Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Omar Ortez Original -- ROTT
borndead1 12:35 PM 03-24-2009
Got another 60 box of these today as part of my recent NC pre-SCHIP stockpiling. :-)

Man, what a great smoke. Deep flavors of wood, spice, and sweet tobacco. I find these to be an excellent Tatuaje alternative for us broke mofos.

The OOO is a perfect example of a NC that benefits from aging. I SWEAR these cigars go through "sick periods" just like CCs. I have about 20 or so sticks left from a box I got back in December '07, and they still get a bit of ammonia toward the end if I don't smoke slowly enough. This fresh one is good so far at about 1/3 through. They have "bite" but the nose exhale is not harsh at all. The aroma is a solid CIGAR smell. The OOO is definitely a cigar that would get a nasty look and a "That cigar stinks!" from your wife.

About halfway...dominant flavors are still the same, but the finish takes on a sort of liquor flavor. 99% of the time I only drink water while smoking, but I could see a Scotch and club soda pairing very well with these cigars.

Final 1/3...leathery flavor is kicking in, with the liquor finish becoming stronger. It has become a sweet liquor flavor though, like Yukon Jack or SoCo. Well maybe not THAT sweet.

Let 'er die at a little over 1". As soon as the box comes out of the freezer they are getting buried in the bottom of the cooler while I smoke through the older ones first.

What sucks is that it is cigars packaged this way that will take the biggest hit once the tax hike kicks in. A box of 20 cigars with an added tax of $.40 per stick is a shitty but still manageable $8 price increase. A big box of 60 of my beloved Omars...you're talking a $24/box price hike. :-)

I may try to snag 1 more box before April Fool's Day. :-)
[Reply]
G G 02:00 PM 03-24-2009
I love those as well. I gotta get me some more as I only have one or two left. Thanks for the review.:-)
[Reply]
BlackIrish 03:33 PM 03-24-2009
Really like these, too. They have a great balance of flavor and power.
[Reply]
HK3- 06:10 PM 03-24-2009
Thanks for the review Mark. I am going to see what this Omar Ortiz is all about.... :-)
[Reply]
promethius 07:26 PM 03-24-2009
Nice review, never had one but will throw it on the wish list.
[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:35 PM 03-24-2009
Must try Omar Ortez. Making note....

MCS
[Reply]
dccraft 06:20 AM 06-12-2009
Finally got around to trying one of these I picked up from you last July Mark. This was a very nice smoke. I was expecting something with a lot of spice in it, but it turned out that the spice was just right. Very smooth on the initial light up with some very nice flavor developing through the rest of the smoke. This one turned out to be a pleasant surprise. :-)
[Reply]
borndead1 12:22 PM 06-15-2009
Smoking one of these right now. Man, I love 'em. One of my favorite NCs. :-)
[Reply]
skullnrose 12:27 PM 06-15-2009
After reading you original post on these I picked some up. Really nice bang for the buck stick.
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 03:01 PM 06-15-2009
good sticks, worth every penny :-)
[Reply]
Silound 10:17 AM 06-16-2009
This is one of Altadis' better cigars. Great physical quality and a consistent well balanced taste. Too bad it was nothing more than an attempt to knock off the RP Edge, because it's a great smoke.

As for the $24 a box hike, just remember that's $24 added to a 200ish dollar box? Far better than a box of The Edge running $600. Still more affordable than that box of Tats.
[Reply]
OLS 01:14 PM 03-07-2011
I had one this weekend and I was not impressed. I think 15 years of smoking straight habanos has
wussified my palate. These things are so 'strong' that I do not get a lot of flavor. I can tell there is
nuance and flavor there, I just don't enjoy the stength. But I didn't buy them for me and promptly
boxed up 50 of em for Papa John. Was gonna get a few more chests, but ehhh....I'm torn.
Mine was ROTT and a day and a half of dryboxing. Had trouble in the lighting with a
funny chunk of partially burned tobacco hanging on for 1/4 inch, but other than that it burned
and drew like a dream. Lot's of smoke.
[Reply]
borndead1 08:46 PM 06-11-2019
Smoking an Omar right now and had to dig up this old thread.

I can't believe I ever stopped smoking these things. I must have burned myself out on them. What amazes me the most is that the blend and construction have not gone to crap over the years.

Without a doubt, one of the best sub-$4 cigars around. Maybe THE best.

Thank you, Mr. Ortez.
[Reply]
The camaro show 09:10 PM 06-11-2019
Are these still made and around??
[Reply]
icehog3 08:07 AM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by The camaro show:
Are these still made and around??
Google is your friend, Chayse....

https://www.cigarsinternational.com/...igars/1412425/

https://www.jrcigars.com/cigars/hand...-ortez-cigars/

https://www.cigars.com/omar-ortez-cigars

https://mikescigars.com/brands/omar-ortez

https://www.bestcigarprices.com/omar...iginal-cigars/
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:13 PM 06-12-2019
I believe the Omar Ortez folks are now also behind the Psyko cigar lines...
[Reply]
Brian D. 01:44 PM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by elderboy02:
I believe the Omar Ortez folks are now also behind the Psyko cigar lines...
Some of them, anyway. Ventura Cigars definitely do collaboration with other companies.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 01:44 PM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by borndead1:
Smoking an Omar right now and had to dig up this old thread.

I can't believe I ever stopped smoking these things. I must have burned myself out on them. What amazes me the most is that the blend and construction have not gone to crap over the years.

Without a doubt, one of the best sub-$4 cigars around. Maybe THE best.

Thank you, Mr. Ortez.
These "were" incredible smokes. I had quite a few stocked up and just smoked what I had. Eventually, I ran out. So, in the past few years I have picked up a 5er here or there of one line or another. I cannot say that I have the same love for these. Is it the blend, or my tastes that have changed? I am guessing blend, for there is just a ton of stuff that I remembered being there, which is no longer there.

They were a great cigar. And at about $2.00 a stick, they were an absolute steal!
[Reply]
borndead1 08:48 PM 06-12-2019
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
These "were" incredible smokes. I had quite a few stocked up and just smoked what I had. Eventually, I ran out. So, in the past few years I have picked up a 5er here or there of one line or another. I cannot say that I have the same love for these. Is it the blend, or my tastes that have changed? I am guessing blend, for there is just a ton of stuff that I remembered being there, which is no longer there.

They were a great cigar. And at about $2.00 a stick, they were an absolute steal!
I think it's your palate!
[Reply]
G G 04:54 PM 06-13-2019
I bought a box of 60 a couple years ago and still like them.
[Reply]
Up