Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 95 of 129
« First < 4585939495 9697105 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
Starscream 10:38 AM 06-24-2011
Happy Birthday Myles!

Any thoughts on carbs and artificial sweetners? We were hoping you could weigh in on this matter.
[Reply]
goalie204 10:47 AM 06-24-2011
TY Andy :-)

I eat them, they dont have carbs, but i just dont go crazy on them, maybe a diet soda once a week, or some sugar free jello here and there, but i dont eat that much of it.

Here, again copy/pasted:

For some folks artificial sweeteners and regular sugar can trigger something called the "cephalic phase insulin response". Basically, the sweet taste alone will cause you to release insulin. The insulin will grab any bit of sugar you might have floating around in your blood. When you blood sugar dips below a certain point, it triggers your brain to feel hunger or cravings.

This is results in a vicious cycle: the more you eat or drink of the artificial sweetener the more insulin you'll release so the hungrier you'll feel and the more you'll want/need to eat. That's why some people can't stop drinking can after can of diet soda: satisfying their sweet tooth only makes them want more. This can happen with any artificial sweetener.

http://bestlowcarbs.com/article1082.html
http://www.extique.com/askrob5-3.htm

This is why the ADBB moderators and old-timers strongly advise everyone to kill that sweet tooth during Induction. Starve that sweet tooth and you'll be in control of the food, rather than the food be in control of you.
[Reply]
Starscream 11:47 AM 06-24-2011
I don't really mess with diet drinks. My artificial sweetner source is limited to coffee every day. I average three cups in the morning (about six packets of sweetner), and maybe some in the afternoon (once in a while).
[Reply]
Starscream 11:57 AM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by goalie204:
Sorry, this is not a scientific fact, and like andy said, everyone is different.

have a read of these two books:

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-.../dp/1400040787

http://www.amazon.com/Why-We-Get-Fat...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Calorie-restricted diets work because they inadvertently cut carbohydrates. But they also starve you and your body compensates by making you hungry. You'll stay hungry for years until your body gets what it wants- the calories to replace what it lost. Just like everything else in your body fat growth is regulated by growth hormones, not calories. The growth hormone that regulates fat is called insulin (maybe you've heard of it :P), and it's production is triggered by eating carbohydrates, not fat. You can eat as much fat as you like and so long as your insulin levels are low you won't gain weight because your body has no signal to. That's why a lion can eat half an antelope and not get fat but a house cat on kibble seems to gain weight no matter what you do. Kibble has carbs. An antelope doesn't. To think otherwise would be like asking why you don't get taller when you eat more. The answer to that is obvious and the answer to horizontal weight gain is exactly the same. Weirdly, no one likes to put 2-and-2 together on that one. I guess it's just easier tot think that you get fat by being lazy and eating too much, not due to some complicated hormonal dance. To make matters worse being lazy and eating too much really does make you gain weight, but it's just not for the reason people think it does.

^ Copy/pasted from an article i was reading, but says what i would have typed pretty much, in different words
Not necessarily. I've never starved myself before on calorie restricted diets. It's all about how you use those calories. As a matter of fact, I'm still using WW, which is a calorie restricted plan, and I have started cutting carbs over the last day or so. I've been stuffed to the gills for two days and I've yet to eat above 1500 calories. I haven't even gotten halfway to my daily allowance and I've been stuffed.

Sounds good in theory, but a lion doesn't eat half an antelope every day. That antelope will fuel the lion for quite a while. I agree that the cat eating high carb meals everyday then sitting around doing nothing makes it fat.

