Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 54
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
General Discussion>iphone 4 just announced.
newcigarz 03:39 AM 06-08-2010
pretty good comparison chart done by PCWorld. hopefully we can stay on track today. :-)

[Reply]
longknocker 04:16 AM 06-08-2010
Thanks, Tony!:-):-)
[Reply]
longknocker 04:24 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Those are from dropping it on the edges, it applies much more force to a smaller area. I've had friends that were unlucky enough to drop theirs right on the corner and completely spiderweb the screen and it's still been completely usable. I've also seen Blackberry's, including most of the work units at my office, that have stood up far worst to much less abuse and look like total ass within 6 months of being issued.

It's all in how well you take care of your stuff. If you were one of the kids on teh playground that was always abusing their toys and breaking them then any smartphone is probably not the best purchase decision. If you're careful with it, especially if you buy a case, your iPhone will look exactly the same in a couple years as it does the day it comes out of the box.
"Otter Box"! Virtually Indestructable!:-)
[Reply]
The Professor 05:42 AM 06-08-2010
PC market I can't see, Mac's are simply too expensive for most people to buy as the cheap commodity the average consumer expects a computer to be now. Mac's will always be a niche market primarily targeted at graphic and video industry professionals and urbanite wannabee's with too much money looking for the "in" fashion accessory.
Whether you see it or not, it's happening. It's exactly this attitude that hurting PC makers and Microsoft, for that matter. You're stuck with a *very* outdated view of Macs that simply doesn't fit the reality of the current situation. Furthermore, you're stuck with some bad math that doesn't really take software and user productivity into consideration. There's very good evidence out there to show that iPods and iPhones have become the Mac gateway drug: average people use them, like them, and then check out the computer and have the same experience. That's been the case for more than a dozen of my friends and, as of this new buying cycle, just about every colleague in my department (they're nearly all replacing their Dells with Macs ... and we are a Dell campus in significant ways).

Anyway, I don't even know why I feel compelled to rehash an argument that's been going on for a couple of decades and is totally outmoded. Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.
[Reply]
Blueface 06:12 AM 06-08-2010
PC market I can't see, Mac's are simply too expensive for most people to buy as the cheap commodity the average consumer expects a computer to be now. Mac's will always be a niche market primarily targeted at graphic and video industry professionals and urbanite wannabee's with too much money looking for the "in" fashion accessory.
Ignorance.
Not trying to be offensive at all so please don't anyone take it that way.
Just using the word as described in the dictionary - lack of knowledge.
I think it is ignorant to assume this.
I bought my MacBook because of ease of use, features, reliability, lack of viruses which I was tired of getting on my PC.
I have yet to pay it off over two years later (same as cash for 36 mths) so certainly had nothing to do with having too much money on my hands.
As far as an "urbanite" wanna be, by definition, since I actually live in a "city", I don't need to be a wannabe.
As far as fashion, yeah, guilty. I like being fashionable. I like toys. I like my BMW, my Rolex, and nice clothing. Doesn't make me a bad person or even a murderer.

Originally Posted by The Professor:
Whether you see it or not, it's happening. It's exactly this attitude that hurting PC makers and Microsoft, for that matter. You're stuck with a *very* outdated view of Macs that simply doesn't fit the reality of the current situation. Furthermore, you're stuck with some bad math that doesn't really take software and user productivity into consideration. There's very good evidence out there to show that iPods and iPhones have become the Mac gateway drug: average people use them, like them, and then check out the computer and have the same experience. That's been the case for more than a dozen of my friends and, as of this new buying cycle, just about every colleague in my department (they're nearly all replacing their Dells with Macs ... and we are a Dell campus in significant ways).

Anyway, I don't even know why I feel compelled to rehash an argument that's been going on for a couple of decades and is totally outmoded. Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.
:-)
[Reply]
Kreth 06:17 AM 06-08-2010
Some people just "can't see" ... but I think that's mainly because they refuse to open their eyes.
Coming soon to a Starbucks near you:
Originally Posted by :
Steve Jobs guide us. Steve Jobs teach us. Steve Jobs protect us. In your iLight we thrive. In your iMercy we are sheltered. In your iWisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our iLives are yours.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blueface 06:31 AM 06-08-2010
Steve Jobs guide us. Steve Jobs teach us. Steve Jobs protect us. In your iLight we thrive. In your iMercy we are sheltered. In your iWisdom we are humbled. We live only to serve. Our iLives are yours.

