Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 86 of 350
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Health and Fitness>Pumping Iron with Zemekone and Icehog3
The Professor 07:19 AM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Hope y'all work those jelly beans off today! :-)
It's gonna take more than one day at the gym to work off *this* jelly belly. :-):-):-)
icehog3 07:28 AM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by The Professor:
It's gonna take more than one day at the gym to work off *this* jelly belly. :-):-):-)
:-):-)
King James 09:28 AM 04-13-2009
Tom did you start taking that prohormone? How you like so far?
PeteSB75 11:15 AM 04-13-2009
So, I have a deadlift question for you guys. I've been gripping the bar with both hands over, to work my grip strength as well as everything else. One thing I see a lot of guys doing(non-strap users) is flipping one hand palm-forward for a more secure grip. So, at what weight (% of 1RM) do you switch to a pronated/supinated grip?
icehog3 01:34 PM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by King James:
Tom did you start taking that prohormone? How you like so far?
My strength is definitely up after 2 weeks. Hard to tell size gains when judged over the short run, but my lifts are up in just about every area.

For about 3 days last week I had severe nausea during the workout. Finished the workouts and was stronger than the week before, but really felt like crap...funny I was stronger when I felt so lousy. I can't be sure in any way that the nausea was connected to the pro-hormone, but that was the only thing I was doing differently. But I did not have any nausea the first week on it, so maybe I just had a bug.

Started week 3 today, and again all my lifts were up on legs and shoulders.
BigFrank 01:57 PM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by PeteSB75:
So, I have a deadlift question for you guys. I've been gripping the bar with both hands over, to work my grip strength as well as everything else. One thing I see a lot of guys doing(non-strap users) is flipping one hand palm-forward for a more secure grip. So, at what weight (% of 1RM) do you switch to a pronated/supinated grip?
85% / 3RM or higher for me, anything else I use hook grip to work on hand strength.

For some its more of a personal preference than others. A few guys I know cannot pull well using a mixed grip, but succeed when they pull double overhand. Figure out what works for you. The above is my person use of grips. Also on a side note, ditching wrist straps for accessory work will do wonders for grip strength.
PeteSB75 02:17 PM 04-13-2009
Originally Posted by BigFrank:
85% / 3RM or higher for me, anything else I use hook grip to work on hand strength.

For some its more of a personal preference than others. A few guys I know cannot pull well using a mixed grip, but succeed when they pull double overhand. Figure out what works for you. The above is my person use of grips. Also on a side note, ditching wrist straps for accessory work will do wonders for grip strength.
Currently I'm using only my hands, no straps, double overhand grip on deads. If I were to start using straps/mixed grip on my main lifts, I would still skip them for my warmup sets. You work your 1RM on deads? I'm currently going no higher than my 5RM, but I'm also still building strength, and have a ways to go before I start getting close to genetic potential. Lifting for just a bit over a year now.
The Professor 04:59 PM 04-13-2009
My strength is definitely up after 2 weeks. Hard to tell size gains when judged over the short run, but my lifts are up in just about every area.

For about 3 days last week I had severe nausea during the workout. Finished the workouts and was stronger than the week before, but really felt like crap...funny I was stronger when I felt so lousy. I can't be sure in any way that the nausea was connected to the pro-hormone, but that was the only thing I was doing differently. But I did not have any nausea the first week on it, so maybe I just had a bug.

Started week 3 today, and again all my lifts were up on legs and shoulders.
Very interesting, Admiral. Aside from the nausea those few days, have you noticed any other sides? Do you have anything special in your stack (milk thistle, etc.)?
icehog3 07:50 PM 04-13-2009
Very interesting, Admiral. Aside from the nausea those few days, have you noticed any other sides? Do you have anything special in your stack (milk thistle, etc.)?
Not stacking it, Dokk, if this works I may stack it with another product from the same manufacturer next cycle. I am still taking WF before training, as well as a post workout drink (Currently Vassive) about 1/2 hour before I take any protein in.

