Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Gran Habano Corojo #5
BigCat 07:57 AM 06-11-2009
I smoked one of these last night with a couple glasses of Macallan 12 yr. I have been wanting to try the 3 siglos line, so this winter I picked up a sample pack that also included the corojos. I was in the mood for something spicy last night, which I had heard these were. I debated between the gran habano and a tatuaje, which I knew would deliver, but decided to branch out and try something new.

I definitely tasted the spice on the pre-light draw, and the wrapper was a very nice reddish color. Once I got it lit, I tasted spice for the first few puffs, but it seemed to subside after that. The smoke was pretty much consistent the whole way through from that point. It went from medium-full all the way to full at about the half way point, but the flavors didn't really change. It had that standard corojo taste to it, but remained one-dimensional.

It wasn't a bad stick by any means - there is something to be said for a consistent flavor every now and then, like when you are at an event and can't focus completely on the smoke. I liken this cigar to a 5 vegas classic in that sense. It is a fine cigar when there is more going on than just smoking the cigar. Given that last night I was just sitting out talking with my wife, I would have liked something more. But I'll probably keep a few of these around for those distracted moments. At what I paid for them, I probably shouldn't expect anything more.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 08:08 AM 06-11-2009
Great review...thanks for the info!
[Reply]
darkninja67 09:00 AM 06-11-2009
Thanks for the review. I think this is a great cheap stick overall. I may actually smoke one today, thanks for the reminder.
[Reply]
Skywalker 11:27 AM 06-11-2009
You hit the nail on the head with your review!!!

Nice but nothing memorable about this cigar!!!
:-)
[Reply]
Jack Straw 11:34 AM 06-11-2009
Thanks for the review. I just picked up a GH sampler, think it has 2 of these.
[Reply]
BeerAdvocate 11:48 AM 06-11-2009
I had one of these last night also. I think they are a great stick for the price!
[Reply]
Volt 12:06 PM 06-11-2009
I like the #5, good solid corojo flavors. Don't know that I would place it in the Pepin/Tat arena as to the spice. I like them when I don't want an in the face smoke. The 3 Siglos is similiar, another fairly mild stick with good flavors.
[Reply]
BigCat 03:21 PM 06-11-2009
Originally Posted by Volt:
I like the #5, good solid corojo flavors. Don't know that I would place it in the Pepin/Tat arena as to the spice. I like them when I don't want an in the face smoke. The 3 Siglos is similiar, another fairly mild stick with good flavors.
Yea I definitely wasn't saying they are the same. Just that I wanted spice and I knew the tat would have it, but decided to roll the dice with the gran habano.
[Reply]
BigCat 03:22 PM 06-11-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
You hit the nail on the head with your review!!!

Nice but nothing memorable about this cigar!!!
:-)
Thanks! It's the first review I've written, so it's good to read that others agree. :-)
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 01:49 PM 06-12-2009
Should have just went with a Tatuaje...
[Reply]
Tio Gato 04:17 PM 06-12-2009
These cigars age very well, save a couple for a few years and try 'em again. I love 'em.:-)
[Reply]
shemp 06:49 PM 06-14-2009
i agree with your assesment. I like the corojo #5 toro because it is consistant all the way through. given the cheap bastage in me i like the flavor for the price break. I do agree that it is not a very complex smoke, but solid nonetheless. i give it about a 7 out of 10
[Reply]
Up