I am always truly and genuinely fascinated by human behavior. Aside from being a frustrated attorney wanna be, I think I am frustrated shrink wanna be.

I truly can't comprehend what drives human behavior to feel compelled to criticize or attack what someone else likes if it does not conform with what one likes.

This Mac/PC debate is as silly as what topping is best on pizza. Who gives a rat's ass? It is what ever you feel like putting on it that you like.

My neighbor across the street lives in the same type of home I have, same street, same Boca Raton. I drive a BMW 330CI while he drives a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Who is PC and who is Mac here? Who cares? It is all about what makes him happy and what makes me happy. I couldn't give a crap if he sells tickets to bang his wife.

If I enjoy Apple products, I am a brainless Steve Jobs follower? That crap is offensive and I truly think folks should sometimes shove their opinions where the sun doesn't shine when not asked.
[Reply]
The Professor 06:33 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Coming soon to a Starbucks near you:

Posted via Mobile Device
Yeah yeah ... Jobs is a messianic figure. Again -- rehashed, old joke. I don't worship him. The company he's built and the vision he's offered, though, has fundamentally changed the world of computing and electronics more than once. The difference in today's world, however, is that *Apple* is actually benefiting from those advancements, unlike the old days when others (like Microsoft) would rip off the ideas and prosper at the expense of Apple.
[Reply]
Kreth 06:39 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Blueface:
I truly can't comprehend what drives human behavior to feel compelled to criticize or attack what someone else likes if it does not conform with what one likes.
Just having a little fun with the pro-Apple attitude that the rest of us don't get it. Glad you felt the need to lash out, though...
Originally Posted by :
...and I truly think folks should sometimes shove their opinions where the sun doesn't shine when not asked.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Blueface 06:48 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Kreth:
Just having a little fun with the pro-Apple attitude that the rest of us don't get it. Glad you felt the need to lash out, though...

Posted via Mobile Device
It wears thin after a while to basically be called a moron in so many words because of what your preferences are.
If I corner a rat, I can only expect he will attack to defend himself. I think if folks dish out insults, one can only expect some sort of retaliation at some point.
[Reply]
poker 07:26 AM 06-08-2010
ok ok enough of the crap throwing. If you like Apple products, buy them. If you dont, move along.
[Reply]
newcigarz 07:33 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by poker:
ok ok enough of the crap throwing. If you like Apple products, buy them. If you dont, move along.
words of wisdom. :-)
[Reply]
newcigarz 07:34 AM 06-08-2010
I really can not wait to get one in my hands. that screen is going to be incredible. :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 07:48 AM 06-08-2010

My neighbor across the street lives in the same type of home I have, same street, same Boca Raton. I drive a BMW 330CI while he drives a 10 year old Toyota Corolla. Who is PC and who is Mac here? Who cares? It is all about what makes him happy and what makes me happy. I couldn't give a crap if he sells tickets to bang his wife.
Is she hot? :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 07:58 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Is she hot? :-)
So, so.
Tickets will definitely be reasonably priced.:-)
[Reply]
Blueface 07:59 AM 06-08-2010
Originally Posted by newcigarz:
I really can not wait to get one in my hands. that screen is going to be incredible. :-)
6/15 is on my calendar with an appointment to visit the Town Center Mall.
[Reply]
newcigarz 08:07 AM 06-08-2010
6/15 is on my calendar with an appointment to visit the Town Center Mall.
We should schedule some "Facetime". :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 08:25 AM 06-08-2010
Oh crap!!!

Tony,
Totally forgot.
Will be in Long Island the week of 6/14 on business.
Will have to pre-order online, unless there is an Apple store near my hotel out there.
[Reply]
The Professor 08:33 AM 06-08-2010
Can I schedule some when I get my first ever iPhone? :-)

I've got the DrMS talked into it. The only question is *when* we're gonna do it. End of the month (26th) is the earliest possible given the ETF we'll have to eat for her line.
[Reply]
Blueface 09:46 AM 06-08-2010
Can I schedule some when I get my first ever iPhone? :-)

I've got the DrMS talked into it. The only question is *when* we're gonna do it. End of the month (26th) is the earliest possible given the ETF we'll have to eat for her line.
Funny you say that.
My wife normally just wants an old fashioned cell phone (flip phone if possible) and nothing else and is now intrigued by this feature.
She may not settle for my 3G hand me down and may want one of her own from the sounds of it.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 54
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Up