Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Barrel Aged Cocktails
stearns 11:45 AM 07-05-2019
Anybody try barrel aging a cocktail at home? I just got a 2L barrel and it's currently soaking, gonna use it for an old fashioned this weekend. Post up your thoughts and experiences if you've dabbled in home barrel aging!
[Reply]
stearns 12:28 PM 07-08-2019
First batch in:

1.75L Elijah Craig
5oz 2:1 Demerara Syrup
2oz Angostura Bitters

I'll check back in 4 weeks :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 12:44 PM 07-08-2019
sounds good Ben....always wanted to try it....looking forward to your thoughts
[Reply]
migger35 11:54 PM 07-23-2019
Originally Posted by stearns:
First batch in:

1.75L Elijah Craig
5oz 2:1 Demerara Syrup
2oz Angostura Bitters

I'll check back in 4 weeks :-)
Sounds like a great mix. Looking forward to your update about the taste.
[Reply]
Edeustace 02:46 PM 08-08-2019
My wife was showing me this as she wanted me to do the same thing with Manhattans. I’m interested to know how it turns out?
[Reply]
stearns 08:42 AM 08-09-2019
First round is out of the barrel after 4 weeks, it's delicious, dangerous in that I could easily drink a few of them every night, especially since it only entails pouting over ice :-)

Second round is in. This is where I think things will start getting interesting. I filled it with the same proportions, but instead of bourbon I used High West Double Rye. I'm leaving that in for 8 weeks, then going to drain and refill with the same Elijah Craig mix I used in the first run. I'm hoping that the wood will retain a bunch of the rye goodness and pass that long to the bourbon on the final run, that one will probably need to rest for a while in there, but I'm really looking forward to playing around with it.

I haven't done a comparison between the barrel aged and non-ba old fashioned yet, I only kept about 4 ounces of the control off to the side but I'll do that at some point and report back. For now I'm just enjoying the results :-)

Ed - BA manhattan's are one of my favorite drinks, I almost went with them here but wanted to change it up since i've been swaying towards old fashioned lately. Hope you get a chance to try it out as well
[Reply]
icehog3 08:47 AM 08-09-2019
Keep the info coming, Ben, very cool!
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 09:16 PM 08-10-2019
Very cool indeed. Where did you get your barrel?
[Reply]
Up