Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Good Eats>My Smoker Assembly
GWN 07:08 AM 06-30-2013
Originally Posted by DMK:
Do you have a Costco membership or someone who will let you tag along?
They carry the Nature's own hardwood charcoal, 8 kg bag for $12.69.
Its good stuff.
Agreed it's great stuff, though didn't see it when I was at Costco last weekend.
The Lowe's deal is $7.50 for 8kg. Think it was a 3-day sale so may still be on today.
[Reply]
GWN 07:10 AM 06-30-2013
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
Thanks for the heads up! I headed over and grabbed a few bags!

The first run on the smoker went 'meh...'

Food tasted good, chicken was a tad dry. Had temperature issues and couldn't tell how hot the grill was since I had no real thermometer so I finished the chicken on the gas grill after about 5 hours on the smoker. I did figure out how to get the temp cranked after the fact though by playing with the vents after the chicken came off. Pictures when I can get to it!
You're a brave man doing poultry as your first smoke. You'll find pork shoulder or baby backs much easier. I like deboning a chicken and then stuffing it and rolling it as I find it holds the moisture better, thanks to all the good stuff inside.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 11:13 AM 07-02-2013
Really? From what I read poultry was the most forgiving.
[Reply]
tupacboy 12:07 PM 07-02-2013
i would lean to pork being the most forgiving.... lean meats aren't that forgiving.. :-)
[Reply]
OLS 12:50 PM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by RHNewfie:
Really? From what I read poultry was the most forgiving.
Oh, well, sure, in CANADA.

See if we were in France, then I would have to make YOUR bunk.
But since we're in Canada, you have to make mine.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 01:51 PM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by OLS:

I see you are making just as much sense as always Brad :-)
[Reply]
Jefft72 01:54 PM 07-02-2013
Originally Posted by OLS:

Movie reference me thinks. Bill Murray. Army.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 03:12 PM 07-02-2013
Lol, missed that.
[Reply]
Jefft72 03:20 PM 07-02-2013
Thanks for the pics detailing the work on your smoker. I am putting plans together to do some of the same mods to my smoker.
[Reply]
RHNewfie 03:48 PM 07-02-2013
I still have some others to do but the ones I have done have worked great. I really recommend the red rtv high temp silicone.
[Reply]
OLS 07:34 AM 07-26-2013
I am sorry that I failed to come back and respond to you, Jeff, yes that was a "Stripes"
reference. Not as good as Caddyshack, but right on the heels....John Candy says this
to a dim-witted recruit when they get to Germany. Candy is scamming and taking
advantage of the whole platoon throughout the movie, in a loveable, teachable way.

Also not to be missed.....

Russell Ziskey: You could join a monastery.
John Winger: Did you ever see a monk get wildly fu(&ed by some teenage girls?
Russell Ziskey: Never.
John Winger: So much for the monastery.

and

Captain Stillman: [spying on female soldiers taking showers] I wish I was a loofah.
[Reply]
OLS 07:45 AM 07-26-2013
hey Jeff, do some internet searches with the words ROYAL OAK and also STORE BRAND.
If you can find the two phrases in a paragraph, you might be onto a great generic charcoal
MADE by royal oak but for 1/3 the price....in the USA there are a number of brands that
are super-generic and made by Royal Oak. I know my usual store brand at Piggly WIggly was
Best Choice, made by Royal Oak.

http://www.letstalkbbq.com/index.php?topic=687.0

A quote from that page....."ways to tell if your store brand charcoal is actually made by royal oak."

" Look on the bag (usually somewhere around the Bar Code) for a product or SKU number.
If you see a number that starts with "RO..." or “ROY…” then it's made by Royal Oak."
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up