Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 94 of 159
« First < 4484929394 9596104144 > Last »
General Discussion>What are you reading?
BSB 12:03 PM 04-07-2012
"The First Fast Draw" by Louis L'Amour Almost done, good read. A little different, takes place in East Texas, right after the Civil War.
[Reply]
Cenookie 05:27 PM 04-07-2012
Just finished Digital Fortress by Dan Brown, a very good read!
[Reply]
markem 06:27 PM 04-07-2012
Stumbled across this one. The writing is good and so is the story so far.

The Last Ringbearer

Think of it as the story of Tolkien's trilogy and after as told by the other side. In fact, remember that to the victor goes the writing of history, so how different would the history be if told from the loser's perspective?

This is from the e-jacket e-blurb:

More than 15 years ago Russian scientist Kirill Yeskov tried to settle certain geographical problems in Tolkien's fantasy world. One thing led to another, and he tackled a bigger project - what would happen if we assumed that it's no less real than our world? His conclusion was that in such a case, the story of the Ring of Power is most likely a much-altered heroic retelling of a major war - but what was that war really about?

The result of this re-appraisal was the publication in 1999 of "The Last Ring-bearer" - a re-thinking of Tolkien's story in real-world terms. Dr. Yeskov, a professional paleontologist whose job is reconstructing long-extinct organisms and their way of life from fossil remnants, performs essentially the same feat in "The Last Ring-bearer", reconstructing the real world of Tolkien's Arda from the heroic tales of the Free Men of the West written in that world. We have a pretty good idea how well heroic tales map to reality from our own world...
[Reply]
elderboy02 01:56 PM 04-08-2012
Just finished Brooklyn 1975
[Reply]
forgop 02:50 PM 04-08-2012
Originally Posted by BigCat:
Excellent. I think I'd get bored with the "detailed" military history, so this sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I appreciate the recommendation.

Edit: And, it's not available on the kindle yet. I'll keep my eyes open for it.
Am I looking at the wrong book?

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Thir...3918103&sr=1-1

For $2.99, sounds like a great read.
[Reply]
iamsolitary 11:46 PM 04-08-2012
Just finished reading The Hobbit again in anticipation of the movie this year. It had been a long time since I had read it.
[Reply]
BigCat 05:31 AM 04-09-2012
Originally Posted by forgop:
Am I looking at the wrong book?

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Fall-Thir...3918103&sr=1-1

For $2.99, sounds like a great read.
When I searched for it (not on my kindle), it had a link to request an e-version to encourage the publisher to make one available. This looks like a different cover to the same book. Thanks for posting this!
[Reply]
Apoco 07:47 AM 04-09-2012
Picked up Speaker for the Dead (2nd book of the Ender's Game series) again last night - I had petered out on reading it. Been really slacking on my reading lately :/. It took me years to start reading - gonna try to not stop.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
taltos 06:03 AM 04-10-2012
Vince Flynn, American Assassin.
[Reply]
pnoon 06:36 AM 04-10-2012
Originally Posted by anz0002:
Although I read a lot but my center of attraction. I really admire writers like Paul Coelho
Huh?
:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:37 AM 04-10-2012
The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson
[Reply]
BSB 08:50 AM 04-10-2012
"Reilly's Luck" by Louis L'Amour, I really like L'Amour.
Also picked up the new Stuart Woods and Lee Child, in paperback. Mix it up a little bit.
[Reply]
Apoco 09:50 PM 04-12-2012
Just finished up Speaker for the Dead (2nd book of the Ender's Game series). Awesome read!
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 10:32 PM 04-12-2012
Originally Posted by Apoco:
Just finished up Speaker for the Dead (2nd book of the Ender's Game series). Awesome read!
Posted via Mobile Device
:-) Awesome read, you going to go to Xenocide next? That was also good.
[Reply]
Apoco 08:23 AM 04-13-2012
Originally Posted by SpruceBruce:
:-) Awesome read, you going to go to Xenocide next? That was also good.
Yep! Going to tackle:

Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow

I've been amazed looking at Wikipedia regarding the Ender's Game series. He's written 13 full novels - only 5 of them (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Shadows Alive which he is writing now) are really considered to be part of the quintet...the rest are just other cool things he wanted to add in.

I really like Orson Scott Card's writing style. I'm considering reading through LotR again once I've finished up with the Ender's series...but I'm scared to dive back into Tolkien. "Ahhh yes - let me spend SIX PAGES describing this door to you..."
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Reaver2145 08:48 AM 04-13-2012
Xenos by Dan abnett its growing on me as i enjoy W40K quite a bit.

So far the inquisitor Eisenhorn has slaughtered a few dozen people been tortured and has slaughtered a few dozen more.

All in all a good book so far unless youre a space wolf.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:12 AM 04-13-2012
Yep! Going to tackle:

Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Ender's Shadow

I've been amazed looking at Wikipedia regarding the Ender's Game series. He's written 13 full novels - only 5 of them (Ender's Game, Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, Children of the Mind, and Shadows Alive which he is writing now) are really considered to be part of the quintet...the rest are just other cool things he wanted to add in.

I really like Orson Scott Card's writing style. I'm considering reading through LotR again once I've finished up with the Ender's series...but I'm scared to dive back into Tolkien. "Ahhh yes - let me spend SIX PAGES describing this door to you..."
Posted via Mobile Device
I've reado most of Card's works as I also love his writing. Looking forward to rereading some of it in the future :-)
[Reply]
SpruceBruce 09:24 AM 04-13-2012
[/size]
:-) Yup!
[Reply]
IlmProcess 11:48 PM 04-14-2012
A Consumers' Republic: The Politics of Mass Consumption in Postwar America by Lizabeth Cohen
[Reply]
never_enough 08:09 PM 04-15-2012
Thinking Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
[Reply]
Page 94 of 159
« First < 4484929394 9596104144 > Last »
Up