Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 9 of 16
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
General Discussion>Buying a new laptop- Apple?
Footbag 04:23 PM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by shilala:
How bout a link to the machine you've chosen so we can pick that apart?
That'll be fun. :-)
:-):-)
[Reply]
shilala 04:29 PM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by macpappy:
(Side note: Does anyone else remember working an a TRS-80?)
In the 80's, one guy, Steve Jobs designed the machine, built the machine, and wrote the OS for Apple. It was not rocket surgery.
BASIC was open source. There was no graphics support.
I coded the graphics support for BASIC so I could create an interactive book that worked just like you'd read a book on a Kindle nowadays.
It was on Marine Biolgy.
I also coded music to make singing Christmas Cards that astounded people. MIDI was already there, just no BASIC support, so I coded it.
I won all sorts of accolades, and got four periods a day in middle school and high school to do genius stuff. So I did.
I smoked lots of dope, drank tons of beer, and played Galaga at Sheetz while I was supposed to be doing brilliant things.
It was awesome.
[Reply]
Blueface 05:02 PM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by Footbag:

IT has been my experience that waiting for the next best thing in computers is futile.
:-)

Most prophetic words in this thread.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 05:57 PM 12-23-2009
http://store.apple.com/us/configure/...co=MTM3NDczMDg

I know waiting is dumb as technology is dated shortly after you purchase anyway but 3.0 USB to me would make a huge difference. I thought it was supposed to come out around now?
[Reply]
GreekGodX 05:58 PM 12-23-2009
That link didn't save my configured laptop but i added the 7200RPM 320gb hdd. Antiglare screen, iWork, Aperture and the applecare.
[Reply]
King James 06:03 PM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
That link didn't save my configured laptop but i added the 7200RPM 320gb hdd. Antiglare screen, iWork, Aperture and the applecare.
how much is the HDD? you can probably get one 3rd party and install yourself for alot less.... it isn't that hard to do either. They made it harder with the unibody macs compared to the old ones, but still is fairly easy. Applecare is a must (ask Carlos! hahaha, although I think he may just use bestbuy warranty)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:04 PM 12-23-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
how much is the HDD? you can probably get one 3rd party and install yourself for alot less.... it isn't that hard to do either. They made it harder with the unibody macs compared to the old ones, but still is fairly easy. Applecare is a must (ask Carlos! hahaha, although I think he may just use bestbuy warranty)
That's all I need. Open up my laptop to save some money on a hdd and f everything up. 50 bucks for the upgraded hdd..

Wish applecare covered accidental damage. Used that a few times on my Dell :-)
[Reply]
King James 06:08 PM 12-23-2009
there is always the "it just stopped working" defense.... actually works quite well at Apple. hah
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:10 PM 12-23-2009
there is always the "it just stopped working" defense.... actually works quite well at Apple. hah
That works until you use your laptop after taking a shower and not drying off good enough :-)
[Reply]
King James 06:24 PM 12-23-2009
well dont do a hdd swap in the shower and you should be good :-)
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:26 PM 12-23-2009
well dont do a hdd swap in the shower and you should be good :-)
Wise words :-)
[Reply]
replicant_argent 06:27 PM 12-23-2009
wait.. I can use my ....

nevermind.
[Reply]
macpappy 06:15 AM 12-24-2009
In the 80's, one guy, Steve Jobs designed the machine, built the machine, and wrote the OS for Apple. It was not rocket surgery.
BASIC was open source. There was no graphics support.
I coded the graphics support for BASIC so I could create an interactive book that worked just like you'd read a book on a Kindle nowadays.
It was on Marine Biolgy.
I also coded music to make singing Christmas Cards that astounded people. MIDI was already there, just no BASIC support, so I coded it.
I won all sorts of accolades, and got four periods a day in middle school and high school to do genius stuff. So I did.
I smoked lots of dope, drank tons of beer, and played Galaga at Sheetz while I was supposed to be doing brilliant things.
It was awesome.
And all this time I thought the TRS-80 was made by Tandy/Texas Instruments.
[Reply]
goalie204 08:19 AM 12-24-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
That's all I need. Open up my laptop to save some money on a hdd and f everything up. 50 bucks for the upgraded hdd..

Wish applecare covered accidental damage. Used that a few times on my Dell :-)
Installing a new hd is extremely easy, but if you're not someone who takes computers apart, don't bother. A 3rd party one is much less than the one apple will sell you. Now stop dragging this out and just buy it and lock/delete the thread, kthx :-)
[Reply]
Footbag 10:54 AM 12-24-2009
You would get much better performance from an SSD over a HDD. HDD's are the current weak link in computer hardware. SSD's while still new and expensive are very fast. I'm picking one up right after Christmas. Hopefully the Intel's will get a price drop, or I'll get a gift card.

In looking at your build, it looks like you are spending $2500+. Wow! I knew Macs were expensive, but I honestly had no idea they were that expensive.
[Reply]
T.G 11:35 AM 12-24-2009
IIRC, that was Wozniak, not Jobs. Jobs was more of the marketing type.
[Reply]
goalie204 01:17 PM 12-24-2009
You would get much better performance from an SSD over a HDD. HDD's are the current weak link in computer hardware. SSD's while still new and expensive are very fast. I'm picking one up right after Christmas. Hopefully the Intel's will get a price drop, or I'll get a gift card.

In looking at your build, it looks like you are spending $2500+. Wow! I knew Macs were expensive, but I honestly had no idea they were that expensive.
Solid state drives are great, and fast, but the size of drive you get for the money isn't worth it..yet. In time they'll come down in price, but for now, it's more economical to get a normal hard drive, which are still great, just not the latest and the greatest.
[Reply]
Footbag 01:34 PM 12-24-2009
Originally Posted by goalie204:
Solid state drives are great, and fast, but the size of drive you get for the money isn't worth it..yet. In time they'll come down in price, but for now, it's more economical to get a normal hard drive, which are still great, just not the latest and the greatest.
Perhaps for the OP's macbook, but after the initial outlay, it's really not that much for the gain. You would have to settle for 128GB or pay a lot more for the large drive which probably isn't worth it. Yes they will be better in the future, but as I said before waiting for technology is futile.

I just built up an overclocked i7 photo-processing rig, and there is no better component to look for a performance gain. I'm considering going dual 80GB for my rig. Dual OS boot with a switch on the case and enough space on each drive for programs.

That said, 95% of users probably wouldn't notice the difference.
[Reply]
goalie204 06:53 PM 12-24-2009
That said, 95% of users probably wouldn't notice the difference.
exactly.
[Reply]
shilala 05:33 AM 12-25-2009
Originally Posted by T.G:
IIRC, that was Wozniak, not Jobs. Jobs was more of the marketing type.
You're right, it was Woz. Jobs left in 80-something then came back later.
Jobs sold the Apple to a shop, then he and Woz and a few other dudes cranked out 50 machines to fill their first order.
[Reply]
Page 9 of 16
« First < 789 1011 > Last »
Up