Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 15 of 270
« First < 5131415 16172565115 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
tuxpuff 02:53 PM 03-11-2010
Dang Adam...that looks amazing! Well done sir!
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:31 PM 03-11-2010
Killer looking Pastrami Adam. I have only done that a few times but it is so freakin' good!!!
[Reply]
T.G 07:04 PM 03-16-2010
For anyone who hasn't noticed yet, Costco is running a $3 off coupon on twin packs of kingsford competition, which is the all wood charcoal pressed briquette (no clay binder as what is in the blue-bag kingsford) which brings them down to $13.79 for a twin pack out here. I picked up two twin packs so I can give it a whirl.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 07:06 PM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
For anyone who hasn't noticed yet, Costco is running a $3 off coupon on twin packs of kingsford competition, which is the all wood charcoal pressed briquette (no clay binder as what is in the blue-bag kingsford) which brings them down to $13.79 for a twin pack out here. I picked up two twin packs so I can give it a whirl.
It is good stuff!!! I still like the Stubbs and Rancher better... but not by much. For that price it is hard to beat:-)
[Reply]
T.G 08:29 PM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator:
It is good stuff!!! I still like the Stubbs and Rancher better... but not by much. For that price it is hard to beat:-)
Never used Stubbs - never even seen it out here come to think of it.

Funny, as I was moving some crap out of the way in the garage to store the four bags, I found a bag of Rancher that I guess I had forgotten about. I must have bought that bag three years ago when the local Home Depot cleared out Rancher at the end of the season for about $2/bag (maybe even less).

Rancher was always kind of a love/hate briquette for me. I never liked how it took Rancher F-O-R-E-V-E-R to set up, but I always liked the looooong burn times and the flavor. If this K-comp can meet in the middle, I'll be happy.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:34 PM 03-16-2010
That's a good price on the Kingsford. A few dollars off. Nothing to go crazy for, but I am starting to get low on it.

Should I just continue on the Kingsford or try something new?

How do you compare it to Royal Oak? All I have used on the WSM is Kingsford Comp. On my Smokin' Pro, I was using logs more than charcoal.
[Reply]
T.G 09:13 PM 03-16-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
That's a good price on the Kingsford. A few dollars off. Nothing to go crazy for, but I am starting to get low on it.

Should I just continue on the Kingsford or try something new?

How do you compare it to Royal Oak? All I have used on the WSM is Kingsford Comp. On my Smokin' Pro, I was using logs more than charcoal.
Exactly, I'm down to about 30lbs (1-1/2 bags) of blue bag k-briqs, so this was a well timed sale for me. Best deal I think I ever found on k-briqs was the beginning of this year or the end of last year, ACE hardware ran a 50% one item only, $10 max discount coupon. I picked up a twin-pack of 21.6lb blue bags for about $9.25 the door. If there had been more ACE hardware stores in a reasonable driving distance and I could be guaranteed the larger twin bag packs (since even at 1/2 price, the per lb single bag price at ACE is about the same as Costco) or the larger (40lb? 50lb?) sacks of Lazzari, I'd have hit every Ace hardware in the area.

I'll have to leave Royal Oak comparison to Gator, since I haven't used the K-comp briqs yet, and can't honestly remember if I've used Royal Oak lump or not. If I have, it's been long enough that I've forgotten so I would question of the comparason would even be accurate with whatever is going in the bags today. I do know that Royal Oak Lump seems to have three different countries of origin. Two in South America, the third is the US. IIRC, one of the S.A. producers just tosses crap in the bag, the other is good - I think Brazil is the good one, abet, it's mystery wood. The US one is supposed to be quite good too.
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 04:21 AM 03-17-2010
It has been years since I have used Royal Oak briqs in I don't know how long. I really can't remember whether they are good are bad. In general though, I have gone away from using any kind of briq that isn't "all natural" which I am sure the RO briq isn't. The all natural briqs that use some kind of vegetable starch for a binder smell better when burning, have longer burn times, leave less ash, and I like the product cooked over them better. Of course that is just my opinion!!