I agree with the rest of your post.:-)
Calories in/calories out works if you do it right. For many people, not everyone.:-)
[Reply]
forgop 02:29 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Commander Quan:
A low carb/high fat weight loss program is more about controlling insulin levels than is is about the old calorie in/calorie out thought. Do a quick search about insulin levels and weight loss.
I wasn't referring to Atkins in terms of calories in < calories out for weight loss. I was simply referring to a diet such as Weight Watchers.
[Reply]
Starscream 03:31 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
Congrats Hugh and Derrick!:-)

As far as the discussion Duane and I were having, it was in relation to flaws with the new WW and their new Points Plus foods. Yes, calories in, calories out is flawed depending on what you eat, but you can't eat 60,000 calories and expect to lose weight. That is what we were talking about with the zero points foods, such as apples. You can't expect to eat 70 apples a day and expect to lose weight, even if your points total for the day would be zero. I think everyone is taking it out of context here.
Originally Posted by forgop:
I wasn't referring to Atkins in terms of calories in < calories out for weight loss. I was simply referring to a diet such as Weight Watchers.
Got ya covered, Duane.:-) It's all good. No harm no foul.
How's it going today, brother?

I just finished an hour on the Wii Fit. Running, Strength training, Yoga, Hula Hoop.
[Reply]
Kreth 04:58 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
I just finished an hour on the Wii Fit. Running, Strength training, Yoga, Hula Hoop.
After my warm-up, I like to start with advanced step. Then I mix it up between running, biking, super hula hoop, and rhythm boxing. Sometimes I throw in obstacle course, too.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
forgop 08:01 PM 06-24-2011
I ended up delaying my start date until tomorrow. My wife insisted I take her to a very delicious chinese buffet that has sushi and lots of other goodies, so I went there kicking and screaming along the way. :-)

I have 9 racks of baby back ribs prepped to go on the smoker tomorrow and will try to limit myself to maybe 1/3 rack of ribs for a meal and then find a leaner option like fish/chicken for another meal to keep the calories from getting outrageous.
[Reply]
goalie204 08:43 PM 06-24-2011
the biggest thing is that everyone is different. Some people can lose weight cutting carbs, some can't lose weight unless they cut ALL carbs. Some can lose weight lowering fat, some do this and are hungry all the time, or feel weak. Key: everyone is different, and we all have to find what works best for us, i think we can all agree on this :-)

The most important part of losing wait is sustainability. If you can cut fat and calories and lose weight, and remain at the energy level you need to be at, remain happy, and not feel deprived, then that is awesome! Me personally, the low carb thing has been working for me for almost 2 months, and this is the longest i've been able to stick to a plan and not falter. I'm never hungry, and most importantly for a compulsive like myself - NO CRAVINGS for sugary badness :-) EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! :-)

Birthday dinner was amazing, went to my folks place (which i WANTED to do) - we had oysters and caviar, then lobster and steak and salad. 10/10 :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 09:06 PM 06-24-2011
Originally Posted by goalie204:
the biggest thing is that everyone is different. Some people can lose weight cutting carbs, some can't lose weight unless they cut ALL carbs. Some can lose weight lowering fat, some do this and are hungry all the time, or feel weak. Key: everyone is different, and we all have to find what works best for us, i think we can all agree on this :-)

The most important part of losing wait is sustainability. If you can cut fat and calories and lose weight, and remain at the energy level you need to be at, remain happy, and not feel deprived, then that is awesome! Me personally, the low carb thing has been working for me for almost 2 months, and this is the longest i've been able to stick to a plan and not falter. I'm never hungry, and most importantly for a compulsive like myself - NO CRAVINGS for sugary badness :-) EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT! :-)

Birthday dinner was amazing, went to my folks place (which i WANTED to do) - we had oysters and caviar, then lobster and steak and salad. 10/10 :-)
I'm jealous, Myles. I love oysters, lobster, and steak.:-)
[Reply]
Starscream 09:07 PM 06-24-2011
I ended up delaying my start date until tomorrow. My wife insisted I take her to a very delicious chinese buffet that has sushi and lots of other goodies, so I went there kicking and screaming along the way. :-)

I have 9 racks of baby back ribs prepped to go on the smoker tomorrow and will try to limit myself to maybe 1/3 rack of ribs for a meal and then find a leaner option like fish/chicken for another meal to keep the calories from getting outrageous.
Just make sure you start tomorrow.:-)

