Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Campina
lou2row 06:28 PM 10-04-2009
Cigar: Famous’ La Campina
Vitola/Wrapper/Binder: Natural
Drink / Food: Sailor Jerry and ginger ale
Outside Factors: Out in shop after work; watching NFL
Construction: Nice looking wrapper with few veins. Very solid throughout without being hard. Good bunching. Sweet smell to wrapper, rich earthy scent at foot.
Prelight: Cuts fine, draw a little tight.
First Third: Some white pepper on light. Cedar notes come in. Burn is solid as cedar takes the lead as pepper tails back alongside some spice.
Draw: A little tight, but doable
Burn: perfect
Ash/Smoke: Great light gray ash that holds an inch plus. Volumous smoke with good body.
Second Third: Some creaminess smooth’s the cedar’s rough edges. As I tap off an inch and a half of ash, a nice cone shows. Small split in wrapper just above band. Never gets worse.
Final third: Cedar and a nondescript spiciness share the spotlight. A little buzz kicks in. The creaminess from the second third continues. Cigar smoked relatively fast, but with no sign of a hot burn or bitterness.
Strength: medium Flavor: medium
Overall Impression: A very good solid cigar. Fans of cedar should not hesitate to pick this up. Though cedary cigars arenot my thing, I still really enjoyed this cigar. Construction was great for the price. On monster sale price, these are a deal.

Construction: 8 10
Prelight: 4 5
First Third: 13 15
Draw: 7 10
Burn: 10 10
Ash / Smoke: 10 10
Second Third: 8 10
Final Third: 7 10
Overall impression: 16 20
Total Score: 83 100
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:06 AM 10-05-2009
Nice review, thanks for sharing.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:00 AM 10-05-2009
Great review, that ash looks excellent. So this is a Famous Exclusive? What's the price point?

Thanks for sharing...
[Reply]
borndead1 07:29 AM 10-05-2009
Thanks for the review, Lou. I like this blend. A tip o' the cap to Famous and Nestor Plasencia.

MJM -- yes these are a Famous exclusive. Priced from $3-4 a stick, and they almost always have some kind of freebie with a box purchase.
[Reply]
Zanaspus 07:52 AM 10-05-2009
Spot on review IMO having smoked one this weekend. To my mind, the Famous private DR is a wayyy more complex smoke at a few cents more.
[Reply]
Up