Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 21
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Sports>Tom Brady
AdamJoshua 10:02 PM 05-15-2015
A Football Life on Lyle talking about the rule against throwing a helmet after having done so himself to an opponent's helmet, I suppose once was enough, nothing like ripping off someone's helmet then using it as a weapon against them. Football sucks now. :-)
[Reply]
shilala 10:11 PM 05-15-2015
Lawyers, Ads. Lawyers.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:13 PM 05-15-2015
The more they make the more their lawyers protect them, that's on both sides, the business / owners and the players / agents. Of course I mean by suing and protecting against suits, I'm sure it could be quite the 360 of bs, not to mention Little Johnny's mom suing because he saw something violent in a game on t.v. then tried it at home like a little dipship.
[Reply]
bobarian 01:15 AM 05-16-2015
Best line of the week goes to the Patriots!

"Mr. Jastremski would sometimes work out and bulk up -- he is a slender guy and his goal was to get to 200 pounds. Mr. McNally is a big fellow and had the opposite goal: to lose weight. "Deflate" was a term they used to refer to losing weight. One can specifically see this use of the term in a Nov. 30, 2014 text from Mr. McNally to Mr. Jastremski: "deflate and give somebody that jacket." (p. 87). This banter, and Mr. McNally's goal of losing weight, meant Mr. McNally was the "deflator." There was nothing complicated or sinister about it."

:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 02:43 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by bobarian:

"Mr. Jastremski would sometimes work out and bulk up -- he is a slender guy and his goal was to get to 200 pounds. Mr. McNally is a big fellow and had the opposite goal: to lose weight. "Deflate" was a term they used to refer to losing weight. One can specifically see this use of the term in a Nov. 30, 2014 text from Mr. McNally to Mr. Jastremski: "deflate and give somebody that jacket." (p. 87). This banter, and Mr. McNally's goal of losing weight, meant Mr. McNally was the "deflator." There was nothing complicated or sinister about it."

That sounds pretty weak, even to me.
[Reply]
Stephen 06:59 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
As I had written a few places before, I don't really watch much football. I'm not very familiar with that. Was it the same BS procedure? What were your thoughts on that?
Pretty much. Sean Payton (head coach of the Saints) received a one year unpaid suspension because (in the words of Goodell), "ignorance is not an excuse. You're the head coach. You should've known." Their GM was also suspended eight games, the team fined 500k, and lost two consecutive second round picks. That's not to mention the players/coaches who were directly involved.

Just be thankful Goodell isn't taking that stance this time around.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:02 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by Blueface:
That's how he greeted his very best friends. He did much worse to opposing players.:-)

On a serious and inquisitive note, why is it that in the past, Roger Goodell has been the victim of severe criticism that he is too close to the owners.
Now, that it doesn't suit an influential owner, he is biased and should recluse himself from the appeal process.
Things that make you go..........WTF???
Simple, because Goodell sucks as a Commissioner. He's got a 1st class ticket on board the gravy train, and he's done everything in his power to derail it.
[Reply]
Stephen 07:06 AM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Favre's wiener texts? Not fun?

Blasphemy.
[Reply]
icehog3 05:24 PM 05-16-2015
Nothing gets between Brett and his Wranglers...excepting the occassional camera phone.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:54 PM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by bobarian:

I take back all of my thoughts that anything against the rules was going on. I wonder if he's doing the Paleo diet?
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:17 PM 05-16-2015
Originally Posted by Stephen:
Pretty much. Sean Payton (head coach of the Saints) received a one year unpaid suspension because (in the words of Goodell), "ignorance is not an excuse. You're the head coach. You should've known." Their GM was also suspended eight games, the team fined 500k, and lost two consecutive second round picks. That's not to mention the players/coaches who were directly involved.

Just be thankful Goodell isn't taking that stance this time around.
Jesus! A friggin' year? Sounds like BS to me. Ignorance of a rule/law is no excuse but ignorance of the offense puts it beyond volition and therefore beyond guilt.
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 09:24 PM 05-16-2015
Simple, because Goodell sucks as a Commissioner. He's got a 1st class ticket on board the gravy train, and he's done everything in his power to derail it.
This, x1000. When you make Gary Bettman look competent and confident, you know you're a crappy sports commissioner.
[Reply]
E.J. 01:09 AM 05-17-2015
Funny, all the Goodell hate. He's not perfect, but he's been a windfall of $$$$ for the owners. Their net worth has increased like never before under Mr. Goodell.
[Reply]
Stephen 09:24 AM 05-17-2015
Originally Posted by E.J.:
Funny, all the Goodell hate. He's not perfect, but he's been a windfall of $$$$ for the owners. Their net worth has increased like never before under Mr. Goodell.
Which stems from TV contracts, which stems from the popularity of the sport, which stems from the rise in popularity in fantasy football, which has zilch to do with Goodell. Gregg Levy would've made a much better Commissioner.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:57 AM 05-17-2015
Which stems from TV contracts, which stems from the popularity of the sport, which stems from the rise in popularity in fantasy football, which has zilch to do with Goodell. Gregg Levy would've made a much better Commissioner.
That's actually not true at all, he's a businessman and marketer, football doesn't just shoot fireballs of money out of it's ass.
[Reply]
Blueface 10:19 AM 05-17-2015
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
That's actually not true at all, he's a businessman and marketer, football doesn't just shoot fireballs of money out of it's ass.
Like this?

[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:08 PM 05-17-2015
I wonder if those are Wranger jeans.
[Reply]
shilala 12:41 PM 05-17-2015
I still think it's a conspiracy.
[Reply]
Stephen 12:49 PM 05-17-2015
When you have television networks actively competing to televise your product, it sure as sh!t does. Why do you think DirecTV just paid $12 billion to continue to have exclusive broadcast rights to out of market games? Because otherwise nobody would use their sh!tty product. The league rolls on in spite of, not because of him.

What ingenious marketing does he do? When fantasy football became easily accessible (ie, able to be done online) and not seen in the mainstream as, "nerdy", it connected with fans on a different level that doesn't happen with the NBA/MLB/NHL. It's not a time sink, but one is still invested. Much like NCAA office pools. That happened under Tagliabue's watch, not Goodell's.
[Reply]
Stephen 12:53 PM 05-17-2015
I wonder if those are Wranger jeans.
Carhartt's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQZWcWBoyOw
[Reply]
Page 9 of 21
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Up