Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>What's your wood choice, smokers and grillers?
Porch Dweller 11:14 AM 05-11-2015
I'm pretty simple when it comes to wood when smoking and grilling. I use apple for chicken pretty much exclusively. This is because I feel that chicken can very easily get over-smoked and with the mild flavor of applewood this rarely becomes a problem.

I use hickory for pretty much all pork except baby backs, which get half hickory/half apple at my wife's request.

When I do a beef roast I usually use a combination of hickory and pecan. If I have some mesquite laying around I'll usually add a small chunk of it.

What are your preferences?
[Reply]
T.G 01:38 PM 05-11-2015
MDF. Gives it that lil' sumpthin' sumpthin'.
[Reply]
tsolomon 01:38 PM 05-11-2015
Hickory, apple and pecan are the wood pellets that I use the most. Pork and beef get mainly hickory and sometimes pecan. I prefer apple for fish, turkey and chicken. I use pecan for duck and as a mixer with hickory for pork, beef and turkey.
[Reply]
kydsid 01:56 PM 05-11-2015
Down these parts post oak and mesquite are king. I prefer pecan and maple as my go too.

Though after a recent smoke I'd use pear, if I could get it consistently.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 03:24 PM 05-11-2015
Lately, I prefer pecan, with maybe a little oak mixed in.
[Reply]
SnuffCan 04:08 PM 05-11-2015
Hickory and pecan for butts, Apple and hickory for ribs, alder for fish (except salmon, I use cedar planks usually)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:40 PM 05-11-2015
Gander Mtn by me has 20lb bags of apple pellets for $15. CampChef brand. Picked one up.
[Reply]
Up