Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109 Rosado-review & photography
jerseyjay 07:28 PM 03-08-2011
After three weeks in the humidor, it was time to light this cigar up. Although I enjoy corona / robusto vitolas and usually don’t chase long / wide cigars, there was enough internet buzz about Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109 to add to already quickly growing Tatuaje Exclusive Series collection. On the outside, the construction of the reddish / brownish cigar was flawless. Closer inspection revealed slightly toothy wrapper with minimal veins. From flavor perspective, 1st third presented small amount of spice, touch of coffee and smooth smoke. 2nd third is where this cigar shined. Both normal puffs and retrohale presented something that I didn’t recall in too many cigars. I went down the Flavor Chart and pinned it to the Floral note. The flavor was more pronounced on the retrohale so I continued to retrohale every other puff to take advantage of this fairly unique experience. In addition to floral note, previously identified spice increased its intensity to more of a peppery, well pronounced spice. I was able to pin-point your typical wood / cedar and one of my favorite flavors – chocolate. Along with chocolate / coffee there was an obvious sweetness. Last third was more of the same but few levels down. Toward the end, however, sweetness and spice completely disappeared and were replaced with salty finish. From construction / burn perspective, 1st third definitely lacked a good amount of smoke. It took 2-4 puffs to get anything out of the cigar. Flood gates have opened in the 2nd third and the cigar was performing like a ‘choo-choo’ train. Excellent tight ash falling in 1″ chunks.

Additional comments / photography --> cigarphoto.net

[Reply]
md4958 07:31 PM 03-08-2011
great pics!
[Reply]
hscmit 07:32 PM 03-08-2011
nice work
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:34 PM 03-08-2011
Originally Posted by md4958:
great pics!
Agreed, love the review but especially the pics!
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 08:04 PM 03-08-2011
Sounds like a good cigar. Can't wait to try mine.
[Reply]
EricF 08:06 PM 03-08-2011
Thanks for the review! Makes me want to light one of mine right now!
[Reply]
themoneycollector 08:45 PM 03-08-2011
Love the photography work, good job on the review
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 06:06 AM 03-09-2011
Nice review...I noticed that the bands look just like the 100th anniversary Barclay Rex.... a great cigar!!
[Reply]
swh127 06:28 AM 03-09-2011
Very nice pictures and review. thank you.
[Reply]
cobra03 08:13 AM 03-09-2011
Sweet pics!
[Reply]
jovenhut 08:37 AM 03-09-2011
The Shop owner told me over the phone he thought the Rosado's were a better smoke then the Reserva's. He said you can get the Reserva flavor in many other Tat cigars but the Rosado was a unique style that he never got from any other Tatuaje.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 09:08 AM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by jovenhut:
The Shop owner told me over the phone he thought the Rosado's were a better smoke then the Reserva's. He said you can get the Reserva flavor in many other Tat cigars but the Rosado was a unique style that he never got from any other Tatuaje.
I agree...I smoked the Rosado at the store and just smoked the Reserva at NERF...liked the rosado much better. :-)
[Reply]
bishjd123 11:44 AM 03-09-2011
I probably know the answer already, but are these still available? If so, where?
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 11:49 AM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by jerseyjay:
After three weeks in the humidor, it was time to light this cigar up. Although I enjoy corona / robusto vitolas and usually don’t chase long / wide cigars, there was enough internet buzz about Tatuaje Federal Cigar 90th Anniversary 109 to add to already quickly growing Tatuaje Exclusive Series collection. On the outside, the construction of the reddish / brownish cigar was flawless. Closer inspection revealed slightly toothy wrapper with minimal veins. From flavor perspective, 1st third presented small amount of spice, touch of coffee and smooth smoke. 2nd third is where this cigar shined. Both normal puffs and retrohale presented something that I didn’t recall in too many cigars. I went down the Flavor Chart and pinned it to the Floral note. The flavor was more pronounced on the retrohale so I continued to retrohale every other puff to take advantage of this fairly unique experience. In addition to floral note, previously identified spice increased its intensity to more of a peppery, well pronounced spice. I was able to pin-point your typical wood / cedar and one of my favorite flavors – chocolate. Along with chocolate / coffee there was an obvious sweetness. Last third was more of the same but few levels down. Toward the end, however, sweetness and spice completely disappeared and were replaced with salty finish. From construction / burn perspective, 1st third definitely lacked a good amount of smoke. It took 2-4 puffs to get anything out of the cigar. Flood gates have opened in the 2nd third and the cigar was performing like a ‘choo-choo’ train. Excellent tight ash falling in 1″ chunks.

Additional comments / photography --> cigarphoto.net

Good review & pic's... :-)
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 12:05 PM 03-09-2011
Great review, awesome pics, makes me wish I could get my hands on one of these!
[Reply]
Zeuceone 12:08 PM 03-09-2011
great work, sounds like a good stick.
[Reply]
homerjay19 01:15 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by bishjd123:
I probably know the answer already, but are these still available? If so, where?
I believe the rosados are still available, the shop is Federal Cigar in New Hampshire
[Reply]
jerseyjay 06:16 PM 03-09-2011
Thanks for your feedback, all. Greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by HollywoodQue:
Nice review...I noticed that the bands look just like the 100th anniversary Barclay Rex.... a great cigar!!
Bands look exactly the same. The only difference is the font. Rex's font is more 'curvy.'

Originally Posted by jovenhut:
Thanks for that piece of information. Some folks prefer Reservas, some Rosado. I have yet to try Reserva and judge for myself.

Originally Posted by bishjd123:
Call the number listed in my blog review.
[Reply]
ccman 10:59 AM 03-31-2011
I smoked my second 109 yesterday and it was great, especially the last half where it really opened up. Glad I put another box away for aging; they will only get better.
[Reply]
kickerb 11:40 AM 03-31-2011
really love that first picture!
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up