Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Underwhelmed.....
BigAsh 10:12 AM 01-23-2010
Went out last nite to a local spot....brought a Tat Black Tubo to smoke....some burn issues, had to touch up 3 times....and the flavor was just so-so.....harsh to start....stored at 65 while resting in my humi for about a month.....drinking Johnny Black rocks which is a regular with a smoke so that didn't affect it....Maybe my expectations were too high....maybe just an "off" smoke from the box....I'll definately revisit this stick in the future but can't say I thoroughly enjoyed this one....also the burn issues were uncharacteristic for a Tat which I've always found to be well constructed....just my :-)
[Reply]
md4958 10:28 AM 01-23-2010
Im wondering if these burn issues people are experiencing with these tubos have anything to do with them being tubed?

As a cigar will age more slowly in a tube, I assume its also safe to say it will dry out more slowly also. Maybe these need more time to "dry out"??
[Reply]
troutbreath 10:40 AM 01-23-2010
That's a shame. I have (thank goodness) not been in a B&M while these tubos have been released, so I don't have an experience with them to compare. I agree, however, that Tat's are usually very well constructed. I rarely have burn issues and they taste great (which is why they are a favorite).
[Reply]
longknocker 10:40 AM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
Im wondering if these burn issues people are experiencing with these tubos have anything to do with them being tubed?

As a cigar will age more slowly in a tube, I assume its also safe to say it will dry out more slowly also. Maybe these need more time to "dry out"??
I Had The Same Tubo The Other Day & It Was Perfect, Moe! May Have Just Been A Bad Stick?:-)
[Reply]
JJG 10:44 AM 01-23-2010
I've always thought Tatuaje is hit or miss. I can't write them off completely though, because the ones I have liked were really excellent (Riqueza, Cojonu '09), and I make a point to keep these in the humi at all times. Overall as a brand though, a little undeserving of the hype they receive.

One thing I've never experienced with Tats is burn issues. I can say that despite any flavor shortcomings, every one I've smoked has been flawlessly constructed. sorry to hear the tubo gave you problems.
[Reply]
Addiction 10:46 AM 01-23-2010

Actually in a god tube the cigar shouldn't dry out much at all.
[Reply]
troutbreath 10:48 AM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by Addiction:

I think that is what he was saying. Perhaps they are staying too "wet" in the tubes. They look good in the tubes, I know that.
[Reply]
md4958 11:51 AM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by Addiction:
Originally Posted by troutbreath:
I think that is what he was saying. Perhaps they are staying too "wet" in the tubes. They look good in the tubes, I know that.
:-) What Mike said.

While they wont dry out, they will come to an equilibrium with their ambient RH. They might have just shipped wet, and they are still too wet to smoke properly.

Every Tat I have had has been flawlessly constructed, I dont think Pete would change his expectations.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 11:54 AM 01-23-2010
Sorry to hear it wasn't great brother. I have not cracked mine yet.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 12:27 PM 01-23-2010
I don't care for the Black's too much but I have found they taste and smoke better when left out of the tube and dryboxed for a week or so.
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:32 PM 01-23-2010
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan:
I don't care for the Black's too much but I have found they taste and smoke better when left out of the tube and dryboxed for a week or so.
Gonna try that for the next one.....can't hurt!
[Reply]
Patrick B 12:38 PM 01-23-2010
Same situation with me on my first black tubo about 2 weeks after receiving them. The one I had a week ago was almost flawless. I think some are just a tad wet.
[Reply]
okieRob 07:25 PM 01-23-2010
I have not been fortunate enough to try a black yet. I'll catch them in my local B&M one day...

I've had the same experience with a few cigars that there was a "buz" about. The first one I tried failed to live up to the hype (perhaps the hype was over done in my head). However, a few of them have become real favorites after giving them a second or third chance.
[Reply]
Ratters 10:14 PM 01-23-2010
I've only had one Tat Black before, didn't really care for it. Almost bought the tubo Thursday night, but went with the Red instead, I always enjoy those.
[Reply]
South Shield 11:04 PM 01-23-2010
I like the Black a lot, but it has no flavor characteristics of any Tat line. So I can see where people can have an issue with it.

That said I still prefer the Red over the Black
[Reply]
klipsch 07:05 AM 01-24-2010
People get let down when they have expectations going into a smoke they've never had before. I never liked the OR Blacks from the jars or bundles, but remained open minded about the Tubo's when they were released. I liked them immediately...because of the spiciness and ending of the cigar. All of mine have been removed from the tubes for storage, and Tatuaje made good on the two sticks that I had problems with. :-)
[Reply]
massphatness 08:05 AM 01-24-2010
Was talking to a cigar vendor at the Boston Wine Expo ystdy. I was surprised to learn the tubo is a wholly different blend than the original Black. Can anyone confirm this?
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
gnukfu 10:15 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by massphatness:
Was talking to a cigar vendor at the Boston Wine Expo ystdy. I was surprised to learn the tubo is a wholly different blend than the original Black. Can anyone confirm this?
Posted via Mobile Device
It seems different to me Vin. Would be interesting to smoke the original and tubo side by side. I also had "remaining lit" issues with the one Black I have smoked (figured they must be a little "wet" in the tube) and no issues with the one Red I have smoked.

On another subject, I prefer the Red Tubo over the Black...so far....in time I will try them again to see if my opinion has changed.
[Reply]
longknocker 10:26 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by klipsch:
People get let down when they have expectations going into a smoke they've never had before. I never liked the OR Blacks from the jars or bundles, but remained open minded about the Tubo's when they were released. I liked them immediately...because of the spiciness and ending of the cigar. All of mine have been removed from the tubes for storage, and Tatuaje made good on the two sticks that I had problems with. :-)
Glad To Hear The Good News, Walt! Love Me Some Tats!:-)
[Reply]
marge796 11:30 AM 01-24-2010

I take off the end cap of the tube to try to avoid these issues while the cigars age. This seems to work well for me. :-)

Chris.....
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up