Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 17
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Sports>Who's ready for the World Cup?
TheRiddick 01:13 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
I agree that Rooney's service was terrible, but the few times he did get the ball with space his shots were just not up to what he has done for his club. Strange how club and country are so different. I also dont understand Podolski and Klose, they play so well in International play but are non factors in league.
Oh well, let's see if Argentina can hold off Mexico. Argentina/Germany would be a great matchup.
Rooney played well in the qualifying games. In his defense all I can tell you is that when you don't get service for 3 games and then fourth game starts the same way, by the time you, all of a sudden, see the ball your mind is already messed up. They only involved him for a few minutes today, again.

As for both Podolski and Klose, again bad coaching IMO. They were not allowed to play much, especially Klose and I never understood that (save for their disagreements with the coach's ego). Sure, Klose is older, but he still has world class speed and on the ball ability (as shown again today against Terry and Upson). Podolski once again showed he is better than Ribery, IMO. Germany are still viable in this WC and anyone playing against them should not underestimate them.
[Reply]
DMK 01:18 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by TheRiddick:
UNFRIGGING BELIEVABLE!!!!

Tevez non-goal now.

Why even play, let the refs decide before the game who "wins" and every one head over to the nearest pub...
If you don't like officiating, then turn off the TV... /s
[Reply]
Superbad 01:22 PM 06-27-2010
Crazy officiating at this WC!
[Reply]
TheRiddick 01:37 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by DMK:
If you don't like officiating, then turn off the TV... /s
Guess you missed prior Peter's comment to me. Do you see the /s (sarcasm) ending to my post? Read prior posts...
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:27 PM 06-27-2010
UNFRIGGING BELIEVABLE!!!!

Tevez non-goal now.

Why even play, let the refs decide before the game who "wins" and every one head over to the nearest pub...
and now I noticed the Mexican coach react to the replay on the screen, appearantly they show the replays on the screens at the stadium. That's new and against what the FIFA always preached.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 05:42 PM 06-27-2010
Ferdinand, do you really think Blatter plays by the rules? He has been a disgrace for years now with stupid ramblings and "rules". And unfortunately, he will be re-elected yet again since all the "Third World" soccer nations have him implement rules that benefit them in some way. Maybe its time for another governing body to be set up and pronto, similar to how a new European league will be sometime soon judging by how Platini is screwing up as well (a la Blatter).
[Reply]
ucla695 06:13 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by Superbad:
Crazy officiating at this WC!
That's for sure. At least the USA isn't the only one getting screwed over.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 12:36 AM 06-28-2010
Ferdinand, do you really think Blatter plays by the rules? He has been a disgrace for years now with stupid ramblings and "rules". And unfortunately, he will be re-elected yet again since all the "Third World" soccer nations have him implement rules that benefit them in some way. Maybe its time for another governing body to be set up and pronto, similar to how a new European league will be sometime soon judging by how Platini is screwing up as well (a la Blatter).
No Blatter doesn't play by the rules. If it wasn't for that corrupt old fart, we would have had electronic supports for the refs years ago. He's the one that keeps forbidding that, just like showing the images in the stadiums, that's why this surprises me a lot.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 06:59 AM 06-28-2010
http://af.reuters.com/article/sports...65R0KH20100628

Originally Posted by :
"This shouldn't happen," FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot told a news conference. "Replays can be shown but not when there are controversial situations. We will work on this and be tighter in future."

[Reply]
md4958 07:40 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
http://af.reuters.com/article/sports...65R0KH20100628
Originally Posted by :
"Replays can be shown but not when there are controversial situations.
So whats the effing point???
[Reply]
Don Fernando 08:35 AM 06-28-2010
the point is that this is proof for what I said earlier (and that the FIFA isn't following their own rules). Greg and I talked about this earlier in the topic, and this confirms what I said to Greg before.
[Reply]
md4958 08:52 AM 06-28-2010
the point is that this is proof for what I said earlier (and that the FIFA isn't following their own rules). Greg and I talked about this earlier in the topic, and this confirms what I said to Greg before.
I dont mean whats YOUR point Ferdie... I mean what is the point in having a system to review plays except the ones that need reviewing the most??