As for RO lump... it is good overall and great for the price. I have been using it exclusively in my BGEs the last couple of years and am very happy with it. It has nice size pieces, not much dust, lights and burns well, and I can always get it at Walmart for under $6 a bag.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:06 AM 03-17-2010
In general though, I have gone away from using any kind of briq that isn't "all natural" which I am sure the RO briq isn't.

As for RO lump... it is good overall and great for the price.
Same here.

Kingsford Comp. is really neutral tasting, but has a steady heat and easily to light. There's a huge Brazilian population around me and some of the local stores have lump for Brazil that is a bear to light, but has a decent flavor and held heat pretty good too. I have only used it for grilling as it seemed a little expensive.

The Maple lump fro Quebec is outstanding! No additional wood is needed. Next time I see it, I'll post the brand and distributor so you guys can give it a go.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:11 AM 03-17-2010
The Maple lump fro Quebec is outstanding! No additional wood is needed. Next time I see it, I'll post the brand and distributor so you guys can give it a go.
It's called Maple Leaf. It is no longer sold in the USA. Here is a review of it: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag3.htm

There is a new brand called Real Montana Lump Charcoal. He has maple and people who have used both, says his might be even a little better. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag86.htm

I have talked with the guy and he is pretty easy to deal with. It's just freakin expensive charcoal. He does have other hardwoods and fruitwoods. He says he is always experimenting and might even consider doing custom orders.
[Reply]
tuxpuff 07:40 AM 03-17-2010
Some brisket and ribs on the smoker during my vacation days...

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 08:56 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
It's called Maple Leaf. It is no longer sold in the USA. Here is a review of it: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag3.htm
That's not the same brand I am talking about which is easy to find in my area. Same kind of charcoal though.
[Reply]
wayner123 09:17 AM 03-17-2010
That's not the same brand I am talking about which is easy to find in my area. Same kind of charcoal though.
I would love to know of a more readily available Maple Charcoal. Maybe these guys?

http://www.basquescharcoal.com/bbq_products.htm
[Reply]
T.G 09:20 AM 03-17-2010
As for RO lump... it is good overall and great for the price. I have been using it exclusively in my BGEs the last couple of years and am very happy with it. It has nice size pieces, not much dust, lights and burns well, and I can always get it at Walmart for under $6 a bag.

$6.50-something for 10lbs of US made RO lump at wally-world out here.
(was just there yesterday since they are down the street from costco)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 09:46 AM 03-17-2010
Originally Posted by wayner123:
I would love to know of a more readily available Maple Charcoal. Maybe these guys?

http://www.basquescharcoal.com/bbq_products.htm
Cool, there's a place near my house that sells the brand you posted. The bag I am elluding to is different, but that one sounds great. Sugar Maple, yummy! The smell of Montreal BBQ! :-)
[Reply]
J0eybb 08:50 PM 03-18-2010
Pork Roll wrapped in bacon stuffed with sausage, spinach, queso fresco, and spices.

Au Gratin Potatoes

[Reply]
T.G 10:30 PM 03-18-2010
Pork, wrapped in cured pork, stuffed with seasoned ground pork, oh, and spinach too. :-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 04:29 AM 03-19-2010
Originally Posted by T.G:
Pork, wrapped in cured pork, stuffed with seasoned ground pork, oh, and spinach too. :-):-):-):-)
Need a Cray Super Computer to figure out the calories on that. Looks indulgent! :-)
[Reply]
tuxpuff 05:42 AM 03-19-2010
Pork heaven right there :-)
[Reply]
Smokin Gator 08:18 AM 03-19-2010
That looks awesome Joe!!!

I do one once in a while that is stuffed with purple onion, basil, sun dried tomatoes, and prosciutto.
[Reply]
Page 15 of 270
« First < 5131415 16172565115 > Last »
Up