Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 14
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>iPhone Cigar App ... need beta testers
Blueface 09:43 AM 03-15-2009
This is too cool.
Can't believe I didn't see this thread until now.
Can't wait for the application to become available.
[Reply]
mkr160 10:35 AM 03-15-2009
Ken do you think you will submit the app to apple this week? I cant wait to try it on my iphone. Best of luck with the process.
[Reply]
King James 10:38 AM 03-15-2009
Idea for how to connect w/ cigar asylum:

In the notes area perhaps making a button to "publish review" and have it make a new thread in the review section here at CA. Only problem that I can think of is for people who purchase the app not a member at CA....although maybe it would draw in new members?
[Reply]
KenS 11:47 AM 03-15-2009
Originally Posted by mkr160:
Ken do you think you will submit the app to apple this week? I cant wait to try it on my iphone. Best of luck with the process.
I sure hope so. Two major things keeping me from finishing:

Expect to get beta 3 out for final testing in the next day or so, and plan to submit to apple by end of this week :-)
[Reply]
KenS 11:58 AM 03-15-2009
Something else added new for beta 3...

Since it now shows length and ring gauge on the cigar listing screen, you can now sort by name, length or ring gauge. It looks like this. The second screenshot show the interface that slides up onto the screen when you touch the "Sort List ..." button.

Image Image

And here's the updated listing:

Just thought I'd let you know :-)
[Reply]
King James 12:18 PM 03-15-2009
sweet! :-)

that add cigar button on the reference page is nice too
[Reply]
danc 02:55 PM 03-15-2009
Originally Posted by DPD6030:
Obvious you registered to post in this forum.

Ken, it's your baby IMO I would not share this as it would open up to other things and you would not get the kickback you may be looking for. :-) I'd hate for someone to steal the hard work that you did and claim it as their own. :-)
Yes, obvious, since it's required. :-)

There's no need to imply anything. I'm a WM user, and a cigar smoker. I have references on this board if I need them, though they probably don't know who I am right now heh. I think it'd be a cool thing to collaborate this project with someone to get it out there for the millions (yes, millions) who use Windows Mobile. I also think I'd use the heck out of it personally. Seems like a great app, that's all.
[Reply]
DPD6030 03:09 PM 03-15-2009
Originally Posted by danc:

There's no need to imply anything. I'm a WM user, and a cigar smoker. I have references on this board if I need them, though they probably don't know who I am right now heh. I think it'd be a cool thing to collaborate this project with someone to get it out there for the millions (yes, millions) who use Windows Mobile. I also think I'd use the heck out of it personally. Seems like a great app, that's all.
Sorry if you thought I implied that you might steal it. I know Ken was just fooling around with this at one point and poof now he spends all his spare time coding! He was even going to code at our weekly herf meeting. My post was my opinion leaving it ultimately up to Ken to decide the when and if parts. :-)
[Reply]
KenS 03:10 PM 03-15-2009
Originally Posted by danc:

danc,

No harm, no foul, and I don't blame you for asking. The reality is that somebody with knowledge of how to develop for Windows Mobile could quite easily borrow ideas from this app to code for wm. They could also fairly easily capture the data from this app if they had an iPhone or knew somebody who did.

The other reality is that the programming model for iPhone vs. Win Mobile is quite different, so it would be tough to actually leverage the code itself. That said, if a developer were to ask me about collaboration, it would be a low priority for me given the ideas I have to continue to develop the next version of Mobile Stogie, and I have a real job so this is just a (very time consuming) hobby for me. So they'd mostly be on their own.

I put a copyright notice on the app to protect myself, but I don't have a cadre of lawyers to pursue somebody copying it on the wm platform. I also wouldn't want to prevent fellow BOTL's from having a nice app for their wm devices if somebody took up that effort.

Bottom line is that it's tough to get too excited about a hypothetical situation. If somebody reaches out to me with real coding questions, I'd do what I could, but it probably wouldn't be much, given my time constraints.

