Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 70
« First < 678 9101858 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Homebrewers - Whats in the fermenter?
BeerAdvocate 01:06 PM 02-24-2010
I brewed a bourbon barrel porter 6 months ago that is aging good. Other than that
Barleywines and Imperial Stouts age the best
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:28 PM 02-24-2010
+1 on the barleywine & stouts. Typically, the higher alcohol content beers tend to cellar the best. You can also put lambics in that category, if you're an adventurous brewer!

Although, I have to admit that just about every beer I've brewed ages pretty well. I've written previously about some "holiday beers" I brewed in 1995 & 1996 that are still very drinkable. My guess is that the yeast pack helps preserve homebrew to some extent, but that's just my :-) Who knows why they keep, I just know that they do!
[Reply]
kenstogie 07:58 PM 02-24-2010
I know my cider ages very well and is SUPER ez to brew but would like beer too. I brewed an imp stout and that's aging well but looking for something more delicate and quaffible.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
kaisersozei 11:36 AM 03-02-2010
Put a Bohemian Pilsner in my 48 degree garage/gym/brewhouse this weekend. My first lager in about 20 years. :-) After hundreds of ale batches, it's kinda unnerving to see the fermenter bubbling away at such a low temp!
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:04 AM 03-03-2010
There are some great lager beers and Czech Pilsners out there but I dont think I will ever do a lager. I just dont have the desire or patience to.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 06:03 AM 03-04-2010
I did a WestCoast PaleAle last night similar to Sierra Nevada.
Simple recipe with all Cascade Hops!
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 07:08 AM 03-10-2010
Dry Hopped my HopRod Rye Clone last night and started my Toasted Coconut Porter
[Reply]
ashtonlady 01:32 PM 03-10-2010
That Porter sounds good.
[Reply]
landhoney 03:00 PM 03-10-2010
Brewing a Barleywine and an Pale Ale tonight, it's going to be a long night.
[Reply]
newcigarz 03:02 PM 03-10-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
:-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 06:46 PM 03-10-2010
Well knowing summer is on the way and brewing season is pretty much here I got a couple of kits from Austing HB.... The first was a classic dunkelweizen and it's great for summer the second I had never heard of was aWheat Stout I love wheat beers and stouts so how could I go wrong?

Has anyone ever had a Wheat Stout?
It's described as "a perfect balance between a stout and wheat style beer. It features Black patent, crystal 60 L, black roasted barley, Carawheat®, and chocolate malt. O.G. = 1.054 Approximately 5.2% ABV."

I got the extract kits with the White Labs British Ale liquid yeast.
[Reply]
landhoney 08:16 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Has anyone ever had a Wheat Stout?
It's described as "a perfect balance between a stout and wheat style beer. It features Black patent, crystal 60 L, black roasted barley, Carawheat®, and chocolate malt. O.G. = 1.054 Approximately 5.2% ABV."

I got the extract kits with the White Labs British Ale liquid yeast.
Let us know how it turns out. :-)
[Reply]
landhoney 08:18 AM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by landhoney:
:-) It was a long night, but both are chuggin away this morning, both using Pacman yeast. :-) Once the Barleywine is done fermenting it's getting racked into my bourbon barrel.
[Reply]
Jbailey 01:28 PM 03-11-2010
Sounds like you got a nice system there Seth.

I've been wanting to start home brewing with friend. Lucky for me he's been doing it for while and got pretty good at it over the years.

All this reading makes be want to start some right now. :-)
[Reply]
kenstogie 02:03 PM 03-11-2010
Originally Posted by Jbailey:
Sounds like you got a nice system there Seth.

I've been wanting to start home brewing with friend. Lucky for me he's been doing it for while and got pretty good at it over the years.

All this reading makes be want to start some right now. :-)
Do it! I just can't buy beer of this quality for even remotely the same price if at all, nor can I taylor it the way I like as I can w/homebrews.
[Reply]
Resipsa 02:42 PM 03-11-2010
I haven't brewed at all the past few years, my gear is just cllecting dust in the cellar. Have to break it out this spring. Anybody else have one of the fermentap conical fermenters? I've got the ten gallon model
[Reply]
kaisersozei 08:43 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by kenstogie:
Do it! I just can't buy beer of this quality for even remotely the same price if at all, nor can I taylor it the way I like as I can w/homebrews.
I agree with you on the second part, but homebrewing has definitely gotten more expensive in the past few years. The "hops crisis" really pushed up the price for most of my beers. I'm averaging around $45/batch, unless I salvage & repitch yeast--then I save about $8.

Would still rather brew my own, though!
[Reply]
ashtonlady 10:06 AM 03-12-2010
Okay newbee question. How many ounces is in a final product?
[Reply]
Resipsa 10:18 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by ashtonlady:
Okay newbee question. How many ounces is in a final product?
That's up to the brewer and their equipment. Most people brew 5 gallon batches or multiples thereof. Glass carboys used for the fermentin are generally 5 gallons, my conical fermenter is 10
[Reply]
Scimmia 10:35 AM 03-12-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
I agree with you on the second part, but homebrewing has definitely gotten more expensive in the past few years. The "hops crisis" really pushed up the price for most of my beers. I'm averaging around $45/batch, unless I salvage & repitch yeast--then I save about $8.

Would still rather brew my own, though!
Buying in bulk, prices are pretty cheap right now. Most hops are $7-$13/lb and base malt is <$25/sack. All plus shipping if you don't live close to a warehouse, of course.
[Reply]
Page 8 of 70
« First < 678 9101858 > Last »
Up