Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Humi Leak or Paranoia?
FrequenC 10:17 PM 12-07-2008
So here's the situation, I've had my humi for about a month and a half (first one) and it's a glass top humi. I seasoned it for about 6 days with the distilled water/bowl method and once I felt it was seasoned I began placing some cigars in it. I ordered some 65% beads from heartfelt and it held at 63-65% for about 2 weeks (calibrated digi hygro). I've got one of the Small Round 65% humi devices as well as the stock humi puck (removed the floral sponge and put in 65% beads).

For the last 2-3 weeks the hygro has been reading at about 58-60% so I'm wondering if there is a leak anywhere. The humi closes properly (doesn't slam shut, has the nice "whoosh" effect when the top drops) and I can't exactly do the flashlight test as it's a glass top :-)

The beads seem to dry out rather quickly which is why I am concerned. For example, on Friday I charged the beads in both devices with distilled water. The heartfelt puck I charged completely (every bead was clear) because I wanted to see how fast they were drying out. I came home about an hour ago and I'd say about 50-60% of the beads are still clear, the others are starting to dry or are completely dried out.

Now am I being paranoid or is there a leak somewhere? Is there anything I can do to test for a leak in a glass top (besides what I've done with the beads) or should I just go ahead and put some sealant around the glass?

Thanks for reading :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:23 PM 12-07-2008
what humidor was it? im dealing with the same thing, i have a 300count...

and, it has 65% heartfelts... and its holding at 61%... for about 2 weeks now, i think im jsut oging to buy some 70% to make up for the leak.
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:28 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by s15driftking:
what humidor was it? im dealing with the same thing, i have a 300count...

and, it has 65% heartfelts... and its holding at 61%... for about 2 weeks now, i think im jsut oging to buy some 70% to make up for the leak.

This is the humi here:
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/Merchan...roduct_Count=0

Just a little smaller than a 300 count :-)
[Reply]
Heliofire 10:37 PM 12-07-2008
I think that it might be just winter time humidity issues we all deal with, I asked a question about this last week here is the link to that thread. I hope that helps.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5424
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:39 PM 12-07-2008
put tape around the seal... all the way around... then cut a piece out of a large ziplock bag and tape it over the glass....

You will have an almost guranteed seal that way to see if its the deal or the glass.. do them at separate times.

USE BLUE TAPE, painters tape, dont ruin that beautiful finish!
[Reply]
FrequenC 10:41 PM 12-07-2008
Originally Posted by Heliofire:
I think that it might be just winter time humidity issues we all deal with, I asked a question about this last week here is the link to that thread. I hope that helps.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5424

Thanks for that link Kipp, makes me feel a little more at ease now! :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 10:49 PM 12-07-2008
im still unhappy!

i have to wait until winter is over, haha
[Reply]
kaisersozei 05:43 AM 12-08-2008
I have a Bally II glasstop, and have always been suspicious about the quality of the seal around the glass. During the winter it sits at about 60%, with 65% Heartfelt beads inside. My house is so dry that whenever I open the humi the rh drops to the low 50s almost immediately, but quickly stabilizes (back to 60%) once shut. I'm not too worried about it, but if the "stable" rh continues to drop, I'll probably just place it into my coolidor during the winter.
[Reply]
goalie204 05:47 AM 12-08-2008
Alex, I had a very similar problem, after seasoning i was dropping to as low as 52-54% - I believe the culprit is the winter. My ambient humidity is around 20% and I am currently re-seasoning my humidor for 14 days just because of the paranoia that the first time it may not have absorbed proper moisture (again because of cold weather) But i have beads on the way and hopefully 14 days of seasoning + beads will help. I'm also considering putting my humidor in a closet along with my room humidifier just so it can have a more humid place to live for the remainder of the cold season. Damn you cold Canadian weather! Hope this helps
[Reply]
neoflex 06:28 AM 12-08-2008
It's the Winter weather. My Oasis in the summer months set at 60% usually keeps the cabinet at 65%. A few weeks ago I noticed the cabinet dropping into the high 50's so I bumped the setting up to 70% which is keeping it between 68-70% which is a little wet for my tastes but I decided to keep it a little more on the wet side for the winter so should the Oasis run low I am more likely to catch it before she drops into the low 50s. I also smoke a lot less in the winter so it should not be too big an issue.
Also if you are running central heat it tends to dry out your home real well which will also effect your humidor. So it's probably more than likely the weather as this time of year challenges a lot of us anal humidity watchers.:-)
[Reply]
Langod 07:40 AM 12-08-2008
Alex,
Do you have enough beads? I've read a few recommendations that you get twice as many beads as would normally be needed for your humi, if your wintertime climate has low humidity.
[Reply]
FrequenC 08:12 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by goalie204:
Alex, I had a very similar problem, after seasoning i was dropping to as low as 52-54% - I believe the culprit is the winter. My ambient humidity is around 20% and I am currently re-seasoning my humidor for 14 days just because of the paranoia that the first time it may not have absorbed proper moisture (again because of cold weather) But i have beads on the way and hopefully 14 days of seasoning + beads will help. I'm also considering putting my humidor in a closet along with my room humidifier just so it can have a more humid place to live for the remainder of the cold season. Damn you cold Canadian weather! Hope this helps

Haha damn Canadian weather indeed! Thanks for the reply Myles! I'll probably just settle down with the OHD (Obsessive Humidity Disorder :-)) and just keep adding distilled water to the beads as needed for the remainder of the winter!

Originally Posted by Langod:
Alex,
Do you have enough beads? I've read a few recommendations that you get twice as many beads as would normally be needed for your humi, if your wintertime climate has low humidity.

I've got about 2-3 times the required amount of beads so I'm good in that department :-)
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:45 AM 12-08-2008
well, i tested for leaks last night.... i sealed everything and left it for 15 hours....

no leaks... just winter weather... the RH went up 1 percent to 62... and it fluctuates between 61 and 62 anyways...
[Reply]
s15driftking 08:46 AM 12-08-2008
Originally Posted by FrequenC:

I've got about 2-3 times the required amount of beads so I'm good in that department :-)

same here, i have enough beads for 4 cubis feet... and my humi is 1.4 cubic feet
[Reply]
neoflex 09:07 AM 12-08-2008
Looks like the humidor is ready for a hurricane to boot!:-):-) Glad to see you you narrowed it down to the weather!:-)
[Reply]
Cyanide 09:12 AM 12-08-2008
Similar issues here. I have been able to hover at 63% with 4 small cups of distilled water in my 75 count. I have put weatherstripping along inside of lid to improve seal.

What I am considering next is either:

a) putting humidor in my newly set up coolidor
b) putting humidor in one of those large "clothing-storage" ziplock bags. Seen these before? They are at almost any department/grocery store. They come in sizes large enough to stuff a body inside :-)

With the ziplock idea, then you can throw some of that wetted down cat-litter crystal stuff I have been hearing about (AKA poorboys beads) inside the ziplock, outside the humidor and then the humidor will be surrounded by a 70% RH environment, which should help it keep any RH inside you like.

Cheers

Cyanide
[Reply]
Up