Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 38
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Sports>MLB 2012 Thread
kelmac07 04:56 PM 05-09-2012
I just don't understand the plunking for the sake of "welcome to the big leagues". I recall Hamels being a top prospect when he came up and also do not recall anyone hitting him. Granted, he is a pitcher...but nonetheless. I thought the whole "I meant to hit him" was complete bush league. Hamels should have kept his mouth shut and went about his business.
jonumberone 05:16 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
I just don't understand the plunking for the sake of "welcome to the big leagues". I recall Hamels being a top prospect when he came up and also do not recall anyone hitting him. Granted, he is a pitcher...but nonetheless. I thought the whole "I meant to hit him" was complete bush league. Hamels should have kept his mouth shut and went about his business.
Every rook that hits the field isn't going to get plunked, nor should they.
The whole "welcome to the big leagues" isn't meant to be taken literally.
The message is "you're in the majors now, you're not as good as everyone told you you are", it's an ego check.
Why Harper?
I can't think of a rookie that has come up with as much hype and fanfare as Harper has.
Harper handled it well, he made Hamels pay, and embarrassed him when he stole home.

I agree Hamels should've kept his mouth shut, I just don't think everyone should be acting like they're shocked, because he said he did it.
Bigwaved 08:53 PM 05-09-2012
Originally Posted by jonumberone:
While I agree Hamels is no Gibson or Drysdale, part of what made them so great was their ability to pitch inside and intimidate hitters.
That is a tool not available to today's pitchers.

They were mean, nasty, and fierce competitors.
Gibson once threw at Reggie Jackson in an old timers day.
And they always ran their mouth to the players they hit.

Here are some quotes

"I hated to bat against (Don) Drysdale. After he hit you he'd come around, look at the bruise on your arm and say, 'Do you want me to sign it?'" - Mickey Mantle

"My own little rule was two for one. If one of my teammates got knocked down, then I knocked down two on the other team." - Don Drysdale

I couldn't find any direct quotes from Gibson, but it was never a mystery as to what he did on the mound.
I think the big difference is today, Harper getting hit is a story, 50 years ago it would have only been a footnote.

I also don't see how fans aren't upset about the pitch, just what was said.
Iv'e always admired straight shooters and try not to waste my time with people who look me in the eye and lie to me. :-)
As far as today's pitchers not being able to establish the inside of the plate goes, I agree. They are not allowed to do that anymore.

Hamels did not go to Harper and ask him if he wanted an autograph after the game. He was not trying to establish the inside of the plate either. This was not a story until he ran his mouth after the game to a reporter. Before that, it was over with. He beaned the kid. He was hit on his 1st plate appearance as payback. That should have been it.
TJarv 09:02 PM 05-09-2012
Some damn good games on right now
icehog3 01:14 AM 05-10-2012
...and the Tigers bullpen gets yet another loss. :-)
kelmac07 05:05 AM 05-10-2012
Mets continue to surprise me...SWEEP the Phillies. :-) :-)
icehog3 11:43 PM 05-10-2012
Tigers beat the A's, but Brandon Inge hits his second grand slam of the week since being picked up on waivers from Detroit. Glad for him, he is a class act...and glad it wasn't enough the beat the Tigers. :-)
CigarSquid 11:45 PM 05-10-2012
Great smack. I thought they had life for a minute. I'll be there Saturday!
icehog3 11:31 PM 05-11-2012
A's pound the Tigers, and Inge hits yet another home run...a 3 run shot in the 6th. 8 RBIs for Brandon in 2 games versus his former team.
CigarSquid 07:36 AM 05-12-2012
Thank you guys for him. Hope the A's save some of it for tonight when I'm there.
icehog3 09:09 AM 05-12-2012
Originally Posted by garryyjr:
Thank you guys for him. Hope the A's save some of it for tonight when I'm there.
Though I don't like to see the Tigers lose, I am happy for Inge....he was a great "team guy" for a long time, and I hope his surge continues (well, except for tonight. :-))
CigarSquid 09:06 AM 05-13-2012
Inge is awesome. I was in the seats right behind home plate.. He acknowledged me most of the times I said something to him.. Lots of laughs and talking to people around the team. I am excited to have him on the team.

What an awesome game last night.. Great seats.
icehog3 05:19 PM 05-13-2012
Finally, Valverde and Benoit don't blow a 2 hitter by Verlander.
CRIMPS 08:15 AM 05-14-2012
Rangers didn't just beat the Angels last night... they embarrassed them. Rangers ERA against Weaver for his career is now at 5.22. They are scary good right now.
jonumberone 08:36 AM 05-14-2012
What has happened to the closers this year?
At least 6 have already lost their jobs, and it seems the box scores are just littered with blown saves.
CRIMPS 08:44 AM 05-14-2012
At least 6 have already lost their jobs, and it seems the box scores are just littered with blown saves.
Yes, tough year for Closers. I saw some stat that Bullpens have been generally bad. Not sure where I saw that, though.
Blak Smyth 08:49 AM 05-14-2012
Yah I have 5 closers on my fantasy team now, I had mid relief guys to collect holds and now they are all closing. I don't have enough RP spots available to use them all. Considering the 2 closers I drafted where either out for the season or on the DL, I got pretty lucky to have these closers. Let me know if you need one Dom, haha.
kelmac07 09:28 AM 05-14-2012
Mets never really had a closer to start the season with. :-)
jonumberone 09:46 AM 05-14-2012
Originally Posted by kelmac07:
Mets never really had a closer to start the season with. :-)
They didn't plan on having a lead after the first! :-)
357 08:39 AM 05-15-2012
Tigers blew a 5-2 lead against the White Sox. Smyly stuggled for the first time. I hope he bounces back. He's been huge so far. Fielder broke out of his slump too it seems. Still not smashing but hitting at least.

They are so frustrating. The Tigers left 13 on base. I don't know the official stats but they MUST be leading the league in total LOB for this season. They were 3 for 17 with RISP!!
Page 9 of 38
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Up