Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Good Eats>where do you buy your meat?
mosesbotbol 08:40 PM 06-11-2013
I like Costco beef but it really needs time to set up. It's too bloody; I like it after 2-3 days of paper towel "dry aging" for most thick cuts.
[Reply]
Mr.Weeee 09:07 PM 06-11-2013
I go to the local butcher shop
[Reply]
FUEL 09:42 PM 06-11-2013
Originally Posted by sevans105:
actually I'm an hour south of St James. I'm down in Fairmont near the Iowa border. And you are always welcome down here....planned party or not.

Sous vide is for tons of stuff. I use that process regularly for chicken breasts, pork chops, seafood, anything that benefits from precise temperature control. I don't use it all the time but I do use it a couple times a week. Do a bit of google searching and you'll find a ton of resources. being very specific with the temperature is critical though. you are cooking things just enough, but generally not sterilizing, so pay attention and make sure your temperatures arent too low for too long
Hey now, be careful what you post as one day you might just find a 6'3" 255lb white guy with a travel humi under one arm and his weiner dog under the other a tap tap tapping at your chamber door.
[Reply]
sevans105 10:02 PM 06-11-2013
James, if you head this way and don't stop, then I'll be upset. You and your weiner dog are welcome. Ilk feed you both and we'll light some things on fire.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:17 AM 06-12-2013
Anyone interested in finding local farmers that raise pastured, grass fed meats of all sorts and veggies, check out localharvest.org.
[Reply]
tupacboy 11:44 AM 06-12-2013
ok noob quieston... whats a PID?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:47 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
ok noob quieston... whats a PID?
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs.

In the case of a sous-vide system, it would regulate the temp. I built one for my electric smoker that does the same thing. Works great.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:55 AM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
In the case of a sous-vide system, it would regulate the temp. I built one for my electric smoker that does the same thing. Works great.

A buddy of mine spent 1K on a PID for sous-vide. It keeps a temp like no buddy's business. Serious stuff.
[Reply]
maninblack 12:00 PM 06-12-2013
Fareway Grocery Stores. Amazing selection and prices.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:28 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
A buddy of mine spent 1K on a PID for sous-vide. It keeps a temp like no buddy's business. Serious stuff.
For that much, it should. But I"m guessing he's using it for more than home cooking.
[Reply]
jdakine 01:11 PM 06-12-2013
Living in Hawaii is great, but when it comes to buying good beef, we are very limited. The local beef has gotten better over the years, but it does depend on what you are planning to cook.

Costco does carry a good selection of beef and now offers Prime in a few different cuts. When Whole Foods first opened on Maui a few years ago, they brought in Prime and we would pay through the nose for it.

At the end of the day, eat what you like, buy what you like and enjoy the good times.
[Reply]
The Poet 01:33 PM 06-12-2013
Buy meat? Who the hell can afford to buy meat!
[Reply]
tupacboy 05:18 PM 06-12-2013
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs.

nice... which electric smoker do you have?
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:25 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by tupacboy:
nice... which electric smoker do you have?
Bradley 4 rack stainless.
[Reply]
sevans105 05:27 PM 06-12-2013
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Dude, that's crazy. I mean, yeah you could spend that much for insane levels of precision, but why? I got mine off of e Bay for 39 with shipping. It keeps it plenty precise for my needs.
[Reply]
sevans105 05:31 PM 06-12-2013
Ooooooohhhh. You are probably talking about an immersion circulator. Yeah, those can get spendy. Mine is a total kludge system compared to that. Same result, just not nearly so pretty. Rat rod vs BMW. Both will get you down the road, just a bit difference in style. :-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:25 AM 06-13-2013
Originally Posted by sevans105:
Ooooooohhhh. You are probably talking about an immersion circulator.
Ya, that is what he has. Not to mention he has a vacuum tumbler to prep meat!
[Reply]
Felixcigar 01:21 PM 01-27-2014
Whole Foods or The Fresh Market: excellent meat, and it helps when you make friends with the butcher.
[Reply]
OLS 08:08 AM 01-30-2014
My boss is a big Costco guy, and TO MY MIND, it is more of a "I shop at Costco, you don't' kind of thing.
He swears by everything Costco, and I will admit, the place DOES what it sets out to, but I think he would
even tell me his Costco socks are warmer, that kind of thing. But for me, no matter where you buy your
meat, the smart man buys reduced whenever he can, and in bulk when he can't. I just cut up a whole ribeye
and had a steak last night and it was terrific. NOT because it was bought one way or the other, but because
I was hungry as hell and a little sick, and it made me feel good. All that said, NOT A FAN of Walmart meat.

When there was still a Piggly Wiggly in this town, that's where I bought my meat.
[Reply]
OLS 08:13 AM 01-30-2014
A proportional-integral-derivative controller (PID controller) is a generic control loop feedback mechanism (controller) widely used in industrial control systems. A PID controller calculates an "error" value as the difference between a measured process variable and a desired setpoint. The controller attempts to minimize the error by adjusting the process control inputs
NO, REALLY....what's a PID? :-)
[Reply]
Page 2 of 3
< 12 3 >
Up