Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 90 of 129
« First < 4080888990 9192100 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Losing Weight with Starscream
goalie204 10:07 PM 06-17-2011
being in nunavut was hard for sticking to the plan, but to the best of my ability i didn't stray. Now in yellowknife for the next few days before i go home, should be easier :-)
[Reply]
jonumberone 09:16 AM 06-18-2011
I've only been doing the low carb thing for 2 days, but I do feel like I woke up with some pep in my step.
It may be that I'm excited to be heading out to herf, but whatever the reason, Saturday is usually crash day for me.

I decided to buck up and track my food carefully.
Yesterday I took in 1917 cal 73 carbs & 129 fat.
My question is, in what range should I keep my fat intake?
The app I have says 50-100 but it also says 250-400 carbs.
Just wondering if you guys can help.

Also Bob, what app are you using to track your walking?
Thanks guys! :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:28 PM 06-18-2011
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
I've only been doing the low carb thing for 2 days, but I do feel like I woke up with some pep in my step.
It may be that I'm excited to be heading out to herf, but whatever the reason, Saturday is usually crash day for me.

I decided to buck up and track my food carefully.
Yesterday I took in 1917 cal 73 carbs & 129 fat.
My question is, in what range should I keep my fat intake?
The app I have says 50-100 but it also says 250-400 carbs.
Just wondering if you guys can help.

Also Bob, what app are you using to track your walking?
Thanks guys! :-)
That's awesome Dom that you're feeling better.

I try to keep my fat intake below 65g, but that's one of the harder ones to do. I love cheese way too much and the low/non fat versions suck horribly. If you can, try to stick with lower fat versions of your proteins. A big culprit too is lunch meats. They're usually high in fat and sodium, except for turkey. Surprisingly, Jimmie Johns roast beef is pretty low in fat. I get their Unwich (wrapped in lettuce) and it's only like 5g of fat, even with cheese. Also, go light on things like mayo. It's notoriously high in fat. Cutting it in half will still give you the taste but a lot less fat. Same for salad dressings if you're into salads. Most have a lot of oils and eggs in them. What I do is get it on the side and dip my fork in to get a small amount on it before taking a bite. You get the flavor but use no where near as much as if you just pour it on. I tend to use half the amount they give you.

The big thing is how much of that fat is saturated. If that number is still low, less than 25g a day, you should be ok. Oils like olive, canola have a lot of unsaturated fats that are good for you. Same for nuts, especially almonds and cashews. They're high in calories, but have a lot of the good fats. So just watch the portion size. 1oz is what I eat. It doesn't look like a lot but you'd be surprised at how it will fill you up and satiate your appetite.

I use this website a lot for tracking the nutrition of what I'm eating. http://nutritiondata.self.com/

I use Runkeeper to track my walking. It's free and very easy to use and it does a good job. It is only by GPS though. I tried one that used a pedometer too but it wasn't that good. Depending upon what type of phone you have there's plenty of other apps that do the same thing. Cardiotrainer is one a lot of friends of mine with Android phones use.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:32 PM 06-18-2011
Official weigh-in this morning was both good and bad. 229.6 which was up from earlier in the week, but per my scale, my body fat % was at 28.1, down somewhere in the mid 30's. Plus my hydration level was at 51% which is up from ~45%. So all the water intake is having it's effect and keeping me hydrated.

I did get out and put in 4.14 miles this morning. Felt good. My normal walking pace is close to a 14min mile now. The key for me is listening to faster paced songs. Keeps me going.

Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head. So I'm taking it easy the rest of the weekend and drinking plenty of fluids. Tomorrow I go clothes shopping again. Need more shorts. I"m going to be in KC this week and they let you wear shorts in the plant. Unfortunately I can't wear any of my cargo shorts for some silly reason.
[Reply]
goalie204 10:19 PM 06-18-2011
Dom, depends wht plan you're following, atkins % is 65-30-5 fat-protein-carbs, other ones are different you gotta figure it out
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:24 AM 06-19-2011
Thanks for the info fellas! :-)

Had my weigh in today.
266.4 a nice start to Fathers Day :-)
My goal of 260 on July 4th seems very attainable, and I'm happy about that!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 06:50 AM 06-19-2011
Awesome Dom. Sounds very attainable.