No other sides...I read some reviews saying some people developed some acne issues, but I haven't had any.
The Professor 09:32 PM 04-13-2009
Not stacking it, Dokk, if this works I may stack it with another product from the same manufacturer next cycle. I am still taking WF before training, as well as a post workout drink (Currently Vassive) about 1/2 hour before I take any protein in.

No other sides...I read some reviews saying some people developed some acne issues, but I haven't had any.
Awesome. All good to know. Keep us updated, Admiral. :-)

Oh ... and I just remembered. I *think* there's a hardcore gym in Denton. Found some info on a powerlifting website and emailed the contact for the place. I'm waiting to hear back. If the rates are good and the equipment is good, I might make that switch once I move. :-)
PeteSB75 06:48 AM 04-14-2009
Chest work today

Flat bench
45x5
95x5
135x5
185x5,4,3

Did some 1-arm incline dumbell work and some dips to finish out the morning. Helped the GF with her form on deads. Then walked to the train station instead of driving. Need to do that more often, is only 1.5 mi.
dogsplayinpoker 07:12 AM 04-14-2009
I wanted to thank ya'll for this thread. It has helped me to make a decision on just selling my Bowflex(which I have maxed out) instead of investing in increasing it's capacity. Now to find a good gym that won't shaft me on membership dues!!
The Professor 07:40 AM 04-14-2009
Push-pull day, today. My supplement order didn't arrive yesterday, so I'm all out of everything as of today. :-) No pre-workout juice, so I decided to kind of artificially impose energy by making today a speed/volume day.

Warmup
rope pressdowns 80lb x 10
overhead rope extensions 80lb x 10
flat bench 45 x 10 (fast), 95 x 10 (fast)

Flat Bench
12 sets of 3 reps at 135 (my 1RM is somewhere around 170 last time I checked; so that's 80% 1RM) -- this was done *fast* with minimal rest between sets (30-45 seconds)

I followed that up with 5 reps of 135 under tight control -- basically letting the weight down to my chest VERY slowly, focusing everything on the lats, then pushing up as strongly as I could. Thought about continuing up with weight; but after I did one rep of 155, I decided that would be stupid today. :-)

JM Presses
Today was my first day trying JM presses, which are a flat bench triceps exercise. I did it under strict form and discovered something worth knowing: these things are effing hard! :-)

45 x 10, 65 x 8, 75 x 6, 85 x 5

F*ck me! If you want a good tri exercise, add these in. :-)

Dip Machine
200 x 10, 215 x 5, 200 x 6

Tri Exercises
Basically, I supersetted some straight bar pressdowns, rope pressdowns, and v-bar pressdowns for 2-3 sets to failure.

Rows
Did 2 sets (or was it 3?) of 10, 8 (and maybe another 8) rotating through close, medium, and wide grip with only 135 on the bar for bent-over barbell rows. Did these fast while still under control. I was dying by the end; but that didn't stop me from trying some t-bar rows with 2pies. Did 1 set of 10 and realized I was just totally out of gas.

Total time for session: one hour.

I feel like somebody used my body to mop the floor! LoL!!!
PeteSB75 08:40 AM 04-14-2009
Push-pull day, today. My supplement order didn't arrive yesterday, so I'm all out of everything as of today. :-) No pre-workout juice, so I decided to kind of artificially impose energy by making today a speed/volume day.

Warmup

Flat Bench
12 sets of 3 reps at 135 (my 1RM is somewhere around 170 last time I checked; so that's 80% 1RM) -- this was done *fast* with minimal rest between sets (30-45 seconds)

I followed that up with 5 reps of 135 under tight control -- basically letting the weight down to my chest VERY slowly, focusing everything on the lats, then pushing up as strongly as I could. Thought about continuing up with weight; but after I did one rep of 155, I decided that would be stupid today. :-)

JM Presses
Today was my first day trying JM presses, which are a flat bench triceps exercise. I did it under strict form and discovered something worth knowing: these things are effing hard! :-)

Dip Machine

Tri Exercises
Basically, I supersetted some straight bar pressdowns, rope pressdowns, and v-bar pressdowns for 2-3 sets to failure.

