Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Java by Drew Estate / Rocky Patel
Sauer Grapes 07:39 PM 10-02-2009
Hadn't had one for a long, long time.

The Review: :-) :-)

Seriously though, I bought a few for a friend when I was back home because I know he likes them and that way I'd have someone to smoke with. Had one left when it was time to come back here and he doesn't have a humidor, so I took it to smoke myself soon.

The best comparison I can make is it was like a $9 swisher sweet. Really, that's what it tasted like was a swisher sweet, but not as good. Good is a relative term obviously.

I finished far less of the Java than I did the cremosa I had this past year. I think I took 10 puffs, and the last 9 were forced.

Uh... I'll never make that mistake again. Drew estate couldn't have gotten any lower in my book, but Patel just dropped down to the lowest level of my ratings for being involved with that cigar.
[Reply]
Pilon 07:44 PM 10-02-2009
If I had to I would by the Isla Del Sol over the Javas
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:01 PM 10-02-2009
My girlfriend enjoys these, so I got her 10 of these sticks. I haven't had one in ages.
[Reply]
GoldnGT 08:55 PM 10-02-2009
Never had one. i was gifted one a few weeks ago though. you make me very scared to smoke it. Guess the smell is better than the taste eh?
[Reply]
massphatness 09:00 PM 10-02-2009
Grace (my gal) loves the Javas ... I actually enjoy the aroma, but the puff I took, not so much.

You seem to have a bit of problem: you're smoking Cremosas and Javas. You might want to try something a tiny bit more upscale. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 09:07 PM 10-02-2009
In my defense, the cremosa was a blind taste test. BTW, I refuse to capitalize the name cremosa after that experience.
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 11:58 PM 10-03-2009
I had one of these today while smoking some ribs on the grill. Hmm I didnt like it neither, the taste was not good.
[Reply]
OHRD 06:07 AM 10-05-2009
Originally Posted by Pilon:
If I had to I would by the Isla Del Sol over the Javas
I agree, the Isla del Sol is a great alternative to the Java; my dad's favorite smoke is the IDS (he loves flavored cigars)...you can get a box for around $50 I think.
[Reply]
Starscream 05:36 PM 10-06-2009
For flavored cigars, I don't think these are that bad. I smoke one (about once a year) from time to time just to have something different.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:45 PM 10-06-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
For flavored cigars, I don't think these are that bad. I smoke one (about once a year) from time to time just to have something different.
:-) I got a few of the wafes from coastietech. Other than the weird shape, they weren't bad. Not something I'd want to smoke every day, but not bad for a change of pace.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 08:56 PM 10-06-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
I used to think that too, but that night I couldn't stomach any of the chemically fake chocolate taste.
[Reply]
njstone 10:22 AM 10-08-2009
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Hadn't had one for a long, long time.

The Review: :-) :-)

Seriously though, I bought a few for a friend when I was back home because I know he likes them and that way I'd have someone to smoke with. Had one left when it was time to come back here and he doesn't have a humidor, so I took it to smoke myself soon.

The best comparison I can make is it was like a $9 swisher sweet. Really, that's what it tasted like was a swisher sweet, but not as good. Good is a relative term obviously.

I finished far less of the Java than I did the cremosa I had this past year. I think I took 10 puffs, and the last 9 were forced.

Uh... I'll never make that mistake again. Drew estate couldn't have gotten any lower in my book, but Patel just dropped down to the lowest level of my ratings for being involved with that cigar.

Try the Drew Estate "Naturals" line. They are not infused/flavored, though some have sweetened tips (easy enough to wash off, or just smoke it backwards). The Root (and to a degree the Dirt) have a great chocolatey/cocoa flavor to them, but are all natural tobacco. He uses some pipe tobacco and other unique things in these to give them such interesting flavors.
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 11:20 AM 10-08-2009
That's OK. I'll stick to my stinky, nasty non-sweetened tip cigars.
[Reply]
Up