Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 86 of 351
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Wine, Beer, and Spirits>What beers are you enjoying?
ChicagoWhiteSox 08:25 PM 02-16-2010
Originally Posted by cre8v1:
Enjoying a couple this evening. I love this stuff! I can't rember if it was jbailey or the Dakotan that brought it to the Shack but whoever it was, thanks for turning me on to this!!
:-)
cre8v1 10:35 PM 02-16-2010
My haul from today:

The growler is Southern Tier Phin & Matt's Ale and the Double Dead Guy is 2008. Looking forward to trying these!
Jbailey 10:58 PM 02-16-2010
Enjoying a couple this evening. I love this stuff! I can't rember if it was jbailey or the Dakotan that brought it to the Shack but whoever it was, thanks for turning me on to this!!
I think I also brought Ale Asylum Triple Nova, New Glarus Black Wheat, Black Boss Porter and something else.

Glad you found a favorite Brad.
smokeyandthebandit05 12:11 AM 02-17-2010
I saw the 4 pack crimean idk how to spell it (second from the left) but Im wondering how it is. Im always wanting to trying something new
cre8v1 10:29 AM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by smokeyandthebandit05:
I saw the 4 pack crimean idk how to spell it (second from the left) but Im wondering how it is. Im always wanting to trying something new
I'll let you know tomorrow. We'll test it out at the W.H.A.T! :-)
BlackDog 03:07 PM 02-17-2010
That is Founders Curmudgeon, an "Old Ale."
e36bt 03:31 PM 02-17-2010
Turbodog by Abita Ales
Sauer Grapes 05:21 PM 02-17-2010
Founders Curmudgeon... one of the nastiest beers I've ever had.
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:22 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Founders Curmudgeon... one of the nastiest beers I've ever had.

Could you explain what was nasty about it?
Sauer Grapes 05:39 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:

Could you explain what was nasty about it?
Gladly... The taste. :-)

It's been over a year since I had it, but I remember it just having a very unpleasant taste. I'd say it tastes like old socks and bad whiskey.

FWIW, I agree with the people here that gave it low reviews. http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile...rt=low&start=0

I generally like Founders, but they missed on this one as far as I am concerned. I think most the people who rated it high just did so because they're afraid to say a Founders creation tastes like crap.
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:44 PM 02-17-2010
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Gladly... The taste. :-)

It's been over a year since I had it, but I remember it just having a very unpleasant taste. I'd say it tastes like old socks and bad whiskey.

I might have to try it then:-)

Seriously though, it sounds good from what I read. Think classic sea fairing ports, local pubs, and weathered old fisherman. This old ale is brewed with molasses and an insane focus on the malt bill, then aged in oak. The result is a strong, rich, malty-delight that’s deceptively smooth and drinkable.
NCRadioMan 10:03 PM 02-17-2010
I'll let you know tomorrow. We'll test it out at the W.H.A.T! :-)
Now your talking! I'll bring a few as well! I picked up some DDG 2009 along with some more Founders Double Trouble, Hop Stoopid, DFH Black & Blue, Racer 5 IPA and some SN Stout.

Been enjoying a few DFH 60 Min IPA's this evening. :-)
snowboardin58 11:11 PM 02-17-2010
My haul from today:

The growler is Southern Tier Phin & Matt's Ale and the Double Dead Guy is 2008. Looking forward to trying these!
This is my first post and its because I wanted to make sure you knew why those 4-packs of Founders differed.. those two with similar packaging are in the packaging format that is only 1.5-2.5 yrs old. That Curmudgeon is in the old style packaging, and should have aged VERY well! consider yourself lucky. I would easily trade a 4-pack of the current stuff(which I LOVE) for 2 bottles of those!(since I turned 21 in May and I like to try aged beers.. but havn't been able to freely buy until recently!) I found Founders Pale Ale in a 6-pack old packaging at CVS here in East Lansing and got one... the other was gone when I went back but I'll bet the distributor took it back or something. That beer was fantastic, and generally Pale Ales aren't renowned for aging!

Sorry for the ramble. I am from the Grand Rapids area and I will say that they do a Maple Bourbon Barrel aged old ale which is a favorite of many and absolutely fantastic. Black Biscuit. They JUST ran out the other day. Anyways, enjoy the Curmudgeon and other beers in your haul!
snowboardin58 11:16 PM 02-17-2010
Also, if you come across some Founders Nemesis, by ALL MEANS, pick it up! Most places only an hour from GR got about 1 case max. Some bigger retailers received 2. limits were usually 1-2 bottles. I screwed myself and didn't buy a case at Founders when I had the chance. It has very very high ratings but cannot be a long-time top 10 beer like other Founders brews because the recipe changes annually and is only brewed that one time. Even though the reviews are very good, people seem to unanimously agree, myself included, that it can get EVEN BETTER! It is a little boozy, but then again, it is a maple bourbon barrel aged wheat wine. The value of this beer will be probably over $30/bottle to many by fall. Probably over $50 by December 2011 when 2011 Nemesis is released. It is VERY limited and I am scavenging to get my hands on more.. I picked up a single bottle yesterday.
Cerius 06:28 PM 02-18-2010
Breaking into some cellared SN Bigfoot, and then setting the stage for some Lost Coast Downtown Brown. I'm a college student, so I go where the drinks are cheap and tonight is $5 pitchers of Sierra Nevada. So, debating whether Torpedo or Kellerweis will be the target.

I was eyeing Allagash last night. Anyone here tried it and have reccomendations?
BlackDog 08:12 PM 02-18-2010
Hey ChiSox, have you tried the Backwoods Bastard? If you think the Curmudgeon sounds good, then by all means try the BB. Top rate stuff.
hornitosmonster 09:10 PM 02-18-2010
Oskar Blues Old Chub
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:22 PM 02-18-2010
Originally Posted by BlackDog:
Hey ChiSox, have you tried the Backwoods Bastard? If you think the Curmudgeon sounds good, then by all means try the BB. Top rate stuff.
Nope. Ive not had the Backwoods. But I think Ill try the Backwoods before the Curmudgeon based on reviews.
BlackDog 10:28 PM 02-18-2010
You may have to check a couple stores but you should still be able to find some BB.
Posted via Mobile Device
BlackDog 10:30 PM 02-18-2010
Had a Sam Adams Cream Stout and my last HopSlam. Considering buying one more 6'er of HopSlam.
Posted via Mobile Device
Page 86 of 351
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Up