Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Finally Getting A Cooler
shilala 05:58 PM 01-10-2014
I have two of those that I repurposed for overflow troop cigars.
They worked far better for holding humidity than the great big honkin marine igloo cooler I have, and I used very few beads.
We have 5 or 6 coolers, for some odd reason. Those cubes are the ones we use when we take a cooler anywhere. They've just been better all around for everything.
They're cheap, too. :-)
[Reply]
Catfish 06:10 PM 01-10-2014
Thanks all for the pointers. I really want the 150qt. that Amazon has for a great price but I'm suffering from proper storage area. My man-cave isn't properly climate controlled to hold a coolerdor which is necessitating the cooler going into a reach-in closet. Small footprint and tall is more preferable at this point than wide and low.

But I really do appreciate all the feedback. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 07:32 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by Catfish:
Thanks all for the pointers. I really want the 150qt. that Amazon has for a great price but I'm suffering from proper storage area. My man-cave isn't properly climate controlled to hold a coolerdor which is necessitating the cooler going into a reach-in closet. Small footprint and tall is more preferable at this point than wide and low.

But I really do appreciate all the feedback. :-)
Not sure what this has to do with anything. :-) The advantage of a cooler is it works irregardless of external conditions. :-)
[Reply]
Dude Here 07:55 PM 01-10-2014
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Not sure what this has to do with anything. :-) The advantage of a cooler is it works irregardless of external conditions. :-)
I don't know about that. I know that I wouldn't want to leave my cooler of smokes in the garage during the heat of a Texas Summer. Any type of container left in a non climate controlled space is going to warm up/cool down inside, even one of those high dollar Yeti coolers.
[Reply]
Catfish 10:07 PM 01-10-2014
The lanai that was closed in that i made my man cave into gets pretty warm during the summer. I'm able to leave the A/C off until it gets unbearable for me when I'm doin stuff in here. If I had to make sure this room stayed at around 70 all year, my power bill would be insane. It's already close to $450 a month from June - October.
[Reply]
Catfish 11:42 AM 02-13-2014
Alrighty. Got the cooler. Where do y'all find those little fans? I've looked on Amazon but all of the battery powered fans have a battery life of only 55 hours.

That doesn't seem right. Help! :-)

***EDIT*** Nevermind. I did some more reading and it was made apparent to me those Oust fans (FOUND EM!!) would just be waste of $.
[Reply]
CigarNut 11:49 AM 02-13-2014
Originally Posted by Catfish:
Alrighty. Got the cooler. Where do y'all find those little fans? I've looked on Amazon but all of the battery powered fans have a battery life of only 55 hours.

That doesn't seem right. Help! :-)

***EDIT*** Nevermind. I did some more reading and it was made apparent to me those Oust fans (FOUND EM!!) would just be waste of $.
I use an RV refrigerator fan (For Example). I get more like a month.

As an alternative you can run an electrical or USB cable through the drain plug and then seal the drain plug around the cable (putty or silicone sealant). I've done both.
[Reply]
OLS 11:56 AM 02-13-2014
haha, I misread this, I thought it said "finally getting a little cooler" and I was thinking, "Ha, for me its finally getting
a little WARMER". Got a gift from my friends in LA and TX today in the form of a southerly flow, and I woke up at
24 degrees and just had lunch at 52.
[Reply]
MrClean 03:07 PM 02-13-2014
David I use the 150qt marine cooler and I don't notice a huge difference in humidity levels between the top and bottom. I use two, 1lb bags of Heartfelt beads, one on the bottom shelf and one on the top. I also have a digital hygrometer at the top and bottom of the cooler and while they are close to the beads they are not right next to them. I keep them calibrated and they are always within a percentage point of each other.
I know there are a lot more experienced people who say fans make a difference, but that's just what I've seen so far. :-)
[Reply]
Catfish 04:25 PM 02-13-2014
So, um... yeah.

I'll be buying a 150.

By spacing out my stock so they aren't stacked so tightly they get limited air circulation, I filled this 70qt.

(((SIGH))) Wasted that money...
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up