Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 64 of 270
« First < 1454626364 656674114164 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
CasaDooley 12:15 AM 10-03-2010
Originally Posted by CasaDooley:
Just prepared a 9 pound brisket that will be going on tonight for about 12 hours with an oak/hickory mix. I'll post pics when I do it.
11 pm and on the grill it goes.:-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:14 PM 10-03-2010
6 am
11am
Done!:-)
My first brisket, done Texas style. Came out pretty good. I've always been a tritip guy with beef, may have to rethink that now.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 11:06 AM 10-04-2010
Looks very tasty.
[Reply]
Ahbroody 11:13 AM 10-04-2010
Damn looked at this thread and decided I need to go to the market to find something to cook. Not even sure what, but going to load up the kids and head out.
[Reply]
OLS 07:13 AM 10-05-2010
I am done cooking briskets. I did everything right as far as my skillset allows and I am not happy with
the taste, the consistency, the fat content, any of it. I am glad I tried one, but you gotta like the
meat in the end, and there are other cuts I like a lot more. I much prefer a roast cooked down
on the stove with potatoes and greasy gravy. :-) Pits are for Pork, lol.
[Reply]
Steve 07:22 AM 10-05-2010
It takes a LOT of practice and patience to cook brisket. I am still working on it. I do prefer pork though!
[Reply]
OLS 08:15 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by steve:
It takes a LOT of practice and patience to cook brisket. I am still
working on it. I do prefer pork though!
Yeah, I had a feeling that there were many layers to the mastery,
I just don't like smoked beef for some reason. I should say 'prefer'.
I could see how in a semi-commercial enterprise, however, you would
have to put those feelings aside and learn if you wanted to get business.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 09:18 AM 10-05-2010
I didn't really learn how to cook brisket until I was forced to when I started competing. After eating lots of shoe leather I have brisket down to were I don't worry about it any more than I do a pork butt. I'm not saying I hit them spot on every time... but when I do I probably enjoy it more than anything I cook. For just plain eating though I love doing chuck rolls even more!!

Gotta agree with Brad on the fat part though. I don't like brisket with the fat cap still on. I started out following conventional wisdom and leaving about 1/4 inch of fat cap on. Now I trim nearly all of the fat cap off and cut all of the yellow fat out between the flat and point. I get a lot better bark/smoke ring that way. As long as I choose briskets with plenty of marbling (sometimes a chore if I can't find CAB briskets) I feel like they are just as moist as anyones. Not saying it is right... it's just how I like them.
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:04 AM 10-05-2010
As much as my guests and I enjoyed the brisket, I am still a pork guy and love to cook up some butt, loin and bb ribs!:-)
[Reply]
CasaDooley 11:09 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by OLS:
I am done cooking briskets. I did everything right as far as my skillset allows and I am not happy with
the taste, the consistency, the fat content, any of it. I am glad I tried one, but you gotta like the
meat in the end, and there are other cuts I like a lot more. I much prefer a roast cooked down
on the stove with potatoes and greasy gravy.
:-) Pits are for Pork, lol.
Damn Brad, now I gotta run out to the market for a roast! The wife and I love a good roast and you done planted a seed for dinner Bro!:-)
[Reply]
Ahbroody 11:24 AM 10-05-2010
Put a 4lb pork shoulder on 1 hr ago. Wooot first one. Wife is geeked about me cooking more so looke like a may be smoking 2x a week.
[Reply]
ucla695 11:27 AM 10-05-2010
That brisket looks good!
[Reply]
Mr B 11:28 AM 10-05-2010
Did a pork shoulder Saturday night (16hrs). Came out great. Turned 1/2 into BBQ pulled pork the other 1/2 no sauce for Carnitas. :-)

Sorry no pics. I always forget :-)
[Reply]
Matt-N-Ga 12:05 PM 10-05-2010
Holy Crap, all this BBQ is making me hungry. It all looks amazing, but I think I'm gonna have to try the Burnt Tips next on the Egg.:-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 04:59 PM 10-10-2010
My first smoked meatloaf, something I always wanted to try....made 2 2 1/2 lb loaves, dusted with dizzy pig red eye and glazed with a peach bbq glaze...looked lonely on the BDS so added a couple lbs of sweet italian sausage and some pepperoni (which is great on the smoker...renders a lot of the grease out ....snack for Eagles and Phillies tonite)...

[Reply]
Smokin Gator 05:34 PM 10-10-2010
Love me some meatloaf on the smoker... and your's looks wonderful!!! I'm gonna have to try the pepperoni.
[Reply]
Steve 06:16 PM 10-10-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Love me some meatloaf on the smoker... and your's looks wonderful!!! I'm gonna have to try the pepperoni.
x2
[Reply]
BigAsh 06:22 PM 10-10-2010
Leave it on a bit....once the grease is rendered the pepperoni gets "light and airy"......in a pepperoni kinda way!
[Reply]
ucla695 10:32 AM 10-11-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
Originally Posted by steve:
x2
x3!!
[Reply]
EricF 03:56 PM 10-12-2010
The Mrs wants me to smoke a turkey for thankgiving. I have never done one before so this should be interesting.:-)

Thankfully she is gonna cook another one in the oven just in case!!!
[Reply]
Page 64 of 270
« First < 1454626364 656674114164 > Last »
Up