Thats like having a bathroom in your office that you can use anytime, except when you NEED it.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:59 AM 06-28-2010
Man I got a kick outa this:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVim7rjfKOQ
[Reply]
Don Fernando 09:43 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by md4958:
I dont mean whats YOUR point Ferdie... I mean what is the point in having a system to review plays except the ones that need reviewing the most??

Thats like having a bathroom in your office that you can use anytime, except when you NEED it.
ah ok, I misunderstood :-)

well, the point is that the poor countries don't want the use of electronics as they can't afford it, so Blatter buys their votes by promising that electronics won't be allowed if they vote for him, so he can maintain his position as Mafifa president.
[Reply]
bobarian 10:47 AM 06-28-2010
This is the much like the rule the NFL has regarding stadium replays. Most plays are replayed on the big screen but anything borderline controversial is not allowed. But I think this is a minor issue, showing he replay in stadium has nothing to do with implementing technology for certain situations in major competitions. If it were limited to the goal line in the WC, Euro Cup, etc, it would be helpful in settling unjust situations. I think the offside's plays would be much harder to include. :-)
[Reply]
fhrblig 11:20 AM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
This is the much like the rule the NFL has regarding stadium replays. Most plays are replayed on the big screen but anything borderline controversial is not allowed. But I think this is a minor issue, showing he replay in stadium has nothing to do with implementing technology for certain situations in major competitions. If it were limited to the goal line in the WC, Euro Cup, etc, it would be helpful in settling unjust situations. I think the offside's plays would be much harder to include. :-)
Well, the NFL breaks that rule sometimes, too. Although I admit, I kind of enjoy hearing the entire crowd react to a bad call on a replay (like the Ed Hochuli incident). Of course, in that case it helped that I'm a Broncos fan... :-)

Now that the US is out, I'm following my usual pattern of rooting for any and all underdogs. Anything that would make for an unexpected final would be nice. Go Chile!
[Reply]
mithrilG60 03:53 PM 06-28-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Man I got a kick outa this:-)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVim7rjfKOQ
Google "funny rugby commerical" for a similar take that's just as hilarious (I don't want to post it here as it'll drag the thread off topic).
[Reply]
kazzaca 08:14 PM 06-28-2010
FIFA is a joke...every other sport has evolved with the times and uses technology to prevent errors. FIFA just says 'even with technology mistakes are made' and uses that as an excuse to not do anything about it.

Thankfully the games today weren't ruined by any big mistakes.

Portugal v Spain tomorrow should be a good one!
[Reply]
Don Fernando 02:25 AM 06-29-2010
The Netherlands game wasn't ruined, but with the use of footage that penalty would never have been given.
[Reply]
TheRiddick 11:03 AM 06-29-2010
Ferdinand, latest BS from FIFA is that supposedly and according to them, it is up to local soccer organization to be in charge of Jumbotrons during games, thus, FIFA's excuse is that SA organizers "broke" the rule. I did not argue with you rpoint about the rule, simply pointed out that replays were being shown, rules or no rules. No issue on my side.

What I find really appalling, though, is FIFA's latest stance on the England and Mexican (especially Tevez's replay) non-calls. FIFA stated there are sorry the replays were shown, but then in that same statement did not offer any apology for the mistakes themselves.

Blatter is being re-elected time and again by all the third world leagues, for obvious reasons. As I discussed with another local yesterday, the entire WC format must change. Why are teams such as North Korea playing while those from, say, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Romania and a number of others stay home? Why I am watching New Zealand play when I know Sweden will play a MUCH better game? FIFA needs to use world rankings a few months prior to WC and Top 32 teams are allowed to play in the tournament. No more "weak" teams. Same for refs, select top ones, Colina should have stayed eligible for as long as he is fit, best ref I have seen ever. I am over 50 now, but still keep up with young bucks indoors and out, why are refs limited to 45 YO? Stupid decision, IMO. Do you think Colina would have allowed these goals to stand?

Arghhh...
[Reply]
Page 9 of 17
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Up