Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Southern Draw help
RevSmoke 01:54 PM 04-28-2022
OK, Southern Draw is a line of smokes put out by AJ Fernandez. At this point, I have tried the Kudzu and Firethorn lines and have enjoyed them both - being box worthy in both cases. I especially enjoyed the Lancero in both lines.

My question is this. There are other lines with Lanceros - Cedrus & Jacobs Ladder & Rose of Sharon.
How do they square up with the other two I have tried?

Thanks for your assistance.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:07 PM 04-28-2022
Maybe I should also ask, "If you've had the lancero, compare it to the others in that particular line (if you have had any).

I am not normally a fan of Churchill sizes, enjoying robustos, lonsdales, coronas, petites, and then lanceros. Do not ask me why my tastes have gravitated that way, but they have.

Thanks for your help.

[Reply]
RevSmoke 10:17 AM 04-29-2022
So, nobody has any opinion about this?

Seriously!

[Reply]
shark 11:48 AM 04-29-2022
I've heard of these, just never tried any yet.
[Reply]
cmitch 12:15 PM 04-29-2022
I've only tried the box pressed Kudzu, Firethorn, Rose of Sharon, Jacob's Ladder. One other I can't remember. What I do remember is they were a bit underwhelming. I bet the lanceros would be better.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 03:49 PM 04-29-2022
There’s a reviewer named Phil Kohn who has his own site. He has reviewed quite a few of their cigars. I’ll warn you, his reviews get pretty crude. But, as long as you don’t quote them in your sermon…
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:39 PM 04-29-2022
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I’ll warn you, his reviews get pretty crude. But, as long as you don’t quote them in your sermon…
:-)

Thanks for the chuckle.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:41 PM 04-29-2022
Originally Posted by cmitch:
I've only tried the box pressed Kudzu, Firethorn, Rose of Sharon, Jacob's Ladder. One other I can't remember. What I do remember is they were a bit underwhelming. I bet the lanceros would be better.
Hmmm, underwhelming? That is interesting. I found the ones I had to be wonderfully tasty and complex...not on the upper end of the strong scale in either taste or lady nic.

Thanks for your viewpoint!

[Reply]
icehog3 07:48 AM 04-30-2022
I've had a couple (Rose of Sharon, Firethorn) but in larger formats. I thought they were good, and I bet Clayton is correct about the lanceros.
[Reply]
shark 03:17 PM 04-30-2022
I've heard good things about the entire line. Everyone's tastes vary so YMMV
[Reply]
RevSmoke 05:19 PM 04-30-2022
Originally Posted by shark:
I've heard good things about the entire line. Everyone's tastes vary so YMMV
This is so true!

I am thinking of picking up some cigar from some of the different lines. I have some Firethorn & Kudzu Lanceros. I was looking to get a couple 5ers of some of the other lines (or 20 count bundles or boxes), but my problem is that I am a tightwad - and I haven't found them at a price point at which I'd be willing to pull the trigger.

I guess I need to keep looking.

[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 08:23 AM 05-07-2022
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
OK, Southern Draw is a line of smokes put out by AJ Fernandez. At this point, I have tried the Kudzu and Firethorn lines and have enjoyed them both - being box worthy in both cases. I especially enjoyed the Lancero in both lines.

My question is this. There are other lines with Lanceros - Cedrus & Jacobs Ladder & Rose of Sharon.
How do they square up with the other two I have tried?

Thanks for your assistance.

Hey Rev! Hope all has been well with you! Just saw this post and wanted to give you a little feedback from my experience.

The Cedrus uses Sumatra Indonesian tobacco as I recall so those lean more to the dry spicy/peppery side. If you don't like Indonesian tobacco (I know some out there don't) then I would suggest avoiding the Cedrus.

Jacobs Ladder is a different story altogether. Earthy, zesty rich smoke, it's been a while since I've had one but I remember them being very good.

Jacobs Ladder Brimstone is very close to the original except way more savory. If you like the bbq/savory meat note that some people describe in cigars then I'd definitely suggest trying the Brimstone.

Hope that helps!!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:38 PM 05-08-2022
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday:
Hey Rev! Hope all has been well with you! Just saw this post and wanted to give you a little feedback from my experience.

The Cedrus uses Sumatra Indonesian tobacco as I recall so those lean more to the dry spicy/peppery side. If you don't like Indonesian tobacco (I know some out there don't) then I would suggest avoiding the Cedrus.

Jacobs Ladder is a different story altogether. Earthy, zesty rich smoke, it's been a while since I've had one but I remember them being very good.

Jacobs Ladder Brimstone is very close to the original except way more savory. If you like the bbq/savory meat note that some people describe in cigars then I'd definitely suggest trying the Brimstone.

Hope that helps!!
This is very helpful.
Thank you!

Peace of the Lord be with you!
[Reply]
borndead1 08:58 PM 05-08-2022
I tried a fiver of the Rose of Sharon lanceros. I think they were lanceros. They were 6.5" X 40. Lancero or lonsdale? :-)

They were good, but not great. Pretty typical for the blend and nothing that made me want to buy more.
[Reply]
Up