Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Good Eats>Indianapolis Restaurants?
4WheelVFR 11:10 PM 07-24-2013
Any of the Indy Botls have any favorite restaurants or recommendations for the Indy area? My Wife and I are going to the Moto GP race in Indy next month and will be looking for a nice place to dine. Not too worried about cost, just want a fantastic dinner. We've been to Eddie Merlot's a few times but may want something different this time. Nothing wrong with Eddie Merlot's as they are great, but just want some variety. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
[Reply]
forgop 05:52 AM 07-25-2013
Indianapolis has a few of the regular chains like Shula's, Ruth's Chris, Mortons, and Sullivan's to name a few. I try to avoid chains when I'm going somewhere for more of a unique experience. The place known for steaks in Indy is St. Elmo's downtown, although I have been less than impressed by the hype my last visit or two there. Is it a great place for steaks? You bet. Is it enough to justify the outstanding status they threceive? I'm not so sure. If you decide to go there, you must get the shrimp cocktail though and their wine list will be far the best in the city. It's the place a lot of celebrities will go when they're in town for the races or sports events for sure. http://www.stelmos.com/menu/

There is one chain that I haven't made it to just yet which is Fogo de Chao. Other top Indy considerations are Peterson's, Flemings, and The Capital Grille just to throw in some others worth consideration.

Another place I'd recommend is called Bynum's. It's a little more off the beaten path on the near south side and sure, it has a cheesy interior decor in need of some remodeling even 20 years ago (not to mention 3 big cows in the front of their building), but the steaks are excellent. Their beef is prime aged 21 days and runs around $30/per while St. Elmo's will run about $40-45 on average. http://www.bynumssteakhouse.com/Menu.html

Another staple of our state that you must try if you've never sampled one is the breaded pork tenderloin. It's something you'll only really find in Indiana, Illinois, and Iowa and it's quite impossible to find anywhere else. No idea where you're staying, but the best I've had in Indy is from Bugsy's Sports Grill on the southeast side. Other top locations are Billy Oneal's (west side), Bourbon Street Distillery (downtown), Sahms (NE/Fishers), Plump's Last Shot(Broad Ripple), and JT's Grill(54th/Keystone).

One last suggestion for a must-have in the Indy area if you enjoy sushi. Sushi Club on the west side has an all you can eat, made to order menu that has awesome sushi. Request the weekend menu, no matter what time/day of the week and it's $21.99/person. It's an old Pizza Hut that looks less than impressive, but their food more than makes up for it. I like to keep from eating until 3-4pm and stuff myself with 5-6 rolls and go home in a sushi coma.

If you have any other Indy questions/suggestions, let me know.
[Reply]
Zane 07:09 AM 07-25-2013
Duane nailed it.
[Reply]
dijit 07:47 AM 07-25-2013
I need to add one that is a little off the beaten path but has excellent all natural beef and organic fair. It is the Loft restaurant at Traders point creamery. Small venue only about 20 tables plus the balcony a moderate wine list too.

http://www.tpforganics.com/the-loft-restaurant/
[Reply]
dijit 07:52 AM 07-25-2013
Originally Posted by 4WheelVFR:
Any of the Indy Botls have any favorite restaurants or recommendations for the Indy area? My Wife and I are going to the Moto GP race in Indy next month and will be looking for a nice place to dine. Not too worried about cost, just want a fantastic dinner. We've been to Eddie Merlot's a few times but may want something different this time. Nothing wrong with Eddie Merlot's as they are great, but just want some variety. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
If you are staying on the north side you may want to try The Library Steak House in Carmel and Buds Burgers in Carmel both are on the small side the library has en appetizer of elk medallions that melt in your mouth and Buds has the now famous ugly burger.

When you get here drop me a line and maybe we can get together and enjoy a smoke and a drink.
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 12:25 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by dijit:

When you get here drop me a line and maybe we can get together and enjoy a smoke and a drink.
My Wife probably wouldn't be too keen on a mini herf lol, but I will be back in October to see Avenged Sevenfold. I'll be bringing another cigar smoker, maybe two with me and I may have to dust off the old herfedor. I take it that some places in Indiana still allow smoking indoors in public? Illinois kinda squashed that for us a while back.
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 12:27 AM 07-26-2013
Thanks for all the recommendations guys. I will miss stopping by Eddie Merlot's for dinner, but it would be a sin not to try some of the other fine places in Indianapolis. There's also a place in Noblesville that serves up some awesome waffles.....maybe we can stay overnight.
[Reply]
dijit 04:42 AM 07-26-2013
My Wife probably wouldn't be too keen on a mini herf lol, but I will be back in October to see Avenged Sevenfold. I'll be bringing another cigar smoker, maybe two with me and I may have to dust off the old herfedor. I take it that some places in Indiana still allow smoking indoors in public? Illinois kinda squashed that for us a while back.
That will be an awesome concert. Yes there are a few places that still allow indoor smoking. Not many though There is a new one that is supposed to open around the end of Aug called the blend. Its on the north side of Indy and the word is it will be a little pricey but very good.
[Reply]
4WheelVFR 05:02 AM 07-26-2013
Maybe that weekend we can coordinate some herf action. I would be down for sure.
[Reply]
forgop 06:51 AM 07-26-2013
I take it that some places in Indiana still allow smoking indoors in public?
That's pretty much a negative. With the exception of finding a B&M or a cigar bar, you're pretty well hosed unless you are a member of a private club somewhere that chooses to allow it. There are some municipalties within the city such as Speedway, Southport, Beech Grove, and Lawrence that I believe can allow smoking though, but doesn't necessarily mean they will.
[Reply]
Zane 07:02 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by forgop:
That's pretty much a negative. With the exception of finding a B&M or a cigar bar, you're pretty well hosed unless you are a member of a private club somewhere that chooses to allow it. There are some municipalties within the city such as Speedway, Southport, Beech Grove, and Lawrence that I believe can allow smoking though, but doesn't necessarily mean they will.
If the concert is on the north side there are a few places to smoke. Eddys Sports Bar in Noblesville, Carmacks Cigar Shop in Noblesville, Fox and the Hound in Carmel. Then there is Cigar Haven in Fishers.

Just checked.. Its at Klipsch Music Center which is .5 miles from my house. So there are plenty of places nearby to smoke.
[Reply]
Up