Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>First real gun experience
CBI_2 07:33 AM 11-29-2008
Scott (TripleF) and I went to a nearby shooting club yesterday to shoot trap. I had only ever fired a gun one time in my life 30 years ago. Fired a 12 guage once as in one shot.

I was so stoked to be going and that Scott had asked me to go. When we arrived, we got with a member of the club we know and he walked us through the check in, proper safety, how to load the guns and operate the traps.

I had bought a box of ammo to go with Scott's 68yr. old 20 guage and old friend had given him. I then rented a 20 guage from the club for $4.oo, what a deal. $6.50 for non-members for 25 clay pigeons. What an inexpensive great time.

Not having any experience or knowledge in shooting, I was just hoping to be able to hit somewhere between 1 and 3 targets for the day. I figured if it was a stationary target I might do ok but knowing they are flying through the air I had no confidence in being able to hit any. So much to my surprise I hit several on the first round of 25 and was excited and hooked. I don't know exactly how many I hit on the 1st round wasn't keeping track at that point due to just trying to learn and actually hit anything. Scott did well too on that 1st round. Our friend stayed with us for that 1st round and gave us tips and a little instruction.

We took a break and had a smoke as we watched others shoot. Man was that impressive just watching some of them. Amazing. One old gentleman was actually shooting from his scooter. We got set up for round two and it was unbelievable. You shoot 5 rounds from each of 5 stations and I hit 3 of 5 to start. Talk about an adrenaline rush. I was so stoked. By the time we finished that round of 25 i was 20 for 25. I still can't get over it.

Can't wait until the next time which with any luck will be Saturday after Christmas. Now I just need to save up and get my own gun. I feel I have just fell down another slope. :-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 07:36 AM 11-29-2008
nice job.

I am a member of a club here and shoot trap and 5 stand all the time
[Reply]
CBI_2 07:40 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
nice job.

I am a member of a club here and shoot trap and 5 stand all the time
Cool. Hate to sound stupid but what is a 5 stand?
[Reply]
HK3- 07:55 AM 11-29-2008
Sounds like a great time! Trap shooting is so much fun. It only gets expensive when you shoot over water and have to buy that steel shot. :-)
You should see if they have the rabbits.. They are pigeons that they bounce across the ground! I'm jealous!
[Reply]
GTsetGO 07:59 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by CBI_2:
Cool. Hate to sound stupid but what is a 5 stand?
pulled some stuff off some sites:

http://www.deercreekhuntclub.com/5stand.html

For those not familiar with it, 5-Stand is a clay target activity that is sure to challenge any shotgunning enthusiast. 5-Stand consists of 5 different shooting stations from which each shooter gets to shoot 5 different target presentations. A full round consists of 25 targets per shooter.

Actually, there are 8 traps involved in our 5-Stand operation. Each trap (from #1 to #8) has a unique presentation from running rabbit to springing teal and also includes incoming, outgoing, quartering-away, quartering-in and other angled targets.

Up to 5 shooters participate in a round and shoot at each of the 5 stations or stands. On the first pass at each stand, the shooter gets a 2-Shot Single target from one of the numbered presentations. Next, each shooter gets what is known as a Report Pair of targets. This is where after the first shot is fired, the second target is released. On the third and final pass on each stand, the shooter receives a True Pair of targets with both targets thrown simultaneously. Each shooter then moves to the next stand. That's a total of 5-targets at each of the 5 stands for 25 total clays.

The beauty of this 5-Stand is that not only are there different presentations at each station, but the order of them can be altered each day. For that matter, the location of the traps themselves can be changed from time to time so that the presentations can vary.
[Reply]
CBI_2 08:30 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by HK3-:
Sounds like a great time! Trap shooting is so much fun. It only gets expensive when you shoot over water and have to buy that steel shot. :-)
You should see if they have the rabbits.. They are pigeons that they bounce across the ground! I'm jealous!
Man Hal, i don't think I'm ready for that. :-) Feel lucky as it is.

Originally Posted by GTsetGO:
pulled some stuff off some sites:

http://www.deercreekhuntclub.com/5stand.html

For those not familiar with it, 5-Stand is a clay target activity that is sure to challenge any shotgunning enthusiast. 5-Stand consists of 5 different shooting stations from which each shooter gets to shoot 5 different target presentations. A full round consists of 25 targets per shooter.

Actually, there are 8 traps involved in our 5-Stand operation. Each trap (from #1 to #8) has a unique presentation from running rabbit to springing teal and also includes incoming, outgoing, quartering-away, quartering-in and other angled targets.

Up to 5 shooters participate in a round and shoot at each of the 5 stations or stands. On the first pass at each stand, the shooter gets a 2-Shot Single target from one of the numbered presentations. Next, each shooter gets what is known as a Report Pair of targets. This is where after the first shot is fired, the second target is released. On the third and final pass on each stand, the shooter receives a True Pair of targets with both targets thrown simultaneously. Each shooter then moves to the next stand. That's a total of 5-targets at each of the 5 stands for 25 total clays.

The beauty of this 5-Stand is that not only are there different presentations at each station, but the order of them can be altered each day. For that matter, the location of the traps themselves can be changed from time to time so that the presentations can vary.
Sounds wild. Hope I can get good enough to try that sometime.
[Reply]
TXRebel 08:53 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by CBI_2:
I feel I have just fell down another slope. :-)
You have! :-)

You can never have too many guns. Same goes for ammunition.
[Reply]
M1903A1 09:04 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by TXRebel:

:-)
[Reply]
GTsetGO 09:05 AM 11-29-2008
Originally Posted by TXRebel:

amen. i am trying to figure out what my next buy will be
[Reply]
TripleF 09:51 AM 11-29-2008
It was a blast shooting with you Paul (now referred to as DEAD EYE)!! :-)

One of the best experiences of my life!! Can't wait for the next time!! :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 10:09 AM 11-29-2008
Congats! :-) Guns are fun for sure! :-)
[Reply]
awsmith4 10:24 AM 11-29-2008
Glad you enjoyed it, it may be a steep slope but its fun and rewarding!
[Reply]
Up