Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Sports>College Football
Mark C 02:01 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by Made in Dade:
Amen

If Miami beats GT and N.C. State, they play in the ACC title game. Miami is coming along faster than people thought. This team will compete for a National Title next year.
Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami :-)]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.
[Reply]
brigey57 02:21 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by theycallmedan'lboone:
I must be out of my mind.
I'm with you, I am out of my mind.:-)
[Reply]
brigey57 02:24 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by rizzle:
You have finally seen the light, young dan'l.
:-)
There is just one game left to the season that really counts!:-)
[Reply]
gorob23 02:53 PM 11-16-2008
I'm with the kid...Fight On:-)

Rob

for a minute I thought that was William Wallace :-)
[Reply]
Made in Dade 02:58 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by Mark C:
Nah. There're at least two problems with that idea [and it's not because I hate Miami :-)]:

1) Miami's defense is still terrible. During the Tech game they flashed up the stat that Miami's opponents scored 25 out of 26 times in the red zone, 21 of those were TDs. A National Title contender needs to do MUCH better than that, I think they're more than a year away.

2) Every team in the ACC is saying the same thing. UNC, VT, Miami, they're all young teams, they're all expecting to be better next year. The teams may be better, but conference games are going to ruin Championship dreams for everyone. I'd expect the ACC Champ to have at least 2 losses, that won't be good enough for a trip to the big game.

I think parity in the ACC is enough to kill any chance of a National Champ from the ACC for the next year or two.

I agree with most of what you just said. Remember Miami is still installing a new defense under Bill Young who is one of the best Defensive Cordinators in College Football. Look at what he did for Kansas when he was their DC. Also, they are starting three true freshman on their defense, with as many as six true freshman getting alot of playing time. Next year they will be even better.
Many teams in the ACC are very young, but no more than Miami, they are the youngest team in the country. Lastly, talent. Miami has sick talent. They have some of the best freshman and sophmores in the country. Next year they will be domiant.
[Reply]
silentjon 04:33 PM 11-16-2008

Miami's defense is terrible? Really? I don't think that is true. Miami's best players are all freshman and sophomores. Not only will Miami's record streak of a having a player drafted in the first-round end this year, but I do not think they will have a single player drafted.

[Reply]
Mark C 06:30 PM 11-16-2008
Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.
[Reply]
Rockestone 06:38 PM 11-16-2008
I will withhold all comments until I know who the coach of Clemson will be next year.

We sure did screw this year's wet dream up!!:-)
[Reply]
JE3146 07:18 PM 11-16-2008
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
From the "fan" who sat at his apartment while the Beavers upset the number one Trojans. :-)
Can't afford regular tickets.

And to get student tickets would have meant standing in line for about 6 hours to get tickets.

[Reply]
silentjon 03:54 AM 11-17-2008
Yup, 21 TDs out of 26 attempts is a pretty poor record. And didn't they give up 31 pts to the ACC's favorite whipping boy (Duke)?

But I'll be the first to admit Miami's defense is fast, much more so than VT's O-line as evindent in your picture. They've definitely got promise, but they gotta plug the holes in the red zone before they're a contender.
Agreed that Miami's red zone defense needs work. But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Virginia Tech #34, Scoring Defense: Miami #15, Virginia Tech #25.
[Reply]
Mark C 01:58 PM 11-17-2008
I never said we were any better :-)

BTW, your DC is 01038555749589484298, sorry for the delay!
[Reply]
rizzle 09:16 AM 11-18-2008
Originally Posted by brigey57:
There is just one game left to the season that really counts!:-)
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!
But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
[Reply]
silentjon 07:15 PM 11-19-2008
Any Yellow Jackets fans here?
[Reply]
Mark C 05:17 AM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by silentjon:
Any Yellow Jackets fans here?
I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team! :-)
[Reply]
silentjon 05:20 AM 11-20-2008
I am this weekend! But no more betting for me, seems to be bad luck for the team! :-)
Go Blue Devils!! :-)
[Reply]
longknocker 06:45 AM 11-20-2008
Originally Posted by rizzle:
I am happy to say that for us, not so much!
But we've definitely got a score to settle now don't we!!
:-):-) Roll, Tide!!!
[Reply]
Mark C 07:35 AM 11-21-2008
Originally Posted by silentjon:
But their defense is not terrible: Total Defense Ranking: Miami #8, Scoring Defense: Miami #15.
I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?
[Reply]
Mark C 07:41 AM 11-21-2008
Found it:
------------------------------------
ACC Football Tiebreaker Policy
The Atlantic Coast Conference Championship will be decided by a game between the Atlantic and Coastal Division Champions. The team in each division with the highest percentage of wins during all regular-season Conference competition shall be declared the division champion. If two or more teams are tied with the highest percentage of wins, they shall be declared division co-champions. Division standings will be calculated on a percentage basis, using only those Conference games which are a part of the regular rotating schedule. In the event of division co-champions, the following tie-breaker procedure will be used to determine that divisions’ representative to the championship game.

A. Two-Team Tie

Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional). Conference record and proceeding though the division. Multiple ties within the division broken from first to last.
Overall record versus all common non-divisional opponents.
Combined record versus all non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish (divisional and non-divisional) and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the end of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.

B. Three (or More) Team Tie
(Once tie has been reduced to two teams, the two-team tiebreaker format is used)

Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
Records of the tied teams within the division.
Head-to-head competition versus the team within the division with the best overall (divisional or conference) record, and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken first to last.
Overall record for non-divisional teams.
Combined record versus all common non-divisional teams.
Record versus common non-divisional with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional record) and proceeding through the other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within the division.
The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the conclusion of regular season games shall be the divisional representative in the ACC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the ACC Championship Game.
The representative shall be chosen by a draw.
[Reply]
silentjon 03:43 PM 11-21-2008
I think those numbers will be changing a bit after last night. I completely forgot it was a Thursday game, I'm ticked I missed it.

So now we could very well have a 4-way tie in the division. How do you decide that?
That was a brutal game. I knew from GT's first drive and the success they had passing, it was going to be a long night. With ACC this year, nothing surprises me.
[Reply]
Page 4 of 4
« First < 234
Up