Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 21 of 39
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)
T.G 09:09 PM 06-28-2011
Originally Posted by Whiskeytown:
So was it weather, a cigar that was just too moist, or even a combination of both?
Probably a bit of both. If you get your humidor down closer to 65RH and you'll likely have less burn problems, although when you're smoking in 90%-100% humidity air, things can easily go awry.
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 09:27 PM 06-28-2011
In a related question, when you guys pick a cigar to smoke how long before lighting up do you remove it from the humidor? Is it a good idea to do a "rest" stage between removal and smoking to allow any surface moisture to dissipate?
[Reply]
T.G 09:59 PM 06-28-2011
Opinions vary, but I've found that unless you are in an extreme climate, leaving it out of the humidor for a short period of time won't change anything, so it really doesn't mater. You can take it out and light up right away, as typically it would take a day or more to give off a significant amount of moisture.
[Reply]
Cornrow_Wallis 10:29 PM 06-28-2011
If your cigars are too wet for your tastes you can always dry box them for a day or two to bring the humidity down, might help with the burn problems.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:14 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
Probably a bit of both. If you get your humidor down closer to 65RH and you'll likely have less burn problems, although when you're smoking in 90%-100% humidity air, things can easily go awry.
:-) I Have The Same Problem In Mobile. When You Store @ 65RH & Smoke In 95-100% Humidity, Cigars Absorb The Moisture, Taste Harsh & Burn Awful!:-)
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 07:13 AM 06-29-2011
thanks guys.

i know it says to wait 24+ hours before making a final reading during a salt test but how long does it truely take to equalize inside the airtight bag?
[Reply]
T.G 07:41 AM 06-29-2011
thanks guys.

i know it says to wait 24+ hours before making a final reading during a salt test but how long does it truely take to equalize inside the airtight bag?
Depends on the volume of the bag and how dry the air was when you started, but you should be seeing something pretty close to the final reading after about 8 hours.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:46 AM 06-29-2011
I bought a new humidor and the analog hygrometer will not read above 45 after 5 days.
I have put it in my neighbors humidor that is stable at 69.
He has an analog and a digital meter reading 69-70.
If mine still only reads at 45 after two days in his humi should I be able to recalibrate it to the 69-70 that his units read?

I will get a digital unit but can't afford it this week.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:51 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
I bought a new humidor and the analog hygrometer will not read above 45 after 5 days.
If mine still only reads at 45 after two days in his humi should I be able to recalibrate it to the 69-70 that his units read?

Analog hygrometers generally are not able to be recalibrated, so until you get something else you'll just have to remember the difference that yours is off by--which sounds like 24-25.

Edit: If you've salt tested your analog hygrometer and it reads 45 even in the salt test (in other words, it reads 45 no matter what the ambient RH is), then you have a more serious problem of a hygrometer that is broken and not just inaccurate. In that case, get a digital hygrometer as soon as you can.
[Reply]
T.G 08:05 AM 06-29-2011

You can check on the back of the hygrometer for a recessed screw, usually a standard slot head, that you can turn to adjust the reading, although, in reality, a large percentage of the cheap analog hygrometers that come included with humidors are junk and not even worth worrying about. Not all are bad, there are some very accurate analog ones out there, just they seem to be far and few between - and typically confined to the more expensive humidors.

You can pick up a decent, reliable hygrometer for about $8 at wal-mart believe it or not. The AccuRite 00613.

They are a little on the large side though, so if space is at a premium, they might not work for you.

There is another hygrometer at wal-mart that is about a buck less, it's a small white one, looks like a kitchen timer - very hit and miss. They used to be decent, now, they seem to just be junk. Make sure you salt test whichever one you get.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:08 AM 06-29-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
You can check on the back of the hygrometer for a recessed screw, usually a standard slot head, that you can turn to adjust the reading, although, in reality, a large percentage of the cheap analog hygrometers that come included with humidors are junk and not even worth worrying about. Not all are bad, there are some very accurate analog ones out there, just they seem to be far and few between - and typically confined to the more expensive humidors.

You can pick up a decent, reliable hygrometer for about $8 at wal-mart believe it or not. The AccuRite 00613.

They are a little on the large side though, so if space is at a premium, they might not work for you.

There is another hygrometer at wal-mart that is about a buck less, it's a small white one, looks like a kitchen timer - very hit and miss. They used to be decent, now, they seem to just be junk. Make sure you salt test whichever one you get.
Yes, I have an adjuster screw on the back of my analog hygrometer.
I did not know I could get a digital at Walmart. Very good info thanks.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 08:15 AM 07-12-2011
can you write a date on cello with a permanent marker?
[Reply]
CigarNut 08:17 AM 07-12-2011
I would not recommend it -- cello is permeable and any ink could soak through to the wrapper.

You can buy blank cigar bands and use those. There are many kinds and even some that you can stick in a printer if you are so inclined...
[Reply]
MrOneEyedBoh 08:18 AM 07-12-2011
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
I would not recommend it -- cello is permeable and any ink could soak through to the wrapper.

You can buy blank cigar bands and use those. There are many kinds and even some that you can stick in a printer if you are so inclined...
There is also an excel file floating around here that will allow you to put the marca and type, date and size on a nice little band. Ive used it and its great.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 09:55 AM 07-12-2011
I have done it for years with no problems using a Sharpie. If you don't wan't to do that, I have also written the date on the cap of the cigar itself with a fine Sharpie with no ill effects.
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 01:39 PM 07-14-2011
The last few mornings i've woken up to my humidor sitting at roughly 66F/74RH and by the time I get home from work it's back to about 68F/69RH. anyone know what the big swing in RH is caused by? Is this natural in the summer?
[Reply]
jesseboston81 01:47 PM 07-14-2011
The last few mornings i've woken up to my humidor sitting at roughly 66F/74RH and by the time I get home from work it's back to about 68F/69RH. anyone know what the big swing in RH is caused by? Is this natural in the summer?
What is the seal on your humidor like? Does the ambient RH in the room where the humidor is kept rise at night and fall during the day?
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 02:35 PM 07-14-2011
Im just relieved to learn I am not the only one that checks my humidor that often.
[Reply]
Tbagley 05:02 PM 07-14-2011
I wish I could down to 66 degrees without the use of a refrigerator. You using beads or....?
[Reply]
Whiskeytown 07:19 PM 07-14-2011
The humidor is kept in my spare bedroom/office of my condo. It's the coolest room in the condo and we like to sleep cold so at night we set the AC down to 70. During the day while at work we set the AC to 76-77, but it being the coolest room it stays around 74.

The seal on my humidor is great, i thought, i get a nice *whoosh* each time i close it. I'm sitting next to it now and it's at a comfortably 70/70
[Reply]
Page 21 of 39
« First < 11192021 222331 > Last »
Up