07-10-2011
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
I have to disagree on the PK call. two players both sticking their legs out for a ball, both fall down it is called a PK.

When the ball was flipped over the defenders head, it became a 50/50 ball IMHO.
Looking at the reply, the defender (Buehler) fouled the Brazilian attacker from behind who had a clear goal scoring opportunity. Fairly cut and dried, IMO.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:16 PM 07-10-2011
i have sat here for the last couple of minutes watching the replay and i just don't see where Buehler is behind her. they are shoulder to shoulder as best i can tell.
[Reply]
pnoon 10:21 PM 07-10-2011
i have sat here for the last couple of minutes and i just don't see where Buehler is behind her. they are shoulder to shoulder as best i can tell.
Actually, the position of the player(s) when the foul was committed or who had possession (50/50 ball as you assert) does not enter into the judgement or penalizing misconduct. If a player commits a foul and denies an obvious goal scoring opportunity, the referee must send off the player (red card) and restart with a DFK - unless the foul occurred in the penalty area. In which case the restart is a PK.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:25 PM 07-10-2011
I understand that. I just don't see it as being a foul to begin with. no matter where it was committed.

anyway, back to the celebrations of a wonderful win by the ladies in blue. it was by far one of the best football matches that i have ever watched. well, jumble through as the slow internet here in bangladesh didn't allow for a nice smooth stream of the game. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 10:50 PM 07-10-2011
I understand that. I just don't see it as being a foul to begin with. no matter where it was committed.

anyway, back to the celebrations of a wonderful win by the ladies in blue. it was by far one of the best football matches that i have ever watched. well, jumble through as the slow internet here in bangladesh didn't allow for a nice smooth stream of the game. :-)
A great win indeed. Bring on France.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:55 PM 07-10-2011
yes. luckily i will be back in Virginia by then and can watch it on my own TV. :-)
[Reply]
Up