Again, no harm, no foul :-)
[Reply]
danc 03:18 PM 03-15-2009
All good :-)
[Reply]
KenS 06:32 AM 03-16-2009
Need more feedback today :-)

As I build out the NC database content, it is becoming clear that I need to add a "Sub-brand" or "Line" field for many of the NC brands. For example, if I add Gurkha to the current database, I would have a separate "brand" for Gurkha Grand Reserve, Gurkha Legend, Gurkha Master Select, etc.

I'm thinking of adding a Sub-Brand field so that the brand is Gurkha, and then have a drilldown from Gurkha to a page showing the sub-brands of Grand Reserve, Legend, Master Select, etc. The same is true of Rocky Patel, Oliva, JPG and others.

The trick will become handling the situation where there is NOT a sub-brand for a given brand, or where sub-brand is not filled in for SOME of a particular brand, but is filled in for others.

How should the drilldown work?
Thoughts anybody??
[Reply]
King James 06:39 AM 03-16-2009
Is there any way after the release for people to submit their cigar database (if they add things) to you to add to the main database for when you update?
[Reply]
KenS 06:50 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Is there any way after the release for people to submit their cigar database (if they add things) to you to add to the main database for when you update?
Not sure how the update process will work yet. I'm thinking of a synchronization process that allows somebody to retrieve updates automatically, but I haven't designed this yet. It would have to be "non-destructive" for cigars that somebody has entered into his/her own app, so some matching process needs to be designed. I'm working on it :-)

As for sending their changes in, I think the concern about getting garbage data, incomplete data, overwriting existing cigars, even malicious updates will prevent this from being a reasonable approach.
[Reply]
King James 06:52 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by KenS:
As for sending their changes in, I think the concern about getting garbage data, incomplete data, overwriting existing cigars, even malicious updates will prevent this from being a reasonable approach.
I guess yeah. Unless there was a way to filter it but even then might not be worth the hours to do it
[Reply]
jovenhut 07:55 AM 03-16-2009
Ken

thanks for writing this program as its a great service to any CA member.

side note. any way to write an app so you can read CA easier on your Iphone?
[Reply]
King James 08:16 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by jovenhut:
Ken

thanks for writing this program as its a great service to any CA member.

side note. any way to write an app so you can read CA easier on your Iphone?
www.m.cigarasylum.com :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
KenS 09:20 AM 03-16-2009
Originally Posted by KenS:
Need more feedback today :-)

As I build out the NC database content, it is becoming clear that I need to add a "Sub-brand" or "Line" field for many of the NC brands. For example, if I add Gurkha to the current database, I would have a separate "brand" for Gurkha Grand Reserve, Gurkha Legend, Gurkha Master Select, etc.

I'm thinking of adding a Sub-Brand field so that the brand is Gurkha, and then have a drilldown from Gurkha to a page showing the sub-brands of Grand Reserve, Legend, Master Select, etc. The same is true of Rocky Patel, Oliva, JPG and others.

The trick will become handling the situation where there is NOT a sub-brand for a given brand, or where sub-brand is not filled in for SOME of a particular brand, but is filled in for others.

How should the drilldown work?
Thoughts anybody??
Asking the question in a simpler way: Do you consider Gurkha Grand Reserve, Gurkha Legend, Gurkha Master Select, etc. to be unique "Brands" (and therefore would count in the home screen count of "xxx Brands"), or do you consider those as all being "Gurkha" brand, and would only count once on that screen? I'm referring to this screen:
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 10:36 AM 03-16-2009
No, they are all Gurkhas and should be under one brand with sub brands.
[Reply]
Cyclone 10:46 AM 03-16-2009
I've just run across this thread.

Very slick, Ken...

Congrats for the all the hard work...

As much as I hate iToys... this may swing me over... :-) :-)
[Reply]
DPD6030 11:06 AM 03-16-2009
Gurkha one brand and put the others in unique cigars
[Reply]
Page 9 of 14
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Up