I feel like a yo-yo. Back down to 227.6 this morning. I need to stop the daily checks.
[Reply]
hotreds 06:55 AM 06-19-2011
Thanks for the info fellas! :-)

Had my weigh in today.
266.4 a nice start to Fathers Day :-)
My goal of 260 on July 4th seems very attainable, and I'm happy about that!
:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 06:56 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head. So I'm taking it easy the rest of the weekend and drinking plenty of fluids.
low blood sugar most likely.
[Reply]
jonumberone 06:57 AM 06-19-2011
Awesome Dom. Sounds very attainable.

I feel like a yo-yo. Back down to 227.6 this morning. I need to stop the daily checks.
I stopped doing daily checks too, If I gained a pound, I would get angry, and if I lost a pound I would get lax.
I usually check once midweek and then my official on Sunday.
Although -2 pounds overnight would probably give me a chubby :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:00 AM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:
low blood sugar most likely.
I thought that too, but took my BS reading and it was 117. I had eaten lunch a bit before so that's about right with the way my BS has been running pre/post meals.
[Reply]
guado 07:56 AM 06-19-2011
I thought i'd join in this thread. 3 weeks and 4 days ago I started my weightloss journey. I started out at 241lbs. 6'0 tall.

Today I am hovering at 218. Major diet changes, and lots of exercise. I hope to get to 215 before I start lifting weights again vs just cardio. It'll be nice to hit my high school weight 11 years after I graduated. LOL
[Reply]
jonumberone 08:00 AM 06-19-2011
Welcome Eddie.

Hoping to wear a speedo to EPIC? :-)

That's a hell of a loss for 3+ weeks.
[Reply]
guado 08:29 AM 06-19-2011
Welcome Eddie.

Hoping to wear a speedo to EPIC? :-)

That's a hell of a loss for 3+ weeks.
I pretty much did a hell week(s). :-)

And I started right before memorial day weekend. I have had no beer or alcohol since then....That is the roughest part! LOL

Its tapering now. I am only gonna be loosing about maybe 2/lbs a week now. However once I start lifting...I will be putting on weight but hopefully in the form of muscle and a lower body fat %
[Reply]
shilala 11:11 AM 06-19-2011
202.8 this morning. I had hoped to get under 200 by the weekend. It still may happen, but I'm not holding my breath.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:46 PM 06-19-2011
Awesome job Eddie. I'm hoping to start lifting once I get back in town next weekend. Too many "jiggly" parts.

You can do it Scott. I think with all the work putting that new deck, it'll help shed a couple lbs.
[Reply]
hotreds 02:53 PM 06-19-2011
I thought that too, but took my BS reading and it was 117. I had eaten lunch a bit before so that's about right with the way my BS has been running pre/post meals.
Hmm- maybe like you said it was the quick movement! Something to keep an eye on, brother!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 02:56 PM 06-19-2011
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Hmm- maybe like you said it was the quick movement! Something to keep an eye on, brother!
Yea, much better today. I think it was just all the physical excersion yesterday combined with being bent over picking weeds. When I'd stand up all the blood would rush from my head.
[Reply]
ashtonlady 05:29 PM 06-19-2011
Got the 2 lbs back off and still riding or walking every day. Working on changing the eating habits. So I am on the right track.
[Reply]
forgop 05:48 PM 06-19-2011
Weird thing happend to me today in the early afternoon. I was out weeding the garden/yard. When I'd stand up, I almost blacked out. The last time I finally called it quits after I went to my knees. I've had this happen before and it went away. Hopefully it does again, cuz it's a scary feeling. Especially when the world goes dark for a few minutes. I'm guessing it was from the blood rushing out of my head.
This is called orthostatic hypotension. It gets more common as you get older (not saying you're old) and is a typical side effect of some medications, but it's just something you need to be leery of when standing up so you don't drop. My advice-stand up slowly and maybe have something to prop yourself up against momentarily while your blood pressure stabilizes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthostatic_hypotension
[Reply]
Page 90 of 129
« First < 4080888990 9192100 > Last »
Up