Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Manufacturer and Buyer Aging
alfredo_buscatti 02:36 AM 05-09-2011
When I took up cigars last fall, I smoked them when I got them. But since then I've read many posts that state that certain cigars need some months of aging to reach their full potential.

I'm confused. Don't the high-end, such as Oliva, Fuente and Illusione, age their cigars before their release; moreover, the tobacco used is already aged.

Why then, and on what basis, is buyer aging needed?

But although I don't understand why, I've put down three boxes, My Father (green), Oliva Serie O (harsh) and serie V (don't ask me how, but something's missing). I plan to smoke one of each a month and have developed a document with target dates.
[Reply]
Patrick B 02:56 AM 05-09-2011
I'm in the minority, but I think Nicaraguan cigars taste best fresh. To me they only diminish in flavor and strength as time goes on...
[Reply]
cobra03 03:12 AM 05-09-2011
Its all a question of personal taste. When you buy a box smoke them if you like them keep smoking them. Aging cigars is mostly a crap shoot. You never really know what your going to end up with. Some cigars turn out great others just lose their strength and flavor. The idea is that the tabacos in the cigar blend together and become smoother and more refined with age. As with alot of things in life its up to personal preference. Smoke what you like.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 05:43 AM 05-09-2011
Many NC's are using older tobacco. You have to play it by personal taste. I have had a few NC's that tasted like paper after a few years of cabinet aging. There are no hard rules when it comes to aging, not aging, and personal preference.
[Reply]
alfredo_buscatti 08:34 AM 05-09-2011
Thank you gentleman for your seasoned advice!
[Reply]
lilwing88 09:27 AM 05-09-2011
I'm pretty new to this hobby as well, but my personal take on this is a "trial and error" approach. If you buy a box of something and the first one you smoke is a little off, then the rest go down for a nap. If they smoke great right away then enjoy!

I think that even though manufacturers age their smokes, that things can happen during transit that may affect the taste or burn. So, a short nap is always recommended.

I've had B&M owners tell me honestly, "You know, I just got those in, so let it rest for a week or two. I'd hate to have it unravel on you."

Aging some smokes might benefit flavor and strength, but I think we're talking years not months.
[Reply]
bvilchez 10:45 AM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by lilwing88:
Aging some smokes might benefit flavor and strength, but I think we're talking years not months.
I think that depends on many factors personally. How long was it aged before, was it stored at a good RH level, etc.:-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:54 AM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by alfredo_buscatti:

But although I don't understand why, I've put down three boxes, My Father (green), Oliva Serie O (harsh) and serie V (don't ask me how, but something's missing). I plan to smoke one of each a month and have developed a document with target dates.
Instead of trying them each month, hold off on trying them every 4-6 months. Then, you will be able to note the changes. Write your thoughts down and revisit them 4-6 months later when you have one of the cigars again. As time goes on, you will easily notice the changes.

:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:57 AM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by Patrick B:
I'm in the minority, but I think Nicaraguan cigars taste best fresh. To me they only diminish in flavor and strength as time goes on...
I'm guessing that fewer people age NC's than CC's. I too smoke my NC's as I get them. Some may sit a little longer, but only as I go through the boxes, not with any intent to age them.

I think Padron's in particular smoke best fresh. Just my :-)
[Reply]
MidnightMonkey 11:02 AM 05-25-2011
I think that in many cases, the new small boutique cigar companies use older tobacco that's been well aged and fermented properly. The faster the company grows and the greater the demand, the harder it is for them to do that. At some point they will have to start using newer tobacco or different tobacco and they'll have to start shipping them faster.

Remember when Cain and Nub were so amazing? A lot of people think it was the hype, but I think they hype was deserved. But the last time I bought a Cain and smoked it, I was totally disappointed.

When you go into your tobacconist, look for some companies that you don't recognize. Not just because it's different, but because that new cigar company has a lot vested into that cigar. They can't afford to make a bad cigar, because they're still trying to build their reputation. They're more likely to use the best tobacco they can afford and aged properly before shipping to the store.
[Reply]
OLS 11:35 AM 05-25-2011
Originally Posted by cobra03:
Its all a question of personal taste. When you buy a box, smoke them. If you like them keep smoking them. Aging cigars is mostly a crap shoot. You never really know what you're going to end up with. Some cigars turn out great, others just lose their strength and flavor.
Winner Winner, A-Chicken ah-DINNER.

YOU are correct sir. Well, after I corrected 5 punctuation mistakes, lol.

And by the way, on that particular subject, be VERY careful about falling into the trap that many
do, wherein you start stocking up to create this massive collection of non-C cigars. You end up
not being able to smoke them all in time and end up with a giant collection of dried up $hi+ that
you can't smoke.Most NC cigars have a window of opportunity. As was stated, light one up a
week after you buy the box. If you love it, smoke em up. If you hate it, bury it. You lose nothing
when you bury BAD cigars. If I had the NC habit, I would try to keep my stash below one marine
ice chest.
[Reply]
NoahBDH 12:16 PM 05-25-2011
I age fuentes, and most all dominican stuff. oddly enough i do like the Anejos fresh. Nicaraguans and honduran are good fresh or aged
[Reply]
N2 GOLD 12:26 PM 05-25-2011
I think it all comes down to personal taste & personal preference. What may work for guy #1 my not work for guy #2. Do what works best for you. After all, you are the one buying & smoking them. If you like them straight out the box or with some nap time it's up 2-u... :-)

Just my :-)
[Reply]
kuzi16 08:37 PM 05-25-2011
When I took up cigars last fall, I smoked them when I got them. But since then I've read many posts that state that certain cigars need some months of aging to reach their full potential.
i feel that there are a few that do well with age. but as many have said above, its personal taste.

I'm confused. Don't the high-end, such as Oliva, Fuente and Illusione, age their cigars before their release; moreover, the tobacco used is already aged.

Why then, and on what basis, is buyer aging needed?
most do have an aging room.
...and almost Zero non-cuban cigars need age post sale.

some people like it.
personally i like a stronger cigar with less spice. so i find myself aging cigars that are strong and spicy until they are not as spicy. the spice often goes first so it works out well for me.

this is actually a good idea. you will see how age smooths and settles cigars. if you think the O is harsh, the age may help it.
[Reply]
Up