Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Noob Contest blind review
Poronico 05:23 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
Alright Jesse blew mine out the water haha. Nice walk thru.

Pre-light:
The draw was tight slightly too but VERY nice chocolate flavors and something else...
1st 3rd: I too experienced tight draw. The flavors were something that I couldn't not distinguish. I did not favor the first part. The ash would not hold at all neither.
2nd 3rd: This is where the chocolate flavors come into play too,maybe nutty too? Very nice smoke clean draw and the ash was starting to hold on better here too. I did experience burn issues. My wrapper was cracking a bit but not as bad as Poronico's wrapper.
Last 3rd: Flavors were more prominent and tasted again of something I could not tell. I'm very very new to the cigar world and this was a test IMO. The nicotine was starting to kick in nicely and was smooth all the way to the nub. I did have to relight it twice at the end.

Conclusion: I thought this cigar was nasty at first, but then cleaned up towards the middle and to the nub. As Poronico said I would take another one of these to smoke again. I smoked mine while I smoked some beef on the grill. So no rushing here, about one hour to an hour and a half of smoke on this cigar. I also had some plume on my wrapper which I like to see, again not seeing it much since I'm a new smoker. I'm wondering actually what this cigar is, well what it was haha. Very interesting smoke to say the least.

Thanks Greek for the run on this one, it is going to be one to log in the books.
Did you get some pictures?
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 05:30 PM 09-27-2009
No I did not snap any pictures, I guess next time I review I have to take some. I'm not used to taking pictures when others send me stuff and review cigars.
[Reply]
Poronico 05:53 PM 09-27-2009
Its all good, just helps explain your experience :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 06:12 PM 09-27-2009
I did haha. But I did like the pictures. Good job on that.
[Reply]
Poronico 06:29 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by MrOneEyedBoh:
I did haha. But I did like the pictures. Good job on that.
Thanks :-) I have been smoking cigars for a few years now, and I consider myself a minor league foodie so it all helps with pulling flavors out of a mix and enjoying them. When I am smoking on a day to day basis I don't try to dissect the experience... I just sit back and enjoy :-)
[Reply]
lou2row 06:56 PM 09-27-2009
Are spectators allowed to make guesses?
[Reply]
Poronico 07:30 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by coastietech:
I think I know what it is, just by looking at it!!! The review pretty much confirmed it! :-)
Its good to hear that :-) I like to think I dont have the pallet of a goat... but sometimes you never know :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 07:52 PM 09-27-2009
Originally Posted by lou2row:
Are spectators allowed to make guesses?
Hang on for one more review. Then I'll let the flood gates to open with guesses before I reveal the cigar:-)
[Reply]
bookman 08:37 PM 09-27-2009
Nice contest, Christos! Ima steal this idea, just like how you stealed my avatar idea.:-):-)
[Reply]
Poronico 03:05 PM 09-28-2009
The final contestant does know there was a blind review right...
[Reply]
GreekGodX 03:52 PM 09-28-2009
Originally Posted by Poronico:
The final contestant does know there was a blind review right...
He should... Tim has the link :-)
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 12:28 AM 09-30-2009
Poronico, maybe he has that bug going around too? Seems as if more and more people are coming down with this bug. Kinda scary. Hopefully it doesnt evolve into something bigger.

[Back to last contestant's review]
[Reply]
Poronico 12:42 AM 09-30-2009
Yea if it turns into another super bug it will be pretty horrible, especially with the H1N1 running around. People are going to be on lockdown if it comes to that.
[Reply]
itsme_timd 09:05 PM 10-01-2009
Here's my review of the blind stick that Christos sent in his contest winnings. The stick is a box-pressed torpedo with a dark brown wrapper. Slightly dry to the touch with a nice sheen to it. The pre-light aroma on this is heavy barnyard with more potency at the foot.

Unfortunately I had some issues with the wrapper on the cigar, a piece of the wrapper came off in the middle of the cigar and then when I cut it the cap began to unravel. The pre-light draw on this one was good, but I had to work to keep it together due to the wrapper problems.

1st Third: It was hard to get a proper draw on the cigar but I did manage to keep it going. With a little work the cigar burnt very well and the flavors were quite nice. I tasted coffee and leather on the 1st third and I also had a taste that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Through the first third the wrapper issues didn't cause much trouble, but it did take away from my focus on the cigar as I fought to keep it together.

2nd Third: Going into the 2nd third of the cigar I hit the hole in the wrapper. The ash flared out and was quite crumbly. I have to say that even with the issues the cigar pushed through the trouble spot and I only had to do some minor touch ups. Coffee and leather remained and so did the mystery flavor - possibly toasted nuts?

Final Third: This is where the troublesome cap started to give me issues and I had to hold the cigar together. I noticed cream in the last third and really enjoyed that mingling with the other flavors. I got this one close to the nub.

Conclusion: I enjoyed the flavors in this cigar quite a bit and imagine it has a lot of potential. Unfortunately, I was distracted from focusing on the cigar fully due to the issues I ran into. I'd definitely try this one again based on the flavors it produced.

Thanks again for the contest and the cigars!
[Reply]
Poronico 10:31 PM 10-01-2009
Time for the unveiling!
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 10:54 PM 10-01-2009
Good review. Interesting how we all had wrapper issues, but mine was not near as bad as neither of yours.

Interested to hear what it is.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:27 AM 10-02-2009
Anybody want to make some predictions?
[Reply]
Poronico 02:34 AM 10-02-2009
I am still leaning towards COA but not the MX2 anylonger. Maybe Brazilia
[Reply]
itsme_timd 08:27 AM 10-02-2009
Hmmmm... no real guess based on flavor profile. Based on the vitola I'd guess a Padron Anny or maybe Nica Libre 1990???
[Reply]
itsme_timd 10:07 PM 10-02-2009
:-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up