Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Zaya Rum
BengalMan 08:50 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
I think Zacapa is pretty close to the Guat. Zaya. I like Ron Centenario more than those anyway. Money and wife keep me from drinking $100 a week.
BLASPHEMOUS! :-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 10:29 PM 06-19-2009
Originally Posted by BengalMan:
BLASPHEMOUS! :-)
:-)
Taste is entirely subjective.
They are all very good.
[Reply]
BengalMan 11:10 AM 06-20-2009
Yeah yeah yeah
[Reply]
glassjapan 02:47 PM 06-20-2009
Not sure why it's blasphemous. At bare minimum there are as many lovers of Zacapa as there are for either version of Zaya. If you're lucky enough to find the fully wrapped bottles you'll change your mind.

That said, gimme some Mount Gay Extra Old, El Dorado 21yr, Cruzan Single Barrel, or even Oronoco to either of the Z's.
[Reply]
tobii3 03:16 PM 06-20-2009
I was able to pull some favors....

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get these out today...but they will be headed out VERY soon!!

[Reply]
Wanger 04:20 PM 06-20-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get these out today...but they will be headed out VERY soon!!

How much would it cost to hijack that shipment, tobii!?!?!?!?!?!?
[Reply]
DougBushBC 12:47 PM 06-22-2009
So after discussing this today, here is what I found:
[Reply]
CueTheMusic 01:05 PM 06-22-2009
Originally Posted by glassjapan:
Not sure why it's blasphemous. At bare minimum there are as many lovers of Zacapa as there are for either version of Zaya. If you're lucky enough to find the fully wrapped bottles you'll change your mind.

That said, gimme some Mount Gay Extra Old, El Dorado 21yr, Cruzan Single Barrel, or even Oronoco to either of the Z's.
I've compared Cruzan Single Barrel one on one with the Guatemalan Zaya, and while I do like the Cruzan, it doesn't compare in my opinion. I've never had the newer Zaya yet. I need to try some other decent rums, but the selection here isn't the greatest, and I'm cheap. :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 01:21 PM 06-22-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
:-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:29 PM 06-22-2009

I have some Zacapa, it is very good. I believe it and the Guatemalan Zaya were produced in the same location. Never was a fan of the Mount Gay Extra Old or Cruzan Single, I'll have to check out the other two though. None of which I've had thus car compares to Guatemalan Zaya. The Zacapa 23 comes somewhat close though
[Reply]
Old Sailor 06:31 PM 06-23-2009
Originally Posted by DougBushBC:
OH MY!!:-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 06:34 PM 06-25-2009

Tobi,

What can I say but thanks a ton for the very kind gesture! Opening up the FedEx box and seeing a massive Pelican case with two bottles of Guatemalan Zaya as pictured above!! Your a marked man Tobii, and I will be hitting you back and it will hurt!
[Reply]
Old Sailor 06:36 PM 06-25-2009
:-):-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
DougBushBC 06:51 PM 06-25-2009
So just opened one of those bottles... drinking it with my Oliva MB1 Torpedo (2001)
[Reply]
Mark C 07:47 PM 06-25-2009
I'm with you, Zacapa/Zaya are great, but they're too thick and sweet for me. I really enjoy the others you've mentioned (can't find Oronoco), but Ron del Barrilito is my absolute favorite, and not sold in my state... :-)

Originally Posted by CueTheMusic:
I've compared Cruzan Single Barrel one on one with the Guatemalan Zaya, and while I do like the Cruzan, it doesn't compare in my opinion.
That's an apples to oranges comparison. The Cruzan SB is more comparable to other Spanish Islands (Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, etc), while the Guatemalan rums are in a group by themselves, maybe closer to the English style rums (El Dorado) in body, but with a little more sweetness.

Originally Posted by BengalMan:
I have some Zacapa, it is very good. I believe it and the Guatemalan Zaya were produced in the same location. Never was a fan of the Mount Gay Extra Old or Cruzan Single, I'll have to check out the other two though. None of which I've had thus car compares to Guatemalan Zaya. The Zacapa 23 comes somewhat close though
You're right, Zacapa and Zaya (and Ron Botran, and Montecristo Rum) were originally produced by the same distillery in Guatemala. Zaya was an independent bottling, so they got cut when demand increased for the company's own rum (Zacapa and Botran).

If you like the sweetness of Zacapa/Zaya, Pyrat is the only other that really comes close. If you like the thicker, heavier body, you'll probably enjoy the El Dorado. The smoky flavors of that one make it particularly cigar friendly.
[Reply]
Wolfgang 08:02 PM 06-25-2009
Ive only had the Trinidad Zaya, now im going to have to look for the Guatemalan one since my bottle is almost empty :-)
[Reply]
BengalMan 08:09 PM 06-25-2009
Originally Posted by Mark C:
If you like the sweetness of Zacapa/Zaya, Pyrat is the only other that really comes close. If you like the thicker, heavier body, you'll probably enjoy the El Dorado. The smoky flavors of that one make it particularly cigar friendly.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of Pyrat. It has WAY too much orange flavor, it tastes like Gran Marnier too me, not like a rum. I'll look into the El Dorado though for sure.
[Reply]
Prefy 08:15 PM 06-25-2009
Our rum selection is so limited up here but im thinking of picking up some el Dorado in the near future.
[Reply]
tobii3 09:02 PM 06-25-2009
:-):-):-)

IT MADE IT!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!
[Reply]
BengalMan 09:41 PM 06-25-2009
:-):-):-)

IT MADE IT!!!!!

AWESOME!!!!!!
Indeed it did, thanks again brother. It's your ass though.....
[Reply]
Page 4 of 6
« First < 234 56 >
Up