Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Coffee Discussion>First roasting experience
BlkDrew 08:26 PM 09-01-2014
Got a 4 lb sampler from SM, used a cuisinart popcorn popper, not as easy as a thought it would be since there is only one inlet for the heat, no slots to spin the beans. But I think I did ok for the first 1/3 cup. I'll see if I can rig something
Brazilian Natural
[Reply]
ApexAZ 09:50 PM 09-04-2014
Drew you should get the stainless steel whirly pop. Works like a charm and some people have figured out ways to attach a motor. It's a pretty inexpensive way to start.
[Reply]
OnePyroTec 06:32 PM 09-10-2014
Just to start roasting is the most important. :-) Those beans don't look black and oily so they are OK in my book.

When you say you used the popcorn popper, is it the hot air model or traditional add oil type popper?
[Reply]
T.G 06:41 PM 09-10-2014
I started out with a hot air popcorn popper that, like yours, just had the bottom inlet rather than the side "swirl" vents. What I ended up doing was making a chimney from two tin cans with both the tops and bottoms cut out and then taped together with high temp tape. Took the plastic top off the roaster and stuck the chimney into the chamber, then would wear leather gloves and use a long wooden spoon or just gently shake the roaster to stir the beans during roasting.
[Reply]
8zeros 11:19 AM 09-11-2014
I don't know anything about coffee except drinking it but I just wondered, has anyone thought about using a rotisserie? Rig a can in one like a tumbler?
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 11:34 AM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by T.G:
I started out with a hot air popcorn popper that, like yours, just had the bottom inlet rather than the side "swirl" vents. What I ended up doing was making a chimney from two tin cans with both the tops and bottoms cut out and then taped together with high temp tape. Took the plastic top off the roaster and stuck the chimney into the chamber, then would wear leather gloves and use a long wooden spoon or just gently shake the roaster to stir the beans during roasting.
I find it more challenging not using the leather gloves Adam:-)
[Reply]
ApexAZ 12:57 PM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by 8zeros:
I don't know anything about coffee except drinking it but I just wondered, has anyone thought about using a rotisserie? Rig a can in one like a tumbler?
There are commercial and diy kits for attaching coffee drums to both electric and grill style rotisserie.

There are coffee roasting kits for the Ronco electric rotisserie. I don't have any personal experience with them, but have read that they can have trouble reaching temps needed for a good roast.
[Reply]
TXSmokey 01:17 PM 09-11-2014
Dumb question here, can't you put them in the oven?
[Reply]
ApexAZ 01:32 PM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by TXSmokey:
Dumb question here, can't you put them in the oven?
Yes, but people prefer a method that agitates the bean throughout the roast to prevent scorching. The pan side of the been will burn in the oven. You can do it in a pan too, you just have to continuously stir the beans. Even this method results in some scorching though.

A constant tumbling is preferred to achieve a consistent roast.
[Reply]
OnePyroTec 02:43 PM 09-11-2014
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Yes, but people prefer a method that agitates the bean throughout the roast to prevent scorching. The pan side of the been will burn in the oven. You can do it in a pan too, you just have to continuously stir the beans. Even this method results in some scorching though.

A constant tumbling is preferred to achieve a consistent roast.
Agreed, I have seen it done in the oven once. It was a total failure.
[Reply]
BlkDrew 11:09 PM 09-16-2014
Originally Posted by OnePyroTec:
Just to start roasting is the most important. :-) Those beans don't look black and oily so they are OK in my book.

When you say you used the popcorn popper, is it the hot air model or traditional add oil type popper?
it is the hot air model. but i got the wrong one. it just blows from the bottom not the sides.... off to the goodwill for me...
[Reply]
OnePyroTec 09:28 PM 09-19-2014
The good will is the perfect place to the hot air poppers. I used to use the name brand small roasters, burn up too quick. Then switched to hot air poppers from the thrift stores for $5.00 and lasted 4-5 times longer than the small roasters.

I finally HAD to jump up to a larger roaster because of the volume of beans we go through and gifts. I'd still use the hot air poppers if I could.
[Reply]
Up