Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 8 of 15
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>Mac's Apple Pie Shine
big a 09:36 AM 12-24-2011
Just finished up my first batch today. Has anyone used apple cider that has not been pasteurized? I got some from a local orchard like that. I brought it to a boil and let it sit out over night to cool. I have a weird paranoia of making people sick from something I make. I just want to make sure that bring it to a boil i will be good.
[Reply]
kelmac07 09:44 AM 12-24-2011
Originally Posted by big a:
Just finished up my first batch today. Has anyone used apple cider that has not been pasteurized? I got some from a local orchard like that. I brought it to a boil and let it sit out over night to cool. I have a weird paranoia of making people sick from something I make. I just want to make sure that bring it to a boil i will be good.
Boiling it will be fine. :-)
[Reply]
big a 11:05 AM 12-24-2011
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Boiling it will be fine. :-)
Thanks Mac! What kind of shelf life do u get out of this drink if stored in the frig?
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:09 AM 12-24-2011
Originally Posted by big a:
Thanks Mac! What kind of shelf life do u get out of this drink if stored in the frig?
I've had some keep as long as 4-5 months in the fridge...the problem is getting it to last that long. :-) :-)

Only issue with storing in the fridge, is the sentiment that settles at the bottom of the jar...but after shakikng vigorously...problem solved. :-)
[Reply]
proguy747 10:53 AM 05-06-2012
Anyone try soaking the sticks in the everclear yet?
[Reply]
spectrrr 11:50 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by proguy747:
Anyone try soaking the sticks in the everclear yet?
nope... I was in a rush on my last batch and didn't have time.. thanks for the reminder I think I'll start some soaking RIGHT NOW. Need to make another batch in a few weeks anyway...
[Reply]
kelmac07 12:41 PM 05-09-2012
Down to one jar...time for a new batch. :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 09:11 PM 05-09-2012
last batch I tried I started making with Cider, but discovered that the only cider available for me to buy in my area tasted like @$$, weak, watery, etc.

I found that this worked as a "passable" substitute - not on par with the batch I made in the fall (with fresh cider), but far superior to the batch made with the poor cider available. Same general 1:1 ratios as before, just use this instead of the cigar part.

[Reply]
TJarv 09:22 PM 05-09-2012
Im gonna need to try this
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:21 AM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by spectrrr:
just use this instead of the cigar part.

Are there cigars in the Apple Pie Shine? :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:14 AM 05-10-2012
Seems Francis has been drinking too much of the 'shine. :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 02:48 AM 05-11-2012
yeah, I discovered that about 1/2 a cup of watermelon blunts per 2 gallons, finely ground up in a blender or coffee grinder, really serves to expand the character of the shine :-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:16 AM 09-02-2012
Just finished up two batches for Doms herf next week...ended up with 17 quarts (as I always keep a quart for my own personal consumption). Now to make some new labels for the herf. :-) :-)

[Reply]
TJarv 10:54 AM 09-02-2012
That's a good time waiting to happen
[Reply]
maninblack 10:55 AM 09-02-2012
Wow that looks awesome Mac! Wanna do some trading? :-)
[Reply]
squishy 10:57 AM 09-02-2012
I can only hope its as good as the shine I got up in the backwoods of NC. Shine plus apple juice, half an apple and a stick of cinnamon got you pie shine up there. I wanna try some
[Reply]
big pete 11:41 PM 09-10-2012
I love apple pie. I'll have to make a batch for turkeyday dinner. Thanks for the recipe Mac!
[Reply]
KWevvy975 11:52 PM 09-10-2012
What's this almost talk? I would definitely drink it from anywhere on Eva Mendez's body. Had this drink once before but I don't think it was made the same way. I'm interested to see how much better this one comes out. There's obviously going to be variations but I'm looking for the same results....tasty and tipsy.
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:18 AM 09-11-2012
Current version of the recipe that I have been using is included below...

Mac's Applie Pie 'Shine
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider, no value stuff. It makes for a better product.)
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash. McCormicks are perfect)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and and vodka, then place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will sink to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!

As for shelf life, I've stored this stuff in the fridge for over a year, shook it up and still tastes delicious. :-) :-) :-)

Enjoy!! :-)
[Reply]
Savor the Stick 12:02 PM 09-11-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Current version of the recipe that I have been using is included below...

Mac's Applie Pie 'Shine
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 45 minutes

Ingredients:
1 gallon apple juice
1 gallon apple cider (make sure to get a legit cider, no value stuff. It makes for a better product.)
1.5 cups white sugar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1.5 tablespoons of Vanilla Extract
8 cinnamon sticks (again, get a legit brand. Spend the extra cash. McCormicks are perfect)
1.5 (750 milliliter) bottles 190 proof Everclear grain alcohol
8 shots of Pinnacle Whipped Cream Vodka

Directions:
In a large pot, combine apple juice, apple cider, sugar, vanilla extract and eight cinnamon sticks. Bring to a boil, then remove from heat and let cool completely (overnight preferred). When juice mixture is cool, Stir in the grain alcohol and and vodka, then place in jars.

Store in fridge. Before serving, shake the jar (cinnamon residue will sink to the bottom), pour in a cup of ice, and drink up!!

As for shelf life, I've stored this stuff in the fridge for over a year, shook it up and still tastes delicious. :-) :-) :-)

Enjoy!! :-)
This sounds really good!
Have you thought of getting rid of the vanilla extract and using real vanilla bean paste---I wouldn't cook it but mix it with a little of the Everclear to thin it into a liquid and then mix it in. I think 2 sticks would be good to start.
Should give another boost to the depth of flavor.

[Reply]
Page 8 of 15
« First < 678 910 > Last »
Up