Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 45
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
All Cigar Discussion>stirring the pot local B&M vs big internet
Genetic Defect 10:31 PM 02-26-2009
wow! Tab was a coke product. didn't know that. :-)
Raralith 11:18 PM 02-26-2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_experiment

Read the description for "Double-blind trails."
Hardcz 05:31 AM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by Raralith:

We're going to be like cigar aficianado!
icehog3 08:30 AM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by Raralith:

Are those for visually challenged hikers? :-)
pmp 08:38 AM 02-27-2009
Your differentiation between smoke shop and b&m is sort of muddled. By your logic most shops out there would fall under both categories depending on what brand you are referring to. Padron, Ashton, Fuente, etc...all require a certain intial box purchase followed up with a certain number of facings to become an authorized dealer. This binds you to their recommended MSRP and allows you to obtain alloted cigars In fact most cigar companies do. Unless you have a warehouse you can't really hope to become authorize for all non cuban cigars out there.

Just my .02, its not as black and white as you are making it out to be. I will say that I have noticed... and this is totally anecdotal. I have run across a few reps, Torano's come to mind, that carry cello wrapped sample packs for giving out at shops. To me these ALWAYS smoke better than the boxed counterparts....

not sure if its in my head. Maybe I'm just stoked to be smoking a free cigar. Maybe there is something to that.
Starscream 10:52 AM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by pmp:
Your differentiation between smoke shop and b&m is sort of muddled. By your logic most shops out there would fall under both categories depending on what brand you are referring to. Padron, Ashton, Fuente, etc...all require a certain intial box purchase followed up with a certain number of facings to become an authorized dealer. This binds you to their recommended MSRP and allows you to obtain alloted cigars In fact most cigar companies do. Unless you have a warehouse you can't really hope to become authorize for all non cuban cigars out there.

Just my .02, its not as black and white as you are making it out to be. I will say that I have noticed... and this is totally anecdotal. I have run across a few reps, Torano's come to mind, that carry cello wrapped sample packs for giving out at shops. To me these ALWAYS smoke better than the boxed counterparts....

not sure if its in my head. Maybe I'm just stoked to be smoking a free cigar. Maybe there is something to that.
I'm not organizing this trial, but let's just say that CI, JR, and Holts are the internet retailers (even if they do have B&Ms). All of the mom and pop B&Ms, and even places like the Tinderbox we will consider B&Ms (for this test purpose only, if it even is a test). I know that leaves out a lot of other places, but those are the two extremes.
Genetic Defect 12:03 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Are those for visually challenged hikers? :-)
blind leading the blind? :-)
Legend 04:30 PM 02-27-2009
Originally Posted by pmp:

Interesting observation. Maybe a Good B&M Owner knows how to get more of these Sticks!! Who knows?!
pmp 12:52 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
Interesting observation. Maybe a Good B&M Owner knows how to get more of these Sticks!! Who knows?!
From what I have heard, and I'm sure this differs from company to company but I don't think the reps are supposed to leave those with the shop. That said I have yet to leave a smoker where the rep didn't give a good portion of the remaining samples to the shop.

I'm sure we have some reps that frequent here. Maybe they could chime in.
ahc4353 07:56 AM 02-28-2009
I'll ask again.

Originally Posted by ahc4353:
Question for the OP. Are any other guys that hang out with you at your Lounge members of CA? I would like to read their thoughts. Please link me if I missed their input.

Thanks

CoventryCat86 08:00 AM 02-28-2009
I don't think there is any such difference between what you call "internet cigars" and "local B&M." There's just simply no way they can be segregated from one another during the distribution process.
tedrodgerscpa 09:05 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by SeanGAR:
I don't know how to run the statistics on that type of experimental design. Anybody???
Originally Posted by jkim05:
SPSS Analysis? lol.
Originally Posted by mithrilG60:
Nah, go old school....... miniTab.
SPSS is for girls....

SAS is the bomb

Don't you need those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in order to run miniTab?!?
WildBlueSooner 09:14 AM 02-28-2009
Everyday I pray that this thread will not have any new posts that I have to read and everyday there are more. Damn it people! :-)
mithrilG60 11:55 AM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by tedrodgerscpa:
Don't you need those 5 1/4 inch floppy disks in order to run miniTab?!?
Pretty sure I used 3.5' floppy's for it in uni, that was also 12 or 13 years ago but I'm sure that 5.25" floppy's were dead antiques even then :-) Thankfully I haven't had to do any statistical analysis since I finished that course......
Totemic 12:19 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by CoventryCat86:
I don't think there is any such difference between what you call "internet cigars" and "local B&M." There's just simply no way they can be segregated from one another during the distribution process.
Indeed.
Considering there are so many other factors that can influence the flavor of a given cigar, it seems like an unlikely stretch to imply there's a conspiracy on the part of the manufacturer to supply B&Ms with "good cigars" vs. internet distributors with "bad cigars".

Following Occam's razor, it's probably as simple as: B&M cigars are either aged longer and/or stored in a more consistent environment than some internet cigar distributors (I suspect it's just a bit more aged since my B&M rarely move large amounts of cigars--I think the Oliva V's they got in about 6+ months ago are still sitting on their shelves).

I personally, have not noticed any difference in the flavor. And since these days I tend to gravitate to the same half dozen or so blends, I've been mixing various cigars from both my B&M and those I purchased online. For instance, my stash of Oliva V torps consist of about 2 boxes worth of cigars. I have one full box that I got from an online distributor and the rest are a mix of Vs from online and those I bought from my B&M when almost none of the online vendors had them in stock.

Ditto with my Oliva Gs, DPGs, Padrons, and Ashtons. I don't even think about where the cigars came from, just how long it's been in my humidor--I ususally try to grab the oldest first.
Totemic 12:20 PM 02-28-2009
Pretty sure I used 3.5' floppy's for it in uni, that was also 12 or 13 years ago but I'm sure that 5.25" floppy's were dead antiques even then :-) Thankfully I haven't had to do any statistical analysis since I finished that course......
Damn youngsters..
I'm old enough to know what a 8" floppy disk looks like. I'm also old enough to know that if you have a hole puncher, you just turned all those single sided floppy disks into double sided floppies with twice the storage!
Genetic Defect 12:28 PM 02-28-2009
not in '93
TheRiddick 12:41 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Totemic:
Damn youngsters..
I'm old enough to know what a 8" floppy disk looks like. I'm also old enough to know that if you have a hole puncher, you just turned all those single sided floppy disks into double sided floppies with twice the storage!
My first job programming job I had to use keypunch machines/cards, floppies appeared years later with first PCs. Or maybe with PDP 10/11?
Legend 02:26 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by ahc4353:
I'll ask again.
Members of my lounge here? Not that I know of. Savor the stick went to the lounge a few times but has since relocated to orange county and never took part in any tests. Probably my fault. I haven't really shared the asylum with the botl there. However, this notion actually came from the guys there who had gone on trips to Honduras and the Dominican. I'll be on the next trip to Nicaragua in may. We will be guests of don pepin Garcia. I'll ask him directly and tell you what he says.
md4958 02:40 PM 02-28-2009
Originally Posted by Legend:
We will be guests of don pepin Garcia. I'll ask him directly and tell you what he says.
Its ok, I'll ask Don Pepin when hes at Habana Premium in Albany, NY on May 4th, and report back :-)
Page 9 of 45
« First < 789 101119 > Last »
Up