Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Hot pepper idea -- advice needed
GWN 03:13 PM 10-06-2013
So I like to grow hot peppers and this time of year, I harvest, dry them and grind them up in an old coffee grinder for use over the winter.
I have a bunch coming ripe now, including some ghosts. I normally split them (so they don't rot) string them up and hang them outside to dry. This week, however, it's all rain.
Hung some in the kitchen today, but they started overpowering everyone, so that's not gonna fly. Right now, they're down in the cellar, next to the furnace.
Should probably invest in a dehydrator but, in the meantime, what do you think of this: putting them in a paper bag and throwing them in the clothes dryer on low heat?
I've tried the oven, but the fumes in the house are like pepper spray. Also tried gas grill, but it's still too hot and they cook.
At least with the dryer, it vents to the outside. Thoughts?
[Reply]
bobarian 03:55 PM 10-06-2013
Peppers freeze very well. Also pickled peppers are pretty easy to do.
[Reply]
T.G 04:04 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by GWN:
Should probably invest in a dehydrator but, in the meantime, what do you think of this: putting them in a paper bag and throwing them in the clothes dryer on low heat?
Next time you dry your undergarments is going to probably look something like this...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7m...iquid-heat_fun

If you don't want to be forcing air across them because it will create a pepper spray effect, something like putting them in a box and hanging a 45W incandescent light bulb in a clip-light reflector housing over the top should work. Just keep an eye on it, they can go from dry to burnt pretty quickly.
[Reply]
Mattso3000 06:00 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
+1
I threw a pound of thai chilis into the freezer and it dehydrated them fairly well.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 06:05 PM 10-06-2013
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This. I've kept garden-grown jalapenos in the freezer for over six months with no ill effects to them.
[Reply]
hudd 08:30 AM 10-07-2013
I've been air drying mine for several years in a row. I just destem them and spread them out on cookie sheets and cover them with cheesecloth to keep the dust off. I keep them in the basement and check them from time to time and remove any that may go bad, (not many). Takes a while to dry them this way but once they are ready, into a coffee grinder they go.
[Reply]
Up