Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Health and Fitness>Calorie counters
MACS 08:15 PM 01-29-2013
For any of you trying to figure out how many calories per day you are consuming (and burning), I offer you two FREE smart phone apps to do just that:

Loseit and myfitnesspal. They both are pretty cool.

I've lost about 28 lbs in the last year by exercising and watching my calorie intake.

It has a barcode scanner, so if you drink a glass of milk, scan the barcode and it adds the calories. If you eat half an avocado, search for avocado and enter 1/2, and it tells you how many calories and adds it.

Also... if you go to the gym and run, you enter that and it subtracts calories. Very easy to use.
[Reply]
Jefft72 08:56 PM 01-29-2013
I second the MyFitnessPal app. It worked equally well my wife's iphone4 and my android Atrix. I started off around 200 and am not at 170 and have been maintaining that for at least the past 6 months. The app really helped to reinforce proper quantities of food. Being that it was super easy to use made it something that I could willingly keep up with also.

Keep up the good work Shawn! It's a great problem to have to go out and buy new clothes cause the old ones fall off.
[Reply]
MACS 09:39 PM 01-29-2013
Yeah, Jeff, I was 218 when I retired from the Navy. Lost some weight, got down to 202, went back to 207 and said screw this... I did about 2-3 months of Nutrisystem and it worked great.

I started running and lifting weights again, and that helped speed up the process. I am 178 now and have maintaind it by watching what I eat and continuing to exercise.

I still enjoy pizza and beer (and ice cream) but I make sure I pay for it before, or after, in the gym.
[Reply]
emopunker2004 09:51 PM 01-29-2013
I just started using myfitnesspal again. Trying to knock my weight down below 200 again. Sitting at 240 right now. Let the fun begin!
[Reply]
tsolomon 05:29 AM 01-30-2013
Been using the Myfitnesspal app for a couple of weeks and have lost 5 pounds so far. I like the way I can use it at work from my pc and on my iPad at home. The calorie counter is easy to use and I like the way you can find most foods already online and then adjust the portion. Not bad for a free app. :-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 07:01 AM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by emopunker2004:
I just started using myfitnesspal again. Trying to knock my weight down below 200 again. Sitting at 240 right now. Let the fun begin!
Ditto.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 09:49 PM 01-30-2013
Originally Posted by MACS:
For any of you trying to figure out how many calories per day you are consuming (and burning), I offer you two FREE smart phone apps to do just that:

Loseit and myfitnesspal. They both are pretty cool.

In addition to the above mentioned apps, you may want to try an app(s) from the following web site:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/mobile-apps.asp

This is a direct link to their apps for iPhone, iPad, StrawBerry, and Android phones. I don't have a smartass phone myself, so I couldn't tell you if the app(s) are super duper or not. I am signed-up for their web site via the PC and its a great site. I don't believe you'll have to join (which is free) to download. So, give the above link a shot and see if you can download. If not, simply join for free and then perform your downloading of the appropriate app for your mobile device...:-)
[Reply]
Up