Rows
Did 2 sets (or was it 3?) of 10, 8 (and maybe another 8) rotating through close, medium, and wide grip with only 135 on the bar for bent-over barbell rows. Did these fast while still under control. I was dying by the end; but that didn't stop me from trying some t-bar rows with 2pies. Did 1 set of 10 and realized I was just totally out of gas.

Sounds like a good workout to me, and fast for that many exercises/reps. Good job :-)
DavenportESQ 09:08 AM 04-14-2009

Warmup

Flat Bench

JM Presses

Dip Machine

Tri Exercises

Rows

I like how you did a lot of pulling after your pushes. I think this is the best way to maximize workouts. Also keeps your body balanced, fresh and you will get more bloodflow which is good.
The Professor 09:30 AM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
I like how you did a lot of pulling after your pushes. I think this is the best way to maximize workouts. Also keeps your body balanced, fresh and you will get more bloodflow which is good.
I wonder where I got the idea. :-) :-)

I'm thinking of making one of my Triplex pull days a triplex push-pull day ... to keep the balance and add a little more pushing into things. Maybe my Thursday? So that would be:

M: Triplex pull & grip (from ground)
T: Chest/tri/rows
W: "rest"
Th: Triplex push-pull (from hanging)
F: Legs

That would get me some shoulder work 48hrs after my chest day, which would probably be enough rest (probably). Just thinking out loud, here....
DavenportESQ 09:42 AM 04-14-2009
I wonder where I got the idea. :-) :-)

I'm thinking of making one of my Triplex pull days a triplex push-pull day ... to keep the balance and add a little more pushing into things. Maybe my Thursday? So that would be:

M: Triplex pull & grip (from ground)
T: Chest/tri/rows
W: "rest"
Th: Triplex push-pull (from hanging)
F: Legs

That would get me some shoulder work 48hrs after my chest day, which would probably be enough rest (probably). Just thinking out loud, here....
Thursday (from the hang) is probably more of dynamic speed day, where you would want to keep things lighter. If you could somehow supplement some overhead presses I think that this would be a good idea. Not sure how you could work the presses in. If you were a man beast and started light enough maybe go

Close grip high row- then close grip over head press
mid grip high pull- mid grip overhead press

Your snatch grip work should be considerably heavy though and should be too much to press.
The Professor 09:47 AM 04-14-2009
Originally Posted by DavenportESQ:
Thursday (from the hang) is probably more of dynamic speed day, where you would want to keep things lighter. If you could somehow supplement some overhead presses I think that this would be a good idea. Not sure how you could work the presses in. If you were a man beast and started light enough maybe go

Close grip high row- then close grip over head press
mid grip high pull- mid grip overhead press

Your snatch grip work should be considerably heavy though and should be too much to press.
Or I could take over two racks. :-) The time I'm in there, I'm usually the *only* person lifting away from the benches (which is all kids these days seem to be interested in).

Actually ... I could just bring a second bar over to the power rack and use one for my pulls and the other for overhead presses. :-) :-)

I'm not enough of a "man beast" to press what I'm pulling. I guarantee you that. :-)
DavenportESQ 09:52 AM 04-14-2009
Or I could take over two racks. :-) The time I'm in there, I'm usually the *only* person lifting away from the benches (which is all kids these days seem to be interested in).

Actually ... I could just bring a second bar over to the power rack and use one for my pulls and the other for overhead presses. :-) :-)

I'm not enough of a "man beast" to press what I'm pulling. I guarantee you that. :-)
hahah I wasn't saying you weren't a man beast. This much work would be hard for anyone to do. These are very complex movements which take a lot more out of you than most realize. I like the idea of having two bars. I think you should try to maintain the same idea of moving grips

The gym is always fun and a new place to try things, let us know how it works you could also work it where when you start light you could do them as strict overhead presses for the first 3 sets, then for the next 3 sets do them where they are push presses(dip underneath and press) then the following 3 do them as Jerks....That would be a impressive workout thats for sure!!!!!!!!
The Professor 09:57 AM 04-14-2009
Hmmm ... I'll give something a try on Thursday and report back. Then again, my traps are so sore right now that I don't know if I'm going to be able to DRIVE to the gym on thursday, let alone actually do Triplex pulls. :-)
Page 86 of 350
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Up