Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 86 of 270
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Good Eats>What's in your smoker?
cigarusmaximus 12:39 AM 03-26-2011
Hi folks,

I'm interested in picking up a remote temp probe for use in my bbq's. I have a natural gas grill, and a bradley smoker.

I like the idea of inserting the probe in the bbq and bringing the remote unit inside for monitoring. What make and model do you recommend?
Trying to stay under $40 if possible.

Thanks!
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 07:08 AM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus:
Hi folks,

I'm interested in picking up a remote temp probe for use in my bbq's. I have a natural gas grill, and a bradley smoker.

I like the idea of inserting the probe in the bbq and bringing the remote unit inside for monitoring. What make and model do you recommend?
Trying to stay under $40 if possible.

Thanks!
This is what I use. Works great. Has one temp probe for your smoker/pit, another for the food itself.

http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-Remot...1144824&sr=8-5
[Reply]
cigarusmaximus 10:25 AM 03-26-2011
Thanks for the suggestion!
I see a lot of mixed reviews...not only on the Mavericks, but all remote sensors. I'm a bit sceptical now. Seems like simple technology so I'm surprised they have issues.
[Reply]
Stevez 11:32 AM 03-26-2011
I purchased a Nu-Temp about 5 years ago with two sensors and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Has good range, although I don't use if far from the smoker anyway. I can't recall the price honestly, but pretty sure it's more than the $40 target you have. I did a group buy deal on a smoking website years ago. You may check out Virtualweber dot com as they have a section on accessories like this and may get a good response. Steve
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:03 PM 03-26-2011
I've had my Maverick for about 4 years now. No real issues. The range is acceptable, but then I'm going through two walls and a distance of 30-40ft. A few times it loses the pairing, but will at times reconnect on it's own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should this one die.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 01:03 PM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
6.5 hours in the smoker.......................getting closer!!:-)

:-)...I didn't quite catch your address Earl. There may be a few of us from California who will want to make an impromptu visit:-)

[Reply]
MarkinAZ 01:11 PM 03-26-2011
Originally Posted by Stevez:
I purchased a Nu-Temp about 5 years ago with two sensors and I love it. I haven't had any problems with it at all. Has good range, although I don't use if far from the smoker anyway. I can't recall the price honestly, but pretty sure it's more than the $40 target you have. I did a group buy deal on a smoking website years ago. You may check out Virtualweber dot com as they have a section on accessories like this and may get a good response. Steve
Thanks for the website Steve...

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 04:25 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

Adam, where did you purchase your fire bricks?

[Reply]
T.G 06:19 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
Adam, where did you purchase your fire bricks?

The local Ace hardware has a rock & gravel yard, cost me about $3.50 for the pair IIRC. Works quite well and very stable temps. You can use red brick if you must, but if you do, you should wrap them in many layers of aluminum foil as they can shatter.

If you're thinking about doing similar, shoot me a PM, I'll fill you in on some of the other modifications and some operating notes.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 06:26 PM 03-27-2011
Once the weather here in Hampton Roads decides to stay nice I'll be firing my smoker up. I'm pretty stoked this year since I'll get a full season in without having to go out to sea. Also the property I'm on has pecan, apple, and peach trees on it. Last year I trimmed them up to keep them out of the neighbors yards and have a good amount of wood to smoke this year, aside from the chunks I pick up at the local hardware store:-)
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 08:00 PM 03-27-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
The local Ace hardware has a rock & gravel yard, cost me about $3.50 for the pair IIRC. Works quite well and very stable temps. You can use red brick if you must, but if you do, you should wrap them in many layers of aluminum foil as they can shatter.

If you're thinking about doing similar, shoot me a PM, I'll fill you in on some of the other modifications and some operating notes.
Thank you Adam and a PM w/photo's sent:-)
[Reply]
Mr B 11:36 AM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
I've had my Maverick for about 4 years now. No real issues. The range is acceptable, but then I'm going through two walls and a distance of 30-40ft. A few times it loses the pairing, but will at times reconnect on it's own. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one should this one die.

I have not had any probs w/ my Mavrick either. However it does like to be closer than about 30 feet to stay connected.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 11:43 AM 03-29-2011
I must say the battery life on the Maverick is pretty good. Went out Sunday to smoke some wings (Brad got me craving them). I had forgotten to turn off the remote Maverick unit from my smoke two weeks previous. Still displaying the temp inside the smoker. :-)

Did some mesquite smoked buffalo wings on Sunday. WOW! They turned out so good. Brined them for 1.5 hours before dusting with a bit of seasoning, then into the smoker for 1.5 hours (1 hour of smoke). Threw on a hot grill for 10-15 mins to crisp the skin and finish cooking through. Then doused them in a mix of Franks hot sauce and some melted butter. Can't wait to make the next batch.
[Reply]
Mr B 11:48 AM 03-29-2011
That sounds tasty Bob!
[Reply]
wayner123 12:28 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by cigarusmaximus:
Thanks for the suggestion!
I see a lot of mixed reviews...not only on the Mavericks, but all remote sensors. I'm a bit sceptical now. Seems like simple technology so I'm surprised they have issues.
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Originally Posted by Mr B:
I have not had any probs w/ my Mavrick either. However it does like to be closer than about 30 feet to stay connected.
There are a few write-ups on doing mods for these ET-73's on the web. Basically it boots the range greatly. There is also the new Maverick ET-732, which is said to fix all the issues that the ET-73 had (range, switch position, etc).
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 01:01 PM 03-29-2011
Going to have to look into that. Thanks Wayne.
[Reply]
Aero95 01:14 PM 03-29-2011
Great stuff guys. Has anybody ever bought any spices from this place http://texasbbqrub.com/texasbbqrub.htm
[Reply]
cigarusmaximus 09:01 PM 03-29-2011
Thanks everyone!
[Reply]
Fordman4ever 05:09 PM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by Fordman4ever:
Alright, I'm going for it.

Cored the cabbage

cooked up bacon, onions, garlic and butter.

Filled the cabbage

gonna throw it on the smoker tomorrow for about 3-4 hours then into the oven for about 2 hours. Can't wait to see how it turns out.:-)
Here's what I'm smoking tomorrow.
[Reply]
tupacboy 09:22 AM 04-01-2011
gonna turn on the bradley this weekend for some ribs... last time i did ABT with them... want to try something new this time as a appetizer... any rec?
[Reply]
Page 86 of 270
« First < 3676848586 878896136186 > Last »
Up