Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
All Cigar Discussion>Cigars with mineral/soil notes?
gomeitsmybday 01:30 PM 03-21-2019
Hey all!

So I'm getting close to rounding up most of the cigars I need (NEED I say! Not want!) for vacation in June. I have lots of great corojos, chocolately maduros, CCs, and so on. I feel like I have most of my bases covered, except for one I've been interested in.
I know most often the mineral/soil/dirt notes a lot of people mention in their reviews play second fiddle to more predominate notes like pepper, cedar, coffee, etc. What I'm wondering is if there are any cigars/blends that really showcase the more earthy/mineraly notes I mentioned? I've googled and searched for such, but often just brings up results about the soil the tobacco is grown in, haha.
So I figure who better to ask than all of you? Can any of you recommend any cigars that have a lot of those kinds of notes? Preferably full or medium-full bodied cigars but open to any kind of wrapper! So far really the only one I could think of would maybe be My Father Le Bijou.
A big thanks in advance for any and all recommendations!! :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 03:25 PM 03-21-2019
I personally get a mineral taste from Dominican cigars. So, that would point to Fuente, La Aurora, LFD...
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 03:36 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I personally get a mineral taste from Dominican cigars. So, that would point to Fuente, La Aurora, LFD...
Thanks Bob! Good to hear, I have a couple 5ers of LFD in the humidor right now and as for Fuente, I already have an Eye if the Shark Sampler ready and waiting specifically for the vacation. :-)
Will look more in to La Aurora though!!
[Reply]
Weelok 03:41 PM 03-21-2019
I’ve never really understood earthy flavors and mineral is generally not good for my palate. That being said, Tatauaje Fausto or Avion. Fantastic cigar and reviewers find earth but I call it “rich tobacco” since I don’t eat dirt.
[Reply]
Wallbright 03:46 PM 03-21-2019
Small Batch Cigar actually has some recommendations on different flavor profiles in cigars. They have a few different posts of how to hone your palate with selections for each major type of flavor described in cigars. I'm not sure if I can link to their blog here since they are also a retailer? [If a Mod reads this then please let me know one way or the other.]

But this is their selection for earth which is what I think you are describing.

DEVELOP YOUR PALATE – EARTH | CALDWELL ALL OUT KINGS
Earth comes in many shapes and sizes but is unmistakable in just about any cigar in the Liga Privada series. To broaden our horizons, we selected the All Out Kings collaboration between Robert Caldwell, Willie Herrera, and Jonathan Drew. This cigar features the Liga Privada T-52 wrapper and is the perfect introduction to an earthy cigar.

Of course, earth is such a broad term that once you discover it you’ll be hard-pressed to just call it earth afterward. There’s dry dirt, wet soil, clay, damp (dank) earth, etc. And different cigars will project different nuances of earth over the course of the experience. Once lit, All Out Kings will initiate you into earthy tasting notes with what Andrew calls, “sweaty earth.”
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 03:52 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by Weelok:
since I don’t eat dirt.
:-)

@ Wallbright that sounds like just what I need, a resource to look for cigars by flavor profiles, will be checking out Small batch for sure. I've stumbled across their site once or twice before but didn't really look under the hood, so to speak.
And All out Kings is going on the research list along with La Aurora! Thanks guys, this will definitely get me started!
[Reply]
T.G 03:54 PM 03-21-2019
Puros Indios = Spicy dirt.
[Reply]
stearns 03:58 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by T.G:
Puros Indios = Spicy dirt.
Only after hour 4 :-)

[Reply]
Wallbright 04:04 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by stearns:

[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 04:05 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by stearns:

Haha that is crazy! Will add those to the list as well, but maybe a slightly smaller size...
[Reply]
Wallbright 04:15 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday:
Haha that is crazy! Will add those to the list as well, but maybe a slightly smaller size...
I could be wrong, but I think he was making a joke saying Puros Indios don't taste good. They are infamous for not being very good.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 04:50 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
I could be wrong, but I think he was making a joke saying Puros Indios don't taste good. They are infamous for not being very good.
Yeeeeah you might be on to something, the reviews were less than stellar from what I was seeing...thanks for a confirmation though. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:35 PM 03-21-2019
Since Liga Privada has been mentioned, you should also look into the Dunbarton Tobacco lines, Sobremesa, Mi Querida, Umbagog, etc. Steve Saka who was behind the LP’s now owns/runs DTT. Some similar profiles.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 08:20 PM 03-21-2019
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Since Liga Privada has been mentioned, you should also look into the Dunbarton Tobacco lines, Sobremesa, Mi Querida, Umbagog, etc. Steve Saka who was behind the LP’s now owns/runs DTT. Some similar profiles.
Excellent! Yeah most of those were already in the "maybe" column for vacation, but thinking they've now been nudged to "definite 5ers". :-)
[Reply]
Hippi3Slay3r 10:50 PM 03-21-2019
I haven't had one in ages but from what I remember gurkha's we're predominantly wet soil Earth and dirt notes. Honestly one of the things that steers people away from them but if that's your thing I'd give it a go. More specifically it was the Gurkha Shaggy :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 01:26 AM 03-22-2019
Carlos Torano used to have the taste of dirt. Nothing as fancy as "soil". :-) Not sure if they're still like that, I haven't smoked one for at least 15 years, 'cause I hate 'em. :-)
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 04:55 AM 03-22-2019
Yeah Gurkha is one of the brands I tend to avoid too, but might take a look at Torano! It seems it might be a note that a lot of people avoid, but I had a cigar a while back that had a few fleeting notes of what I could only describe as fresh, mineraly soil. But in a good way! Sort of like the smell of the earth/mud outside after a nice fresh rain.
Only problem is that I can't remember for sure which cigar it was! I wanted to say it was the Le Bijou but I very well could be confusing it with something else, haha.
The Saka stuff sounds promising along with the All Out Kings, also plan to check out the stuff Weelok suggested too.
Thanks again everyone for the suggestions, you've all been really helpful! :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:34 AM 03-22-2019
It you end up liking those Torano dirt notes, your palate is definitely different than mine.

I've had several of the Saka cigars, and those are very tasty, albeit a little pricey at times.
[Reply]
Wallbright 01:24 PM 03-22-2019
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Carlos Torano used to have the taste of dirt. Nothing as fancy as "soil". :-) Not sure if they're still like that, I haven't smoked one for at least 15 years, 'cause I hate 'em. :-)
That last bit made me laugh out loud for real haha
[Reply]
icehog3 12:07 AM 03-23-2019
Originally Posted by Wallbright:
That last bit made me laugh out loud for real haha
Most people 'round these parts will tell ya that's what I'm here for. :-) :-)
[Reply]
Page 1 of 2
1 2 >
Up