Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Buying cigars directly from manufacturers?
borndead1 07:48 PM 02-16-2019
Hey all, call me paranoid, but I think the FDA will someday crack down on cigars so hard that buying them in the US will be extremely difficult and expensive. Aside from CCs, have you ever bought cigars directly from a cigar factory in Central/South America? The DR? Give me some links!
[Reply]
SSDVC 05:27 PM 02-17-2019
I don't have any links to share, but I do think that there would be plenty of notice before something like that would happen. And more than likely, cigarettes would be hit first. Remember, they tried Prohibition once and it failed, miserably. If the day ever came that it would be extremely difficult or impossible to legally purchase our beloved sticks, other alternatives would surely rise out of the (lack of) ashes.

That's just my humble opinion.
[Reply]
gomeitsmybday 07:09 PM 02-17-2019
Yeah prohibition only creates black markets, more risk and danger for everyone...that said, I never thought I'd see the day that smoking tobacco would be outlawed on a sidewalk! Just imagine, tobacco kingpins like Scarface...Fuente Jr. or Pepin sitting at a table with a mound of beautifully aged tobacco, ranting and raving about burying the competition like cockroaches!!
Oh and no, sorry never bought directly from manufacturers. :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 08:21 PM 02-17-2019
The only one I can think of is Vegas de Santiago

https://www.cigars-vegasantiago.biz/en/home
[Reply]
dave 06:34 AM 02-18-2019
It is tough to do retail AND wholesale on a large scale. That's true of many (most?) commodities. Especially one that feels a need to continue support specialized brick and mortars. Add in the complexities of primarily off shore production, importation, .... One aspect that makes cigar sales particularly confusing ...that I don't understand the impacts and dynamics, is the complex ownership relationships of wholesalers and retailers....STC, Swedish Match, Meier&Dutch, Altadus, General....all names that represent or support multiple entities....an intertwined business....not even getting into production deals between 'makers', growers, blenders, factories...it sure appears to be so complicated that wide scale direct sales seems unlikely any time soon.
[Reply]
borndead1 03:47 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
The only one I can think of is Vegas de Santiago

https://www.cigars-vegasantiago.biz/en/home
I placed an order with them back in December. They never shipped it and wouldn't answer my emails, so I had to initiate a chargeback with the credit card company.
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 04:10 PM 02-18-2019
Originally Posted by borndead1:
I placed an order with them back in December. They never shipped it and wouldn't answer my emails, so I had to initiate a chargeback with the credit card company.
I’ve had several good experiences with them or I wouldn’t have suggested it. I sent them an email. I will report back their response or the lack of it.
[Reply]
borndead1 09:48 PM 02-18-2019
Thanks. I sent an email a few days ago asking if they still ship to the US. No response yet. I ordered a couple of samplers from them many years ago and I remember liking the cigars a lot.
[Reply]
Tio Gato 05:23 AM 02-19-2019
Mark I too worry a bit about an FDA crackdown. I found a few brands that I like then hit Cigarbid.com hard. Cherry picked when the price is right and now I have a huge stockpile put away. I figure there's enough to last two decades.:-)

Be sure to pick cigars that age well.:-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 06:55 AM 02-20-2019
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Thanks. I sent an email a few days ago asking if they still ship to the US. No response yet. I ordered a couple of samplers from them many years ago and I remember liking the cigars a lot.
I have emailed back and forth with them twice since this post. They went so far as to find this thread. They ask that you contact them with your order #. I’ll put the email address I used on your private messages.

Bob
[Reply]
borndead1 05:23 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat:
I have emailed back and forth with them twice since this post. They went so far as to find this thread. They ask that you contact them with your order #. I’ll put the email address I used on your private messages.

Bob
They got back to me today. Apparently, my cigars were 'inspected' by Customs and returned to them. :-)
[Reply]
Up