:-)
[Reply]
shilala 09:41 AM 06-25-2011
I'm still hanging right at 204. I've been working about 14 hours a day on this deck and I'm getting obviously more muscular. It's getting easier to drag myself around, too.
I haven't been eating any more than usual, my portions are right on target. I've been eating a sandwich at lunch which I seldom do, then make sure I have dinner. Last night I had a couple piecesof pizza and some leftover spaghetti.
It's odd that a change in activity would stall my weight loss, but I'm perfectly okay with it, I'm getting healthier.
I gotta get to work. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 10:07 AM 06-25-2011
Ok, first day of Atkins and my weigh in was at 229.2. I figured I would be at 235 the way I've eaten since my last diet "attempt".
[Reply]
Starscream 10:20 AM 06-25-2011
Originally Posted by shilala:
I'm still hanging right at 204. I've been working about 14 hours a day on this deck and I'm getting obviously more muscular. It's getting easier to drag myself around, too.
I haven't been eating any more than usual, my portions are right on target. I've been eating a sandwich at lunch which I seldom do, then make sure I have dinner. Last night I had a couple piecesof pizza and some leftover spaghetti.
It's odd that a change in activity would stall my weight loss, but I'm perfectly okay with it, I'm getting healthier.
I gotta get to work. :-)
Healthier is what really matters. Keep it up! We want to see that deck completed.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:21 AM 06-25-2011
Ok, first day of Atkins and my weigh in was at 229.2. I figured I would be at 235 the way I've eaten since my last diet "attempt".
:-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 05:47 AM 06-26-2011
I had my weigh in today.
264.2, down another two pounds.
However, I don't think I'll make my goal.
I'll be close but short.
My next goal is 250 by Labor day.
If I stay the course that should be an easy one.

Had no energy yesterday.
Woke at 7 ate breakfast, back to bed at 10.
Woke at 12:30 ate lunch, back to bed at 3.
Woke at 5:30 ate dinner, smoked a cigar, back to bed at 11.
It was a great day! :-)
[Reply]
Kreth 06:41 AM 06-26-2011
260.5 this morning pre-workout. My next goal on WFP is 256 by Tuesday. It's gonna be close.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:02 AM 06-26-2011
225.6 yesterday morning for my official weigh-in, 225.2 this morning. I was surprised at yesterday's number after being in KC this past week. Had BBQ twice for dinner, fried chicken another, then a 5 Guys burger for lunch of Friday.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:28 AM 06-26-2011
Here's another recipe that's pretty quick/easy. This made 3 servings.

Thai Chicken Sausage w/Noodles

1 cup (dry) pasta, doesn't matter what type, I used rotini
1lb spicy chicken sausage, 4 links whole
1tbsp olive oil
3.5 oz onions coarsely chopped
3.5 oz red bell pepper coarsely chopped
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp fish sauce
juice of one small lime
2/3C coconut milk
red pepper flakes, to taste
cilantro leaves

Cook pasta per instructions on box, drain and set aside. In a large pan over med-high heat, brown sausage links on all sides, about 7-8 mins. Use a bit of olive oil if needed to keep from sticking. Don't worry about cooking sausage all the way through as it'll finish cooking later. Remove sausage and slice into 1" pieces. In same pan, over med-high heat, add the remaining oil and saute the onions/peppers for 4-5 minutes. Add garlic, saute for 30 seconds more. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, half of the lime juice, red pepper flakes and sausage pieces to pan. Cook for 5-6 mins more until sausage is cooked through. The coconut milk will reduce some which is what you want. You're looking for a thick sauce to form. If it reduces too much, add a bit of water. Add reserved pasta and cook long enough to reheat the pasta.

Dish up into bowls, garnish with cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime.

Calories 324, Fat 18g, Sat Fat 8g, trans fat 0g, sodium 957mg, carbs 25g, fiber 2g, sugars 6g, protein 18g

You can also add sliced carrots, bean sprouts, thai basil, maybe some chopped peanuts too.
[Reply]
goalie204 07:31 AM 06-26-2011
i seem to be up 2lbs from my last weigh in (a week ago) but probably just bunged up

andy, that nutritional info doesn't look right, a cup of pasta is at least 50 grams of carbs, plus there are carbs in the veg, coconut milk, etc
[Reply]
Page 95 of 129
« First < 4585939495 9697105 > Last »
Up