Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Larger RG Cigars
bruceolee 11:22 AM 02-15-2022
I'm sitting here smoking a My Father La Antiguedad Corona Gordo and it's a very good cigar but at a 60rg I'm just not a fan of these larger cigars. I certainly hate reviewing them because of the time investment you have to make. My perfect cigar is a Corona RG. I don't even mind robusto's and Toro's but anything larger is a chore to me. I don't think i've smoked anything in the 60RG area that has totally blown me away. I wonder why that is because what i'm smoking is a very good cigar. What about you guys? what's your perfect sized cigar? God bless you all!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 01:14 PM 02-15-2022
I'm not a big fan of anything over 52, although there are some 6x60 I like. I'm mainly a robusto and corona guy.
[Reply]
357 01:27 PM 02-15-2022
I agree with the corona RG but I do enjoy many different sizes. As far as the 60RG and such not standing out flavor wise, I read about one possible reason. I read that blenders tend to blend a line based on the corona RG and then add filler for larger RG, trying to keep the blend similar. That could have changed since corona RG are less and less common.
[Reply]
Weelok 01:30 PM 02-15-2022
My thoughts and experience is the larger the ring gauge, the more likely I am to have burn issues. While relighting is somewhat normal for me, larger ring gauge cigars can have unraveling issues as well as crazy burn issues that are beyond tunneling or canoeing.

Issues like the end looks like an exploding cigar and the re-lights are more like back fires in an attempt to contain the damage.

Other then that, they are fine.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 02:41 PM 02-15-2022
Larger ring size are only in my rotation when I have a lot of time to kill.
I always come back to a corona size. Ideally a 5.5 inch by 45 RG. I find that a Corona or Lancero show case the blenders art the best. At least their intentions.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:59 PM 02-15-2022
Smaller ring gauge cigar highlight the wrapper.
The larger the ring gauge, there is a higher ratio of filler-to-wrapper, and so that wrapper highlight is decreased.

They both have their strengths...but you better have jaw muscles to hold a larger ring gauge cigar if it is over 4 inches long.
[Reply]
TXRebel 07:25 AM 02-16-2022
Prefer a 50 rg Toro, but there are a few toros over 50 that I enjoy.
[Reply]
Steve 07:49 AM 02-16-2022
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:

They both have their strengths...but you better have jaw muscles to hold a larger ring gauge cigar if it is over 4 inches long.
Exactly my thoughts when I saw the first Asylum in the local shop.

[Reply]
icehog3 08:04 AM 02-16-2022
I prefer 48 and lower, but do smoke lots of stuff up to 52... BBFs, PSDs, etc

Only exception I can think of that I smoke on a regular basis is the RyJ Wide Churchill at 55RG.
[Reply]
kingcobradude 05:35 AM 02-17-2022
I smoke quite a bit of larger rug cigars. They are more prone to burn issues certainly. And certainly the ratio of binder/wrapper to filler changes with rg. But larger rg allows more leaves in the cigar, which the blender can utilize. I don't think large ring gauge is better or worse than smaller ones, it's all personal preference. They make a lot of large rg cigars, so there's a lot of people who smoke them.

I don't think the burn time changes as drastically with rg as some people think. I have had large rg cigars burn like solid rocket fuel, and small rg cigars burn slower than plate tectonics. Theres a lot more in play regarding burn rate. I also don't smoke a cigar unless I have a couple hours to dedicate anyway.
[Reply]
Up