Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>HdM Reposado en Cedros
kaisersozei 12:54 PM 03-24-2011
Wrapper: Ecuadoran Sumatra
Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
Filler: Honduran, Nicaraguan, Dominican (Piloto Cubano)

The Reposado en Cedros cigars were unveiled at the 2010 IPCPR show. To date, I have not seen these at my B&Ms, but I was gifted a pair by my Secret Santa. This is a limited edition cigar for Hoyo de Monterrey that General Cigar Company says uses a new method of aging called “immersion,” where each rolled cigar is carefully aged directly in cedar shavings for 3 to 6 months. They are then wrapped in a cedar sleeve and packed in boxes surrounded by more cedar shavings.

I’ll start by saying that I’m already a fan of the HdM line (except for the Legends series,) so I was pre-disposed to liking this. My expectations were heightened by the fact that it had a Sumatra wrapper.

I smoked the marco vitola (6¼x54), a figurado. These are very “pretty” cigars—the cedar sleeve and new band art made for a nice presentation; the cocoa colored wrapper was smooth and thinly veined. The cap clipped neatly, and the prelight draw was distinctly cedar, like the inside of a humidor.
Construction was top notch. The draw was effortless, it put out a good deal of pleasant, aromatic smoke, and it held a great burn line throughout the 90 minutes that I smoked. Never needed a touch-up or relight.

There’s no need to break the flavor profile into sections, because the cigar was consistent from start to finish. A woody cedar dominated, as you might expect, but it was complemented by a sweet creaminess, baked bread, and carried a little spicy cinnamon on the long finish. The last inch turned peppery and minty, with a mouth coating heat that I get from some Pepin or AJ Fernandez sticks. Like I just bit into a York Peppermint Patty.

I usually appreciate flavor changes in my cigars, and although the Reposado didn’t change, I really enjoyed it. Medium body, mild/medium strength.

This is a very good cigar, and at the $6-7 price point is definitely worth giving a try.
[Reply]
SteveH 12:57 PM 03-24-2011
Great stuff - thanks !

Now...to find some...
[Reply]
dannysguitar 01:08 PM 03-24-2011
I smoked my first about 2 weeks ago and I was pretty impressed. Great flavors. Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:12 PM 03-24-2011
Great review, great photos!!! Pretty much right on my experience with this cigar!
[Reply]
CRIMPS 01:34 PM 03-24-2011
Great pics. I will be on the lookout for one of these.
[Reply]
SvilleKid 01:55 PM 03-24-2011
For those that haven't seen these......

Really nice presentation, inside and outside! (iPhone3 photos only fair, sorry)
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 02:01 PM 03-24-2011
Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:26 PM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
To date, I have not seen these at my B&Ms, but I was gifted a pair by my Secret Santa.
Originally Posted by SvilleKid:
For those that haven't seen these......

Really nice presentation, inside and outside! (iPhone3 photos only fair, sorry)
Is that box short 2 sticks? :-)

:-)
[Reply]
SvilleKid 02:30 PM 03-24-2011
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:
Is that box short 2 sticks? :-)

:-)
LOL!!! Sorry, your SS wasn't me! the smaller box is, in fact, one short. The open box is still 100%. Tried to hit you up for a well written review, but got the dreaded "must spread more rep before....." Drats. Hopefully someone else will bump you for me!
[Reply]
cobra03 02:42 PM 03-24-2011
Great review. Ive been wanting to try these, ill have to pick a couple up. That size looks nice to.
[Reply]
guitar4001 02:48 PM 03-24-2011
cedar shavings eh?
[Reply]
kelmac07 06:48 PM 03-24-2011
Nice review Gerard!! :-)
[Reply]
Up